NUFC Transfer Rumours

Angel Gomes made his name 5 years ago before leaving Man Utd. He was U21 / U23 regular starters back at that time. I won’t say he is obscure 

Edited by Zero

I hate transfer windows. Much preferred the old days of being able to buy a player when you wanted.

Since there is a window though, I think it should end on the day the season starts, certainly before any cup matches are played 

-or-

They end it at the end of the exceedingly dull international break after only a couple of games. That way, the fans can be excited about the potential signings their clubs can make when there is nothing going on but boring England matches watching other team's players attempting to gel. 

I know we have England internationals now, but for a long spell it was just how can they shoehorn in manu, liverpool and chelsea's media darlings into the squad. 

2 hours ago, Jewel said:

Am I alone in having never heard of Angel Gomes before seeing him turn out for the England national team the other day? I was like who the fook is this guy?

its frightening how out of touch I am with football these days when it doesn’t involve NUFC.

The coverage of the French league has been excellent on BT Sport/Discovery for a good few years now.

So many players get talked about and hyped up from that league, and we get linked with so many that it's always intriguing to catch some of the games.

Lille have David and Zhegrova that we've been linked with the last few years. Fonseca was also managing there after not getting the gig with us.

Seen Gomes a fair bit because of wanting to see some of these lot. Think Fonseca was the one that started playing him deeper.

He's the kind of midfielder that I think a lot of English fans will think is quite basic or ordinary, but he is really good for build up play because he's always in really good positions to get the ball and he then moves it on to players in better positions to then build attacks.

Edited by KaKa

32 minutes ago, Stal said:

I hate transfer windows. Much preferred the old days of being able to buy a player when you wanted.

Since there is a window though, I think it should end on the day the season starts, certainly before any cup matches are played 

-or-

They end it at the end of the exceedingly dull international break after only a couple of games. That way, the fans can be excited about the potential signings their clubs can make when there is nothing going on but boring England matches watching other team's players attempting to gel. 

I know we have England internationals now, but for a long spell it was just how can they shoehorn in manu, liverpool and chelsea's media darlings into the squad. 

Fully agree.. the windows are essentially hit and hope. You don’t really know what your squad needs until a little into the season, generally after the window has shut. Not sure why they introduced it. It’s certainly not to protect clubs as any player playing for a smaller club knowing a big move is on the horizon won’t be giving it 100% for fear of injury etc.

Plus the planning involved to try and arrange incomings and outgoings is generally too much work load for even clubs our size.

The whole system is absolute bullshit.

52 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The coverage of the French league has been excellent on BT Sport/Discovery for a good few years now.

So many players get talked about and hyped up from that league, and we get linked with so many that it's always intriguing to catch some of the games.

Lille have David and Zhegrova that we've been linked with the last few years. Fonseca was also managing there after not getting the gig with us.

Seen Gomes a fair bit because of wanting to see some of these lot. Think Fonseca was the one that started playing him deeper.

He's the kind of midfielder that I think a lot of English fans will think is quite basic or ordinary, but he is really good for build up play because he's always in really good positions to get the ball and he then moves it on to players in better positions to then build attacks.

Disagree a bit.  He has a bit of the Pirlo about his style in that you can tell he used to play as a 10 or more of an attacker.  He’s got those ‘aesthetics’ to his style.  I think people have and will like the look of his style.  

I’m happy for Gomes. I followed him a little bit when he had the hype at Man U.  You could tell he had talent but the size and all of the other bits were questionable. It’s good that he’s built his career and an England manager has given him this chance. Southgate was largely ‘out of sight, out of mind’ with lads playing abroad. 

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Disagree a bit.  He has a bit of the Pirlo about his style in that you can tell he used to play as a 10 or more of an attacker.  He’s got those ‘aesthetics’ to his style.  I think people have and will like the look of his style.  

I’m happy for Gomes. I followed him a little bit when he had the hype at Man U.  You could tell he had talent but the size and all of the other bits were questionable. It’s good that he’s built his career and an England manager has given him this chance. Southgate was largely ‘out of sight, out of mind’ with lads playing abroad. 

