NUFC Transfer Rumours

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

He was player of the season because he was class, particularly at home, but I don't think we overly relied on him due to anything other than injuries. Trippier matched his assists from RB, Bruno and Murphy weren't far behind and in terms of goals, Isak was way ahead of him and everyone. We actually got more assists from the right last season (18 vs 12) in a way making up for the difference in goals (19 from the left, 8 from the right)

You are also right. I forgot to add, our right side in trouble now as well.

I still remember how we played like before Trippier joined. Trippier is the first, and till now still the most transformational transfer we made during PIF era.

May be we should find a new hot lass for Trippier so he can leave the pain behind and focus on football again

Murphy isn't hopeless :lol: We need a new RW, but a player with 3 goals and 8 assists in 26 appearances (often from the bench) last season and 5 goals in pre season this season puts him very much in the useful category.

The hyperbole just to ram home a point is getting a bit hysterical tbh.

o01xEDi.jpeg

Murphy finished the season well and carried it into pre-season. I wouldn't write him off because of one shite game. He'll obviously not keep those numbers up, but between him and Miggy we're well covered for reserve wingers.

Gordon will likely be given a shot at RW now, which is what most people have wanted for a while. When Wilson is fit, and if Osula is ready this season, we might see more flexibility with Isak too.

2 minutes ago, NUFC_Chris said:

Watched the press conference and Howe said in answer to one question that he’s building a good relationship with Paul Mitchell, and that there’s a team of individuals working on transfers. Goes a bit against the grain of recent hand wringing that there’s an issue between them.

From memory Howe has referenced the new people involved with transfers, needing to come to arrangement with them, being a step away from the detail on transfers etc. - I don't believe at all there is an issue like it's been reported or commented on - more like it as you'd expect - a new dynamic and group of people working on transfers and Howe is adjusting to that. We'd have Ghuei signed already if Palace weren't playing hard ball like they have. I'm sure there's others they want in and budget constraints or reliance others leaving is all part of the problem, as opposed to a fall out within our camp.

2 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Everything is imminent.

New stadium (apparently) imminent.

Transfers (apparently) imminent. 

New manager (according to some on here) imminent. 

None of it is imminent which is the problem 

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Pre season form is completely irrelevant mind.

If it's contrary to a player's usual output I would agree, but if it's a continuation of existing form/output, or a sign of a player coming into the team then I think it has merit.

Also, it seemed pretty relevant in the Minteh thread. :lol:

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Murphy isn't hopeless :lol: We need a new RW, but a player with 3 goals and 8 assists in 26 appearances (often from the bench) last season and 5 goals in pre season this season puts him very much in the useful category.

The hyperbole just to ram home a point is getting a bit hysterical tbh.

He and Almiron played well because of Trippier. Thats what I think people missed out most. Livra is good but in terms of attacking he isn’t Trippier level. Before last Dec Trippier is still world best RB in terms of attacking and I ain’t kidding.

We need a new RW if Livra is our RB. Simply as that.

15 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Let’s work on the assumption that all isn’t well in the camp.

Whats the bigger picture? Whats happening?

Are PIF less interested?

Has PCP leaving created a void? Forget the negotiating, their presence in match days.. on the pitch and in the tunnel embracing the players and staff.. it bridged that gap between the coaches/management/playing staff and the suits upstairs.. there was a sense of unity and all pulling in the same direction.

That being gone isn’t nothing.

Given all that, we really needed a statement from those remaining that the plans are still in action. If PSR really is preventing us from spending again, I’d rather they came out and said that.. “we need to hold off for 6-12 months” etc.

The lack of news on the stadium is also something lurking in the background. Again, something that could give a lacklustre window some shade.

If we sign Guehi, we've spent circa £110 million this window.

Without selling they've maxed out again.

5 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

o01xEDi.jpeg

Murphy finished the season well and carried it into pre-season. I wouldn't write him off because of one shite game. He'll obviously not keep those numbers up, but between him and Miggy we're well covered for reserve wingers.

Gordon will likely be given a shot at RW now, which is what most people have wanted for a while. When Wilson is fit, and if Osula is ready this season, we might see more flexibility with Isak too.

I would say since Howe finally tried Gordon as RW, and Trippier likely to stay, a new CB has higher priority over a new RW. 

1 minute ago, Zero said:

He and Almiron played well because of Trippier. Thats what I think people missed out most. Livra is good but in terms of attacking he isn’t Trippier level. Before last Dec Trippier is still world best RB in terms of attacking and I ain’t kidding.

We need a new RW if Livra is our RB. Simply as that.

