NUFC Transfer Rumours

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don't get why we're even imagining this doomsday scenario TBH. Complete failure of a season and selling all our best players at the same time? Do normal fans go on about this stuff?

That's what could possibly happen. I talk about all things which may or may not happen this season and look beyond that also (Sponsorship/Stadium/Rules), I would say most normal fans do

3 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Got to remember we were extremely unlucky not to get in Europe last season. I can't be arsed to check, but it must be quite rare for the team 8th or below to win a domestic trophy to get European football.

I think we're pretty much the only team to finish 7th and not get Europe, but also can't be bothered to check the real stats. 

2 minutes ago, mattypnufc said:

First time in 14 years or something that it hasn't happened

There we have it then. Last season was considered by most as a bit of a drag (the success of 22/23 obviously came into it), but we had horrific injuries & lost our marquee signing to something which is also ridiculously rare, yet in 14/15 seasons we'd be playing European football this year.

I still consider this club bloody cursed mind :lol: 

1 minute ago, Rocker said:

Getting top four without a couple of brilliant signings will be almost impossible.

If he's getting sacked for not getting top four, he's been set up for failure.

Agreed. Also a head scratcher that if keeping his job is dependent on getting Europe, wanting to blow 90% of the budget on a CB is a risk. But If that’s what Howe thinks we need to get top 4, then alls good (if we sign Guehi).

In any case, if Howe lost his job - he’d find a new one without issue. Not sure we’d have the pick of the bunch replacing him though. 

Fuck, we need top 4. 

7 minutes ago, J7 said:

Nearly everything is made up though as we’re not flies on the wall in their transfer meetings. You go on what you see and hear and then give an opinion. I love Eddie Howe and he’s generally been great for us, but that doesn’t mean we have to pretend he’s faultless and Mitchell and Eales are these big baddies as some seem to be suggesting.

I mean that's my entire point. Give your opinion if you want, but there's a load of bollocks being spouted over the last week (not from you) along the lines of:

- Howe is insisting on Guehi and doesn't want any alternatives.

- Mitchell doesn't want Guehi. 

- Howe only wants British players.

- Howe only wants a few players from a small list and won't contemplate anyone outside of that list.

There is zero evidence for any of the above - it's just lazy patter that is annoying to read.

Just now, Kanji said:

Bruno, Isak and Gordon arent going to magically demand to leave because we didn’t sign someone. Thats all pure speculation and fear seeking as per usual here. 

It’s not that simple is it, which is obvious. Failing to improve the side could result in a lower league position which could result in unhappy star players. Obviously it’s all hypothetical but you have to agree that making your team better is more likely to result in higher achievements and happier players, right?

If everyone is fit, our XI is really strong, assuming it is the following (Tino/Trippier & a few other positions are up for debate); Pope, Trippier, Schar, Botman, Hall, Tonali, Bruno G, Joelinton, Barnes (?), Isak, Gordon.

Then we will have the likes of Wilson, Willock, Longstaff, Burn, Kelly, Tino, Murphy, Almiron on the bench. Before people get started, I'm well aware some of them (Wilson) are made of glass and some aren't 'good enough' for a team challenging for European places but I'd argue they're fine as squad players & fresh legs when we need them later in games. I think Murphy & Almiron generally get the most shit as their attacking play leaves a lot to be desired, but they've been extremely well coached by Howe off the ball and both are crucial to our press.

The problem is you never want to stagnate. Appreciate Tonali is basically like a new player, but new players give everybody a boost - coaching staff, players & especially fans. We've had a solid start in terms of results (performances fair enough, but that will change) & the main feeling I get from my mates/online is that of complete negativity - it all boils down to signings. Standing still whilst the competition freshens up will never end well, so some new players were/ARE a necessity.