Yeah, I was talking more about the role England were utilising him in, and how England fans would view him in that role.

Pirlo was a very aggressive playmaker from deep positions, often looking for a long killer pass to forward players.

I don't see that level of aggressive passing and risk taking from those areas with Gomes, when he sits deeper. He more facilitates things with passes through the lines.

At Lille though, he usually featured in a double pivot when I saw him and would then have freedom to get further forward, where he does look much more dangerous as a playmaker, and he will thread passes through really well when more forward. Like you say, that's when his number 10 skills shine.

I think the role he plays at Lille is better suited to him in actuality.

Aye - I just think those things look good to people. And he does it with the style of a flair player. Quick feet, sharp turns etc. 

I think the quick feet, press resistant, progressive passer profile is one of the easiest on the eye. If they’ve got an engine and can tackle that’s a… Romeo Lavia type fee.  

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

David would be an excellent replacement for Wilson if he does not demand to start, but we would need to move Wilson on now that we have Osula too. Zhegrova would be an absolute perfect rw in the winter window so i doubt it happens.  Gomes feels like a luxury purchase that would need to come after rw and cb. 

47 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

David would be an excellent replacement for Wilson if he does not demand to start, but we would need to move Wilson on now that we have Osula too. Zhegrova would be an absolute perfect rw in the winter window so i doubt it happens.  Gomes feels like a luxury purchase that would need to come after rw and cb. 

Isn’t Wilson out of contract in the summer? Resigning him would feel like a backward step (again body, only getting worse etc).

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I’m an original Wilson defender and a PSR amateur accountant. But lad does need to show us something this season.  

I mean, he's shown us plenty. He just keeps getting injured, which presumably he can't do anything about given he's model pro already. 

Will probably make sense to extend Wilson. A lot on here seem to think other clubs are clamoring for our deadwood and can be readily sold by the right person. Wilson isn't deadwood, but his chronic injury history paired with his extreme efficiency when he's healthy probably means its best to resign him since he won't fetch anything more than a nominal fee.

If he stays healthy this season, though, and (miraculously) plays 25-28 games - who knows, could see him fetching 5m or so. But still probably best to keep him around for his 8ish goals or so nailed on.

1 hour ago, Nucasol said:

Isn’t Wilson out of contract in the summer?

Forgot about that, and he will be 33 too.  Zhegrova purchase in winter and David purchase in summer would be outstanding business. I love Wilson, but we can't keep him on payroll at 33 with his injury history.  Zhegrova and Diomande next two in please.

8 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

Forgot about that, and he will be 33 too.  Zhegrova purchase in winter and David purchase in summer would be outstanding business. I love Wilson, but we can't keep him on payroll at 33 with his injury history.  Zhegrova and Diomande next two in please.

Zhegrova will be 26 next summer. Quite certain that's an age we will be avoiding moving forward unless there is an absolute bargain to be had.

1 hour ago, Upthemags said:

Will probably make sense to extend Wilson. A lot on here seem to think other clubs are clamoring for our deadwood and can be readily sold by the right person. Wilson isn't deadwood, but his chronic injury history paired with his extreme efficiency when he's healthy probably means its best to resign him since he won't fetch anything more than a nominal fee.

If he stays healthy this season, though, and (miraculously) plays 25-28 games - who knows, could see him fetching 5m or so. But still probably best to keep him around for his 8ish goals or so nailed on.

If we get back into Europe and really need a viable experienced alternative to Isak with the added games we'll be playing, we will need to let Wilson leave. He is injured way too much now.

Signing David as a replacement on a free would be great business.

I'd quite like to see what Osula can do and how he develops over the course of the season. Seemed decent in pre-season, so it's probably one last charge for Wilson this time round. Great player on his day, but I'm not even sure he fits that well with our style of play now.

Get into Europe again and we'll definitely need another striker next time anyway. Financial rules dependent, I know, but even with Botman back, Schar will be a year older so a CB minimum, right winger and GK would be needed, assuming we get there.