NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

13 minutes ago, James said:

I just got Excel out and calculated the amortisation fees of the whole squad (so even players like Manquillo)

After we sign Hall, our annual amortisation fees will be £107m (my method over estimates a little), representing a £31m increase compared to last season.

why do I mention this? Well if you factor in new income - Sela, CL, higher league prize money, ASM well this more than covers this increase. In fact I reckon that there is now room for two more players if we want to.

So a top class cb?

I wonder if we’d considered moving for Laporte on a loan to buy option. He’s still only 29 and played at the top level. Would certainly add depth to the squad but he’s probably on very high wages given the Saudi interest. He’s also left footed so some competition for Botman 

17 minutes ago, James said:

I just got Excel out and calculated the amortisation fees of the whole squad (so even players like Manquillo)

After we sign Hall, our annual amortisation fees will be £107m (my method over estimates a little), representing a £31m increase compared to last season.

why do I mention this? Well if you factor in new income - Sela, CL, higher league prize money, ASM well this more than covers this increase. In fact I reckon that there is now room for two more players if we want to.

Presuming this is amortisation across their full length of contract or 5 years? Do we think the club might have paid more up front for a couple of players which might hit them P&L wise and could be a handbrake? They admitted they did this for Gordon.

2 minutes ago, PhilT said:

I wonder if we’d considered moving for Laporte on a loan to buy option. He’s still only 29 and played at the top level. Would certainly add depth to the squad but he’s probably on very high wages given the Saudi interest. He’s also left footed so some competition for Botman 

Real Madrid rumoured to be on it. Cover for Militao doing his knee.

Edited by Nucasol

17 minutes ago, James said:

We might also be very close to UEFA's 90% limit of wages/turnover.

2 minutes ago, junkhead said:

We might also be very close to UEFA's 90% limit of wages/turnover.

Or even well over. We were at around 95% in the last published figures. We’ve only gone and added a lot of quality players on top of that, without being able to get rid of many. New sponsors will help, of course, but I reckon we’re still right up there. 

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

Or even well over. We were at around 95% in the last published figures. We’ve only gone and added a lot of quality players on top of that, without being able to get rid of many. New sponsors will help, of course, but I reckon we’re still right up there. 

That was counting the rest of the likes of Hendrick, Hayden etc full contracts, so they won't cost us anything this season for the accounts, and if we manage to get rid of them or part of their wages it will count as profit. 

Just now, Nobody said:

That was counting the rest of the likes of Hendrick, Hayden etc full contracts, so they won't cost us anything this season for the accounts, and if we manage to get rid of them or part of their wages it will count as profit. 

Sounds right - didn’t we write off early a load of the outcast gang wages?

2 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Why won’t we be including them this year if they’re still here? They’ve still got 2/3 years left to go, and the accounts will show that?  

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Why won’t we be including them this year if they’re still here? They’ve still got 2/3 years left to go, and the accounts will show that?  

See above. Saw somewhere we recognised them in full for the purposes of the accounts previously. Might have been SwissRamble.

2 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

See above. Saw somewhere we recognised them in full for the purposes of the accounts previously. Might have been SwissRamble.

Ah, great- will have to see if I can find the info 👍

12 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Ah, great- will have to see if I can find the info 👍

The Athletic's take on the last accounts mentions it vaguely:

A staggering £14.2m was also added into that pot covering “onerous employment contracts”, which essentially means writing off the wages of players who are no longer considered part of the first-team squad. That is likely to include Jeff Hendrick, Ciaran Clark and Dwight Gayle.

https://theathletic.com/4375304/2023/04/05/newcastle-united-accounts-explained/

Edited by junkhead

Just now, junkhead said:

The Atletic's take on the last accounts mentions it vaguely:

A staggering £14.2m was also added into that pot covering “onerous employment contracts”, which essentially means writing off the wages of players who are no longer considered part of the first-team squad. That is likely to include Jeff Hendrick, Ciaran Clark and Dwight Gayle.

https://theathletic.com/4375304/2023/04/05/newcastle-united-accounts-explained/

That’s the one. Won’t include Hayden or Fraser yet so may only be £2.5m of Hendrick’s wages for this season.

Didn’t realise Ramble has put all the analysis behind a paywall now.

40 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

A solid 7.5/10 window if we sign Hall.

Feels a tad harsh that. 

We've added a game-changing midfielder, a goal-scoring winger, and are close to having future-proofed our fullbacks with young English defenders, both of whom are quite versatile. I have to see that as a nine. Case to be made we need to upgrade centre back, but I don't hate the idea of adding Burn to that pool of players while we let the money lazer recharge. 

2 minutes ago, junkhead said:

They also mention that the 95% wages/turnover ratio for that accounting year is inflated due to Bruce's compensation and the hiring of Eddie's team. 

Bruce’s compo alone was £8m which will be more than Tonali’s wage coming in. Let alone the Squad of Steve’s he had on his crony coaching staff.

1 minute ago, nemtizz said:

Given our FFP restraints (which have obviously been exaggerated by the club) it’s been a perfect window.

Yep. Signing young players with huge potential like Livramento and Hall means our wages will be reasonable as they won't be on big pay, with the upside they are both serious talent. For established players of that type it would probably cost you twice as much in both fees and wages. With FFP we just couldn't afford more than one or two. I guess you would put Tonali and Bruno in that bracket.

10 on 10. We have a club that tries again, whether I'm fully on board with the skills of a particular signing or not doesn't matter, we have a great team, manager and some cracking effort is going in to making us the best we can be, riding this wave after the stormy seas of the last 15 years and seeing where we end up is magical.

54 minutes ago, GEFAFWISP said:

10 on 10. We have a club that tries again, whether I'm fully on board with the skills of a particular signing or not doesn't matter, we have a great team, manager and some cracking effort is going in to making us the best we can be, riding this wave after the stormy seas of the last 15 years and seeing where we end up is magical.

Amen man. Amen!

2 hours ago, Manxst said:

Wasn't that as we had to pay huge fees to get rid of Bruce. A final parting gift if the Ashley era.

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

£75m net spend.

image.png.1be571fc93f95dd1d3d9ccf30543f385.png

Is it though? Tonali £53m Barnes £38m minus Wood £15m Darlow .5m Shelvey .5m = £75m

So we had to sell ASM to increase budget and furthermore unlock the FFP even more so…

Selling ASM £25m has unlocked Liv £30m and hopefully Hall £28m (possibly to be loan fee and bulk next years budget) is the way I’m following it and therefore would still give us room for a similar big deal for a RCB.

Despite me not wanting us to the sale of ASM has allowed us to get 2 if not 3 players in that EH wants.