That's just not at all true though. Most of Murphy's output last season was when Trippier was out injured.

Just now, The Prophet said:

If we sign Guehi, we've spent circa £110 million this window.

Without selling they've maxed out again.

That’s a big if though.. we’ve heard this transfer has been close countless times and still nothing happens.

I’m not bed wetting over lack of spend to be clear.. being on the wrong side of PSR or close to the limit is a shit place to be.

Tonali was our purple last summer and we didn’t really get to see him.. so am wondering if they’re a bit cooler about it and just wanna see exactly where the team will be when we have everyone available (which isn’t far off).

The outcome of the City case will also be something they are watching closely.

16 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

"Completely irrelevant" is bit over the top like. Looking sharp in pre-season and continuing where you left off is a good thing, and orobably why Howe started Murphy over Almiron.

Aye probably a bit unfair from me tbh. I  just think back to Anderson last pre season, couldn’t stop scoring, then back to his normal self when the season kicked off.

Personally given the state of the market I'd have taken whatever we got offered for Almiron by Charlotte and moved for two players in the £30-35 million bracket from Europe rather than focusing entirely on Guehi. I'd have trusted Mitchell/Nixon to pick good players and for Howe to elevate them. Overall I think that would have put us in a stronger position across the squad going into the season.

While I don't believe the dynamic between the two is terminal I can't help but think it must be awkward. There's no way that Mitchell, who has a track record of building teams, will have wanted our entire window to be based around negotiating for a single (overpriced) UK based player.

I can see us getting to deadline day and palace coming out with no one will be sold now. 

And we will be knackered. 

In big games last season the quality from the right wasn't good enough and teams could deal with us very easily, that's why I believe a right winger is more important than a centreback in this window. 

For us to then basically put our full budget quota into a centreback that's been massively inflated coz he's English seems bad in our predicament where money is tight. 

43 minutes ago, christ said:

At the fee rumoured it would’ve been mental to accept it.

No idea why people want to flog our players like they’re getting rid of a job lot of kids toys on Facebook Marketplace. 

I believe the bid was 8m?

Selling him for that and signing a 40m player on the same wages as Almiron would essentially be a break even for the upcoming season.

I suspect we could have brought in someone better than him for that kind of money.

And yes, we'd have to pay another 8m every year for the next five seasons fit that signing in the above scenario, but we're going to have to buy someone next summer and do that anyway, with the fairly realistic chance we'll be stuck with Almiron and his even less attractive wages for a potential buyer when he's a year older.

In essence, we've seemingly decided to roll with Almiron for another year rather than address the RW position.

Appreciate it may go against the grain, but surely people aren't seeing this as a disaster window?

GK

Shift Dubravka and Greek and we could feasibly get Trafford as a long-term successor to Pope

Defence

We've were utterly honking at the back last season and often exposed with the lack of pace across the backline. We've addressed that with Kelly and (Hopefully) Guehi. Hall looks more settled and Livramento has been playing well. We'd have no hope of Top 4 if we didn't address the issues in defence. We got top 4 due to our defence.

Midfield

I know he's not a new signing, but Tonali back is a massive bonus. We've got depth across midfield as shown away to Bournemouth

Forwards

I get the clamour for a new RW and it's needed. However, over 100 goals across all competitions last season doesn't suggest its a major issue. I want RW upgraded ASAP, but it's not as pressing as people think. All our issues last season started at the back and we're rightly looking to address those.

It seems like to address RW we'd have needed to sell one of our blue chip players. It's just not worth it currently. PSR is holding us back and remince of the Ashley era are a major drag. We've got players on big contracts, zero value and nobody wants them. All it takes is one miss on a transfer and PSR will be nibbling our backside again. 

If its just Guehi that comes in between now and Friday I'd be satisfied we've addressed a major issue last season, lost no big players & confident we can get European football. 

2 minutes ago, andycap said:

I do feel howe would rather keep miggy he seems to rate him. 

I don't know why mind he's basically just workrate at this part of his  career. 

Would the money we'd get for him fetch the money we'd need to get someone better?

Tonali coming in at RCM and/or Trippier starting, and we should be fine.

However, any kind of rotation due to players being injured or needing a rest and it all gets tricky, when Longstaff comes in and is paired with our current right wingers and Tino.

Really think we've lost our way a bit with recruitment this summer at both centre back and right wing, and are going for absolute guarantees.

This is a real shame because we've done well landing really good players that weren't that when we got them, but reached a higher level with us.

But let's see where things are come Friday, before going too deep into this.