NUFC Transfer Rumours

What a shit effort from everyone involved. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Edit: for those thick enough to take everything literally, I am not calling for everyone to be sacked, merely expressing anger and frustration at the window

Edited by Sean

1 hour ago, dcmk said:

Cool.

Everton spent a lot that barely improved the team. Eventually the house capitulated since it was all built on sand.

Rather we are smarter and actually sign players which we are sure about.

Agree, we should have more options and be more proactive with targets.  Hoping lessons are learnt mind.

Sadly Eddie said in his presser there aren't any lessons to really learn :lol:

12 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

We should have had the guts of 80m to spend.. they chose not to. Deals to be made today and all through the window. But they didn’t. 

Whatever way you want to look at it, something doesn’t appear to be right with the club. Unfortunately for Howe, Mitchell is above him. So only one winner if they come to fall out.

Watch Howe’s press conference. He explains it all pretty clearly.

1) There WAS money to spend.

2) They identified “4 or 5 players” per position to attempt to sign that fit into our criteria (EH listed the criteria as very specific… the right position, the right profile / attributes / attitude, and crucially the right deal for the good of the club).

3) They couldn’t get the deals done.

4) They decided against signing players that didn’t line up with their criteria of what we need.

5) EH reiterated multiple times that working relationships are GOOD.

6) EH repeatedly said that all people were in agreement on what needed to be done and how it should be done.

7) EH repeatedly said that with PSR constraints every signing has to be perfect for the club, meet all the criteria, be the right deal etc, so unfortunately in this case they chose to do nothing rather than spend on players that they didn’t feel would improve the squad or fit the profile they want for this club.

Maybe I’m just a “glass-half-full” kind of guy, but all of that seems pretty reasonable. Frustrating, yes, but completely understandable.

I really really think people need to take a step back, look at where we are, how far we’ve come in 2.5 years, and question whether needlessly creating drama out of this is really the most useful thing to do.

Our fanbase has a habit of imploding when things aren’t going exactly to plan, which is then reflected in the stadium and then ultimately on the pitch. We’ve had a great 2.5 years. We’ve hit a road bump. Don’t make it worse than it is by overreacting, because a negative atmosphere is far more likely to contribute to a bad season than a couple of players we didn’t sign.

Just now, gdm said:

I hear confidence is still high and Guehi is telling everyone he’s coming 

😁 Well, yeah, as of a few days ago he was. I’ll find out more on Sunday when I see people, but I’m assuming the injury to Palace’s other defender was ultimately the downfall 🤷‍♂️

Very relieved it's over, very disappointed with the outcome. I maintain the view that, although it's been far from ideal and I do feel quite worried about the immediate future - I wouldn't call it a shambles or an embarrassment or any other negative hyperbole. That would've been selling Bruno (for e.g.) and still not recruiting. 

I don't believe in the view that it would've been better to sell one of our best players to fund others who may not be as good, and I feel happy to support the club's general objective of only trying to recruit the very, very best they they realistically can. It's important that we get out of the cycle of desperately trying to shift unwanted players on loan/on the cheap. 

However, the approach has ultimately failed and an inquest is probably needed, but I'm not suddenly going to be forgiving of the utter bullshit rules. Fair enough if we need to improve our negotiation skills or scouting or whatever it may be, but we're not having these conversations if it wasn't for PSR. I don't want us to be able to spend like Abramovich and Mansour but there has to be something better than this.

The good thing is that we've got an extremely talented squad already with an extremely talented coach. The uncertainty now is in the players' mindset and their willingness to put everything into another season when doubts have been raised about the club's direction. We need to play ourselves into form ASAP, or I do fear that we're in for a season of treading water.

Clearly we've made our jobs harder but it really shouldn't be the end of the world. A good win on Sunday and I do think we're already moving past this whole debacle. 

4 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

😁 Well, yeah, as of a few days ago he was. I’ll find out more on Sunday when I see people, but I’m assuming the injury to Palace’s other defender was ultimately the downfall 🤷‍♂️

According to Glasner he wasn't pushing to leave.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

2) They identified “4 or 5 players” per position to attempt to sign that fit into our criteria (EH listed the criteria as very specific… the right position, the right profile / attributes / attitude, and crucially the right deal for the good of the club).

4) They decided against signing players that didn’t line up with their criteria of what we need.

6) EH repeatedly said that all people were in agreement on what needed to be done and how it should be done.

