NUFC Transfer Rumours

1 hour ago, nufcjmc said:

Don't disagree that the winter window isn't where you want to be doing your main business and alot of clubs would want a premium for letting players go mid season however it won't be the case for all players especially those out of favour/needing a fresh start/not signing a new deal the RW is setting such a low bar right now that surely we can do better. Ideally we would find a player who can play RW and forward to mix our play up a bit. Potentially sacking a season off to take stock next summer doesn't seem an option for the trajectory the club wish to go in to keep their best players or maximise their value and attract the bigger sponsorship rates etc

We sort of sacked off last season as well, we couldn't afford to make the signings we needed when we got a boatload of injuries, then weren't really in a position to fix it in January without selling Miggy to the Saudi league which was blocked by the player.

Same could happen this season as well. We wanted a CB and couldn't get Guehi through the door. As it turns out, we seem to have bigger issues at RW and striker cover, and this isn't likely to be fixed this season either. It might take a couple of seasons of trading, and bringing in some Mitchell signings who will hopefully prove instant hits, to plug those gaps. With PSR restrictions we can't do it any other way.

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Everything comes back the commercial side given the rules. Early days obviously and maybe it's not reported on but in not seeing an influx of data people or scouts. 

I'm more concerned about the class ceiling I feel we face. 

Ah fair enough, yeah. But I’m sure we’re aware of the need for data-driven cheaper signings, I think there was an Athletic article last week about our plans for that but I can’t read it because of the pay wall. 

My point was more that everyone seems to be gutted that we didn’t sell a big player or we’re not great sellers like Villa and Brighton. But our players and squad are very different to Brighton’s at the moment, and every top player we sell could mean real reductions in our points total. 

I’ve waited 15 years for a football club I’m not ashamed of. People seem to have adapted to the situation and started asking for more remarkably quickly. Forgetting about what we’ve already achieved from an unbelievably low starting point. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I think being owned by the Saudi's complicates things because effectively. it's blocked off the one place who have big money, other than the PL. 

For optical reasons I presume, we don't seem to want to sell there because of the PR or how it will look - but the only other league with big money is the PL and they don't want to help us either. 

So we're buggered either way. 

If our only activity in January is selling Almiron or Murphy for a symbolic fee to one of the struggling teams in the league, and buy a new RW using whatever we sold Almiron or Murphy for + some of the Guehi money I'd be very happy.