NUFC Transfer Rumours

1 minute ago, midds said:

I think the main difference between the anger of the Ashley transfer windows was of a clear lack of ambition. We had some money but had no interest in spending it - until we absolutely had to. When we absolutely needed a player in then we got him but generally speaking the whole 'we tried' rung true.

Now it's not the ambition that's in question, the money invested has been incredible and I'm sure that more would have been spent but for the dodgy PSR bollocks. We clearly want to spend but the Guehi deal raises the question of capability. The deals we've done this summer have been mediocre at best. We've chased Guehi for a month, we've clearly got a load of cash there to be spent and we're heading into deadline day with pocket full of cash and a lack of quality new players and the same gaps still very present. It'll now be a case of can they rather than do they get the deals done tomorrow.

I think they won’t do anything now, i expect they will have a paralysis and the briefings about not panicking and being happy with the squad will begin. 

5 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Funny thing is, throughout last season we were told by the client journalist that this would be a very busy summer with a lot of movement expected. :lol:

I'd hoped it be and I imagine most on here thought so too if you go back to posts from then. 

I'm concerned about us this season if nothing happens. We look nowhere near top 6 as it stands, have seemingly continued our inconsistent at absolute best away performances, made next to zero changes to the team in incomings and outgoings and things generally feel flat. 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

I'd hoped it be and I imagine most on here thought so to if you go back to posts from then. 

I'm concerned about us this season if nothing happens. We look nowhere near top 6 as it stands, have seemingly continued our inconsistent at absolute best away performances, made next to zero changes to the team in incomings and outgoings and things generally feel flat. 

In defence of the club and to pay a bit of devils advocate we are kinda banging on the glass ceiling at this stage, the players we want means we can only really bring in one purple per year without selling anyone. 

It kinda comes back to the overall culture of not wanting to take risks or make hard decisions which I think is one of the contribution to our current position. 

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Transformative it was described as, in fairness it may well prove to be. Just for all the wrong reasons.

it wasn't described as that btw, by anyone connected with the club. it's something that has been completely made up on social media.

We are going to have to sell Gordon, Isak or Bruno at some point to bring in a bunch new young Mitchell identified talent, there is probably no way round it but Howe wont like it and has veto, so we'll see waht breaks...

I'm all for keeping them this window, we clearly have £60m willing to spendish. We could have signed a promising cb and a promising rw for that. 

Edited by Tiresias

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

In defence of the club and to pay a bit of devils advocate we are kinda banging on the glass ceiling at this stage, the players we want means we can only really bring in one purple per year without selling anyone. 

It kinda comes back to the overall culture of not wanting to take risks or make hard decisions which I think is one of the contribution to our current position. 

Perhaps but when we've been waving ~£65m for Guehi for the better part of a month and have failed to secure him with seemingly no alternative, it looks more quite unprofessional especially for a club that stated in July that we expect to be in Europe. With how unsustainable we've looked so far, away from home for 12 months, we look nowhere near.

And aye fully agree, I mentioned that in my long vent in the Bournemouth thread. We seem to be averse to being bold in the market on incomings and outgoings. Whoever that's down to I'm unsure.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

39 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

The club will not progress so long as Howe is pulling the transfer strings. We simply won't be able to compete with the cartel 6, who run transfer business like a highly sophisticated business (which it is), if our strategy is Howe rates X player, go get him at any cost.

I know that frustrates some on here, but Hope has all but confirmed what we all suspected. Brighton just unloaded nearly a quarter billion in spending - why? Because they've invested very intelligently. We'll need to do the same if we want to progress.

I agree with that in principle, but not sure that Howe is the bottleneck you seem to think he is. It's not out of the question, but pure speculation really.

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Perhaps but when we've been waving ~£65m for Guehi for the better part of a month and have failed to secure him with seemingly no alternative, it looks more quite unprofessional especially for a club that stated in July that we expect to be in Europe. With how unsustainable we've looked so far, away from home for 12 months, we look nowhere near.

And aye fully agree, I mentioned that in my long vent in the Bournemouth thread. We seem to be averse to being bold in the market on incomings and outgoings. Whoever that's down to I'm unsure.

Oh yeah without a doubt. As Ki said this Guehi saga has been a shambles from the moment we were quoted that asking price. Fair enough you make your offer but if they are still quoting such figures you obviously have to look elsewhere and reassess things. 

Why this didn’t occur we will never know but I think it’s this which is the real kicker for me at least. 

So it’s either we have a list of targets for positions we need to strengthen and none are attainable which seems like a massive stretch) or we just focus our time and energy on single targets (same approach which dug man united current hole btw). 

I know some posters will fine these comments knee jerk but if they take a step back and consider things something has gone seriously wrong and that warrants inspection. 

I agree with the idea of a process of identifying players of a certain profile however,  surely there is plan A B and C to pivot to if your number one target (Ghuehi) doesn't come off. 

One first team player in three transfer windows is poor whichever way you dress it up. 

2 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

That’s the spirit 😁

I know it sounds negative, but many of us said when we failed to make signings in January for key positions - I think it was midfield at the time - it basically meant we were writing the season off. It sort of feels like that this time round as well.

21 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Indirectly aye. It's his call to bring Mitchell in, but he's not directly accountable for planning and execution of the transfer window. 

If Mitchell ends up being a bad hire or the wrong fit, then fair enough.

I would imagine Eales is heavily involved in the negotiation on structure of deal etc, but it should also be noted that Amanda was struggling with communication lines with PIF, being part of such a large organisation is maybe part of the problem and where just not nimble enough in the market.