7) EH repeatedly said that with PSR constraints every signing has to be perfect for the club, meet all the criteria, be the right deal etc, so unfortunately in this case they chose to do nothing rather than spend on players that they didn’t feel would improve the squad or fit the profile they want for this club.

Maybe I’m just a “glass-half-full” kind of guy, but all of that seems pretty reasonable. Frustrating, yes, but completely understandable.

I really really think people need to take a step back, look at where we are, how far we’ve come in 2.5 years, and question whether needlessly creating drama out of this is really the most useful thing to do.

Our fanbase has a habit of imploding when things aren’t going exactly to plan, which is then reflected in the stadium and then ultimately on the pitch. We’ve had a great 2.5 years. We’ve hit a road bump. Don’t make it worse than it is by overreacting, because a negative atmosphere is far more likely to contribute to a bad season than a couple of players we didn’t sign.

Putting the fans to one side for a minute. Do you think the ambitious players at our club, who stayed another year and planned to get top 4, will be understanding of how much we tried in the window?

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

According to Glasner he wasn't pushing to leave.

I never said he was pushing to leave either… but he’s actively been telling members of our squad that he wanted to join and that he expected to join. That’s different to “pushing to leave”.

51 minutes ago, junkhead said:

It doesn't though

but there are other leagues with open windows

Not for PL clubs, but can't lower league clubs still loan PL players, and other leagues?

I was going off the past, pretty sure players have been loaned out after the deadline,?

2 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

Putting the fans to one side for a minute. Do you think the ambitious players at our club, who stayed another year and planned to get top 4, will be understanding of how much we tried in the window?

They’ll just be glad to have the walking wounded back, plus Sandro, Kelly and Osula. Onwards :indi:

1 minute ago, Weezertron said:

I can only speak to the players I have contact with, and I’ll ask them on Sunday, but they’re a pretty level headed bunch and very committed to doing their best for NUFC. They’re not going to be pissed off and start half-arsing it if that’s what you mean?

I mean, the reality we find ourselves in is that we will almost certainly lose one of our big players next summer anyway. If we don’t qualify for Europe that is more likely, sure, but if we are serious about having to play within these PSR boundaries, selling high value assets is a big part of it anyway.

I fully expect all the players to be fully invested in pushing this team as far as it can go this season. Beyond that, who knows? 🤷‍♂️

16 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Good post.

18 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

They can impose all the criteria they want. The fact is the squad isn’t good enough to compete for the top 6 unless 2/3 top 6 teams drop off this year.

To think there are only 4/5 players in the world who can improve the squad is batshit insane.

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I can only speak to the players I have contact with, and I’ll ask them on Sunday, but they’re a pretty level headed bunch and very committed to doing their best for NUFC. They’re not going to be pissed off and start half-arsing it if that’s what you mean?

I mean, the reality we find ourselves in is that we will almost certainly lose one of our big players next summer anyway. If we don’t qualify for Europe that is more likely, sure, but if we are serious about having to play within these PSR boundaries, selling high value assets is a big part of it anyway.

I fully expect all the players to be fully invested in pushing this team as far as it can go this season. Beyond that, who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Not doubting their effort going forwards, but the belief in the journey they were sold by the club.

Personally I reckon if we lose Bruno, Isak will go soon after or vice versa.

selling high value assets because they’ve had enough is very different from selling them in a calculated move to improve the squad.

It’s been an absolute disaster in my opinion. A total failure. From a club with momentum less than a year ago, we now look a shambles off the pitch. The whole Gordon/PSR affair clearly left a bitter taste in the squad, and we’ve shown our top players we aren’t as interested in competing as they were no doubt sold when joining.

Its pointless trying to point the finger in one direction, but I cannot grasp the approach to a window where you need to improve in a number of areas, lumping all your money on one over priced target. We don’t have a good enough squad yet to do that. 

A few things to add while I’m greeting on. We had the 4th oldest team in the league last year. Done nothing to address that. And we have a number of players out of contract next year, some who really aren’t up to the standard of where we are or want to be in the league, who are going to have to get new contracts unless we go crazy in the market in the next two windows. The player turnover in the next two windows is going to have to be huge unless we’re planning on taking Burn, Krafth, Murphy, Miggy, Trippier, Schar, Lascelles and Wilson into 25/26, not to mention replacing whoever we have to sell to fund the rebuild of the squad. It wasn’t a transfer window to just waste. 

Edited by J7