I don't share the view that some have expressed (mainly on Twitter I will add) that Mitchell & Eales are hopeless. People believe that because the Guehi transfer has been very public - if you look at our dealings since October 21 more or less everyone of them has been kept mainly under wraps at least until quite late in the process. It's clear that Palace have leaked it and have probably moved the goalposts along the way. It's going to happen when you deal with certain owners and it's hard to blame them for wanting as much ££ as possible for one of their star players. I'm sure we'd be the same.

I do share the view that going into the season without strengthening some obviously weaknesses in our squad would be an utter failure if we're wanting to challenge at the top end of the table again. The international competitions in the summer slowed the market down, and there was probably a bit of a vacuum when Staveley left and Ashworth was on gardening leave. But it's hard to imagine a situation where the club didn't have a list of targets from earlier in 2024 for the summer window and aside from Kelly, not signing anybody would be tragic. We're a Schar injury away from having to play Krafth & Burn as our CBs for the foreseeable future, 2 players who've played the majority of their NUFC career at full-back. Apparently Botman is back in November but it will take some time for him to get match fit. I'd be surprised if we see him kick a ball in 2024.

If the club prioritised a CB over a RW then I trust them on that. None of us want Murphy or Almiron to be our starting RW in 2024, but failing to sign a CB when they've taken this route would be terrible and put us in an awful situation if the worst was to happen.

Going back to the performances so far this season, it's hard to judge so far. Southampton we started slow and then had Schar sent off early, so it's hard to paint the full picture. I'm pretty sure we'd have figured it out and ended up winning. Bournemouth was a funny one - we started and ended well but bits in between were obviously canny shit. That being said we could have quite easily won the game just as much as we could have lost it. The concerning thing for me is that I thought we'd be back to the 22/23 energy levels and it just looks like it hasn't been there so far. It's a small sample size though and the Southampton game was more of a case of just take the win and move on. But we will see.

It goes without saying but the next 5 days will basically set the tone for the season. We're a cup-exit and a poor result against a decent Spurs side away from a really negative few weeks. Let's hope neither happen and Guehi signs - going into the international break will feel mint then. Huge 5 days.

Edited by Chicken Dancer

5 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

It’s not that simple is it, which is obvious. Failing to improve the side could result in a lower league position which could result in unhappy star players. Obviously it’s all hypothetical but you have to agree that making your team better is more likely to result in higher achievements and happier players, right?

Absolutely. Our best players will not unreasonably assume lower top half is where we're going to be stuck for the foreseeable future. Our top players deserve better than that. A major announcement on stadium or training facilities could offer some re-assurance on progress, but the fruits of those will be several years away or more.

We had the 4th best goals difference in the league last year, which historically has been a better predictor of future success than points. By expected goals, we also finished 4th. Basically, the underlying data said we were the 4th best team in the league last year, even with all the injuries and Tonali out for the season. 

I honestly think there’s no reason to panic. With normal luck with injuries, we’ll finish 4th. With good luck with injuries, we’ll do better. 

We were quite a bit behind the top 3 if you view it from the underlying data, and Chelsea were close to us. I don’t see us finishing outside the top 5.  

Edited by Taylor Swift

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Dunno why folks get het-up equating transfer activity with star player vulnerability. If Bruno, Isak and Gordon perform amazingly they could leave regardless of who we buy/where we finish. 

They could, but there is a bigger danger they leave if we have a poor season. Not signing players do send out a negative signal.

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Dunno why folks get het-up equating transfer activity with star player vulnerability. If Bruno, Isak and Gordon perform amazingly they could leave regardless of who we buy/where we finish. 

There is a difference between someone playing so well that we are unable to keep hold of them, and them leaving because they don't see the club being able to match their ambitions. But you knew that right?

1 minute ago, Sean said:

There is a difference between someone playing so well that we are unable to keep hold of them, and them leaving because they don't see the club being able to match their ambitions. But you knew that right?

But both reasons end in the same outcome, a top player leaving. 

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

If only it was all that simple. The truth is there is a trade off between keeping players and the ability to buy new players because of the legislation in place.

