NUFC Transfer Rumours

We aren't Brighton, I see the comparison a lot but the scope of the two clubs is quite different imo. 

Here as something's to keep in mind when we discuss selling our best players. 

1, Bruno is 26 on a canny wage and isn't exactly mobile it makes him less attractive in the market in comparison to say a Caicedo, we've also built our system around him so selling him would require a big re think regarding how we play. 

2 Isak. We paid 63m for Isak so selling him means we need a lot to consider it, his increasingly patchy injury record and the fact the transfer market is slowing down makes cashing in tricky, also replacing a player of such quality doesn't seem feasible. 

3 Gordon, we also paid a lot for Gordon and are seemingly on the verge of making him out highest earner. These two factors means any club interested would have to pay a significant amount likely more than he's worth and give him another wage bump, it also remains to be seen if hes as good as I believe or it was a purple patch and he's reverting to his level. 

We are unlikely to get as much as we would want for any of our stars to summarise. 

5 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

We aren't Brighton, I see the comparison a lot but the scope of the two clubs is quite different imo. 

1, Bruno is 26 on a canny wage and isn't exactly mobile it makes him less attractive in the market in comparison to say a Caicedo, we've also built our system around him so selling him would require a big re think regarding how we play. 

2 Isak. We paid 63m for Isak so selling him means we need a lot to consider it, his increasingly patchy injury record and the fact the transfer market is slowing down makes cashing in tricky, also replacing a player of such quality doesn't seem feasible. 

3 Gordon, we also paid a lot for Gordon and are seemingly on the verge of making him out highest earner. These two factors means any club interested would have to pay a significant amount likely more than he's worth and give him another wage bump, it also remains to be seen if hes as good as I believe or it was a purple patch and he's reverting to his level. 

We are unlikely to get as much as we would want for any of our stars to summarise. 

Merry Xmas [emoji38]

5 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

An example of us not capitalising at the right time. I think there’s a blend; let’s not be a Brighton or Southampton and be used as a feeder club, selling the moment our stars play well. But let’s not hold all our players until they diminish. Liverpool did it so well with Coutinho.

2 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Merry Xmas [emoji38]

Aye sorry for the miserable takes, just calling it how I see it. It's not easy to flip players for 50m + because your pool of buyers is so small and these buyers already have players who are extremely good when production lines via academies, feeder clubs and scouting networks. We are probably the one club which places such emphasis on premier league experience. 

58 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

Other than top targets not allowed to go in the winter window there should be no excuses. Mitchell will have been in post months and would have seen the issue first hand. There will always be opportunities to find players heading to the last 6/12/18 months of their contract. We might not raise any more through sales in the winter window but we know from the summer money is there just got to hope we can be clever with the funds we have. Issue as always with going abroad isn't that players aren't good enough it's the Eddie factor of waiting a chunk of games to introduce them which depending on how we are doing results wise may not have time for.

January window can be so tricky because clubs always want to keep their better players until the summer at least, when they are more willing to sell.

We are also having to be so careful now due to the PSR situation, that we can't take too many risks, because we are in desperation mode trying to make something of the season.

Feels like we've already made a mess of things and might be better off waiting until the summer and having a more extensive rebuild.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

January window can be so tricky because clubs always want to keep their better players until the summer at least, when they are more willing to sell.

We are also having to be so careful now due to the PSR situation, that we can't take too many risks, because we are in desperation mode trying to make something of the season.

Feels like we've already made a mess of things and might be better off waiting until the summer and having a more extensive rebuild.

Don't disagree that the winter window isn't where you want to be doing your main business and alot of clubs would want a premium for letting players go mid season however it won't be the case for all players especially those out of favour/needing a fresh start/not signing a new deal the RW is setting such a low bar right now that surely we can do better. Ideally we would find a player who can play RW and forward to mix our play up a bit. Potentially sacking a season off to take stock next summer doesn't seem an option for the trajectory the club wish to go in to keep their best players or maximise their value and attract the bigger sponsorship rates etc

4 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

Don't disagree that the winter window isn't where you want to be doing your main business and alot of clubs would want a premium for letting players go mid season however it won't be the case for all players especially those out of favour/needing a fresh start/not signing a new deal the RW is setting such a low bar right now that surely we can do better. Ideally we would find a player who can play RW and forward to mix our play up a bit. Potentially sacking a season off to take stock next summer doesn't seem an option for the trajectory the club wish to go in to keep their best players or maximise their value and attract the bigger sponsorship rates etc

The situation sucks. It's not impossible, but I think we'll be very fortunate to find some solutions to help in January.