18 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

If everyone is fit, our XI is really strong, assuming it is the following (Tino/Trippier & a few other positions are up for debate); Pope, Trippier, Schar, Botman, Hall, Tonali, Bruno G, Joelinton, Barnes (?), Isak, Gordon.

Then we will have the likes of Wilson, Willock, Longstaff, Burn, Kelly, Tino, Murphy, Almiron on the bench. Before people get started, I'm well aware some of them (Wilson) are made of glass and some aren't 'good enough' for a team challenging for European places but I'd argue they're fine as squad players & fresh legs when we need them later in games. I think Murphy & Almiron generally get the most shit as their attacking play leaves a lot to be desired, but they've been extremely well coached by Howe off the ball and both are crucial to our press.

The problem is you never want to stagnate. Appreciate Tonali is basically like a new player, but new players give everybody a boost - coaching staff, players & especially fans. We've had a solid start in terms of results (performances fair enough, but that will change) & the main feeling I get from my mates/online is that of complete negativity - it all boils down to signings. Standing still whilst the competition freshens up will never end well, so some new players were/ARE a necessity.

I don't share the view that some have expressed (mainly on Twitter I will add) that Mitchell & Eales are hopeless. People believe that because the Guehi transfer has been very public - if you look at our dealings since October 21 more or less everyone of them has been kept mainly under wraps at least until quite late in the process. It's clear that Palace have leaked it and have probably moved the goalposts along the way. It's going to happen when you deal with certain owners and it's hard to blame them for wanting as much ££ as possible for one of their star players. I'm sure we'd be the same.

I do share the view that going into the season without strengthening some obviously weaknesses in our squad would be an utter failure if we're wanting to challenge at the top end of the table again. The international competitions in the summer slowed the market down, and there was probably a bit of a vacuum when Staveley left and Ashworth was on gardening leave. But it's hard to imagine a situation where the club didn't have a list of targets from earlier in 2024 for the summer window and aside from Kelly, not signing anybody would be tragic. We're a Schar injury away from having to play Krafth & Burn as our CBs for the foreseeable future, 2 players who've played the majority of their NUFC career at full-back. Apparently Botman is back in November but it will take some time for him to get match fit. I'd be surprised if we see him kick a ball in 2024.

If the club prioritised a CB over a RW then I trust them on that. None of us want Murphy or Almiron to be our starting RW in 2024, but failing to sign a CB when they've taken this route would be terrible and put us in an awful situation if the worst was to happen.

Going back to the performances so far this season, it's hard to judge so far. Southampton we started slow and then had Schar sent off early, so it's hard to paint the full picture. I'm pretty sure we'd have figured it out and ended up winning. Bournemouth was a funny one - we started and ended well but bits in between were obviously canny shit. That being said we could have quite easily won the game just as much as we could have lost it. The concerning thing for me is that I thought we'd be back to the 22/23 energy levels and it just looks like it hasn't been there so far. It's a small sample size though and the Southampton game was more of a case of just take the win and move on. But we will see.

It goes without saying but the next 5 days will basically set the tone for the season. We're a cup-exit and a poor result against a decent Spurs side away from a really negative few weeks. Let's hope neither happen and Guehi signs - going into the international break will feel mint then. Huge 5 days.

Cracking post

34 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Bruno, Isak and Gordon arent going to magically demand to leave because we didn’t sign someone. Thats all pure speculation and fear seeking as per usual here. 

They might not demand to leave but they might still be happy to move on. Rumours are Gordon’s head is already been turned. If we fail to get Europe and there is interest in them then keeping them becomes a lot harder. It’s not fear seeking it’s common sense 

6 minutes ago, gdm said:

They might not demand to leave but they might still be happy to move on. Rumours are Gordon’s head is already been turned. If we fail to get Europe and there is interest in them then keeping them becomes a lot harder. It’s not fear seeking it’s common sense 

Rumours that are categorically untrue.

33 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If they leave due to lack of ambition that they were promised it harms us getting potential replacements.