42 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Is our system built around Bruno? I’d argue it’s not, but it should be. He’s the one who primary takes it off the CBs, but he’s part in the midfield 3 is no different to the other two, and that’s what hurts us now IMO. 

Either keep him deep in a two / as the single one, or have him the furthest forward. 

1 minute ago, Sibierski said:

Is our system built around Bruno? I’d argue it’s not, but it should be. He’s the one who primary takes it off the CBs, but he’s part in the midfield 3 is no different to the other two, and that’s what hurts us now IMO. 

Either keep him deep in a two / as the single one, or have him the furthest forward. 

It definitely is IMO hence we play a system which nobody else plays. With Bruno we kind of want to have our cake and eat it. We want him to be free to create as well as be a 6. 

7 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

It definitely is IMO hence we play a system which nobody else plays. With Bruno we kind of want to have our cake and eat it. We want him to be free to create as well as be a 6. 

After Shelvey left, I don't understand why we never just got someone else to sit in that deeper role.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

After Shelvey left, I don't understand why we never just got someone else to sit in that deeper role.

Eddie didn't want a dedicated 6 and I'm guessing the Bruno zubimendi type aren't attainable. 

48 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Which he did for a good while.

I think if the last transfer window taught us anything it's that there are very few PL clubs we can deal with.

Really need a couple of players to freshen the squad up and it's pretty obvious where - we needed them last summer to be fair and that seemed to be the messaging at the start of the window - so hopefully Mitchell is on the case for January looking in Europe and further afield instead.

January will be a pretty big test for me as to whether this transfer relationship with Howe and Mitchell will work.

3 minutes ago, Abacus said:

I think if the last transfer window taught us anything it's that there are very few PL clubs we can deal with.

Really need a couple of players to freshen the squad up and it's pretty obvious where - we needed them last summer to be fair and that seemed to be the messaging at the start of the window - so hopefully Mitchell is on the case for January looking in Europe and further afield instead.

January will be a pretty big test for me as to whether this transfer relationship with Howe and Mitchell will work.

Yeah and it will be Howe having to work with Mitchell. Hopefully he can let go of the reigns a bit! 

23 minutes ago, wallsendlad1952 said:

But they seem to manage to replace those players sold with players just as good. 

Our best players are a different type and different level to Brighton’s. Theirs are fairly unknown players signed based on a well established data analysis team that has probably been monitoring all of world football for years. Generally they didn’t cost them much so selling for a profit is fairly easy. 

Ours are well known players who either more successful clubs didn’t gamble on or they were having a slight career dip. We paid fairly high fees and selling them for a profit means finding a very rich buyer and also massively weakening our team. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

When it comes to the best of the rest. Us, Brighton, Villa. Our transfer policy is may e the weakest. Tbh its hard to compare as thr two other have had a much longer time properly developing their teams. I feel we too a more quick fix approach which pre ffp/psr would've worked. But psr is designed for you to not do this as a long term option.

It's also about which player would we miss if sold and how replacable are they. Villa sold luiz and diaby for profit. They has yet to be any negative impact from this. 

We need to be better at selling. We don't make the commercial revenue of the likes of Manchester to be careless with this sort of thing. Only our academy player and Bruno would be able to be sold with a substantial profit. 

We’re getting everything in place, we need to be patient. Our transfer policy was suitable for the position we were in and the people we had in post. We went from relegation battle to the champions league FFS, how good to we want our transfer policy to be? :lol:

Our valuable players are essential to our team. Sell Bruno, spend the money, still finish lower in the table. That’s a strong possibility. It’s not like Brighton where every player is interchangeable and basically just a number on a spreadsheet. 

We’ll get to the point where we’re bringing more saleable players though, I’m sure. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We’re getting everything in place, we need to be patient. Our transfer policy was suitable for the position we were in and the people we had in post. We went from relegation battle to the champions league FFS, how good to we want our transfer policy to be? :lol:

I hear this arguement a lot but I don't really see it. If we are not closing the revenue gap we are falling behind, we know for a fact consistent achievement required a big budget and in this regard we are way behind and hamstrung by the rules. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

I hear this arguement a lot but I don't really see it. If we are not closing the revenue gap we are falling behind, we know for a fact consistent achievement required a big budget and in this regard we are way behind and hamstrung by the rules. 

I was talking about our transfer policy, not sure how this relates. Yeah we need to grow our commercial revenue, of course. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I was talking about our transfer policy, not sure how this relates. Yeah we need to grow our commercial revenue, of course. 

Everything comes back the commercial side given the rules. Early days obviously and maybe it's not reported on but in not seeing an influx of data people or scouts. 

I'm more concerned about the class ceiling I feel we face.