NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

20 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

We're not selling Longstaff anytime soon. Until the academy really starts producing consistently we will need Longstaff around for homegrown rule reasons in European competitions. 

I don't think we'll sell him, for the reasons you mentioned as well as Howe seems to love him but he's the weakest link in that list of players 

6 hours ago, nemtizz said:

RIP handsome CB pairing.

Haha. No toothless heedbangers is maybe where weve always gone wrong. Scott, Howey, Peacock, Albert, Woodgate, Schar - not a fucking Moran, Bruce, Adams or Keown anywhere to be seen.

22 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

We're not selling Longstaff anytime soon. Until the academy really starts producing consistently we will need Longstaff around for homegrown rule reasons in European competitions. 

A salient but soberingly contemporary point well made. Beautiful game.

3 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Phillips and Ramsdale on loan, and maybe a right winger on a permanent if he’s quality and available? Would that be realistic?

I'd take this, or even bringing Minteh back to freshen things up if our first choice RW options aren't available.

Doubt half a season around the club would do him harm and we can easily loan him out again in the summer if need be.

7 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Phillips and Ramsdale on loan, and maybe a right winger on a permanent if he’s quality and available? Would that be realistic?

I would take Ramsdale on loan with a view to a permanent if he looks the biz. Wouldn’t want Phillips long term so would be against us splashing a 3 million loan fee on him.

A forward should be the priority and if we’ve got any spare cash that’s where i’d hoy it at.

I’d even consider an out and out striker like Sesko and moving Isak wide left to try and spark things. Also it would address Wilson’s long term replacement and future proof us.

Edited by Whitley mag

4 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Still don't understand people thinking ramsdale unless ridiculous money is realistic, arsenal have no need to nor want to lose him and legohead hates us. Makes zero sense 

He's not even an upgrade on Pope either , if we are spending big money on a goalie it needs to be one who is going to be our number one for years .

1 minute ago, Geogaddi said:

He's not even an upgrade on Pope either , if we are spending big money on a goalie it needs to be one who is going to be our number one for years .

I didn't want to open that can but very much agree with you 

50 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

We can’t have both on loan, as we already have Hall on loan, your only allowed 2 PL loans at a time 

Keeper is number one priority and then several furlongs beyond that it's probably another CM. I know Miggy is public enemy number one but once the pressure on him has been alleviated by virtue of rests and Murphy/Barnes returning, we'll see his performances pick up imo. 

8 hours ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

They tried to get too clever with the transfer strategy in the summer.

Just buy/ loan a RW and a number 6. It really doesn’t take a genius DoF to work that out.

I think it is unfair to assume they were "trying to be clever".

They had very large constraints on what they could do, from FFP and potential approprium from selling players to Saudi. We could not sell two or more players like media darlings Liverpool and Chelsea did. The irony is that Israel has since killed dozens more journalists than Jamal Khashoggi, but this has been met with almost universal media silence.

Our owners also inherited a lot of long-contract Ashley deadwood that is messing up FFP on the wages front.

14 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I know Miggy is public enemy number one but once the pressure on him has been alleviated by virtue of rests and Murphy/Barnes returning, we'll see his performances pick up imo. 

He’s either a substitute from next season or sold to generate FFP wiggle room. A team with aspirations to consistently be a Top 4/6 side doesn’t have Miggy as their primary RW. He’s bearing the brunt of no options in his position but as a winger I’d expect more than 6 assists over the 130 odd games he’s played for us. As an example:

Solano in 2001/02 - 37 games, 7 goals and 9 assists

Solano in 2002/03 - 31 games, 7 goals and 6 assists

Robert in 2001/02 - 36 games, 8 goals and 11 assists 

Robert in 2002/03 - 27 games, 5 goals and 7 assists 

That’s the level of productivity we need to aspire to from wingers if we’re serious about being a consistent European places force.

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

I would take Ramsdale on loan with a view to a permanent if he looks the biz. Wouldn’t want Phillips long term so would be against us splashing a 3 million loan fee on him.

A forward should be the priority and if we’ve got any spare cash that’s where i’d hoy it at.

I’d even consider an out and out striker like Sesko and moving Isak wide left to try and spark things. Also it would address Wilson’s long term replacement and future proof us.

I read (not sure if bollocks) it's a £7.5 million loan fee which would be daft.

38 minutes ago, Stottie said:

I think it is unfair to assume they were "trying to be clever".

They had very large constraints on what they could do, from FFP and potential approprium from selling players to Saudi. We could not sell two or more players like media darlings Liverpool and Chelsea did. The irony is that Israel has since killed dozens more journalists than Jamal Khashoggi, but this has been met with almost universal media silence.

Our owners also inherited a lot of long-contract Ashley deadwood that is messing up FFP on the wages front.

There's always the crazy notion that the club thought what they did was correct despite the experts on here

Just now, Fezzle said:

There's always the crazy notion that the club thought what they did was correct despite the experts on here

Of course the club did what they thought was correct, that isn’t even in question. 

On a short term basis it’s been proven to be incorrect mind, especially given some of the areas weren’t strengthen which a lot of people hoped would have been. 

Don’t get me wrong either, this time next reason we might look back at this window as a success, hall might become a world beater, Barnes banging them in Tonali the literal new signing, such is football. 

15 minutes ago, sempuki said:

I read (not sure if bollocks) it's a £7.5 million loan fee which would be daft.

It is, but we'd probably make that back in the PL prize money we'd otherwise lose if Dubs stays in nets until May.

1 hour ago, black_n_white said:

Think that would be a really bang average window tbh, obviously loans would be cheap but I’d assume obligations to buy would be included and I wouldn’t want Ramsdale or Phillips long term.

Just now, r0cafella said:

Of course the club did what they thought was correct, that isn’t even in question. 

On a short term basis it’s been proven to be incorrect mind, especially given some of the areas weren’t strengthen which a lot of people hoped would have been. 

Don’t get me wrong either, this time next reason we might look back at this window as a success, hall might become a world beater, Barnes banging them in Tonali the literal new signing, such is football. 

People are literally saying they were completely wrong and reveling in the fact they told us so, some comments are mental tbf. Even half the injuries this wouldn't be an issue, am sure long term it will be right mind. 

1 minute ago, Fezzle said:

People are literally saying they were completely wrong and reveling in the fact they told us so, some comments are mental tbf. Even half the injuries this wouldn't be an issue, am sure long term it will be right mind. 

Some people are upset for sure, I understand. Personally when reading this place and participating in discussions I do my best to assume people are posting in good faith, it makes it a lot easier to process and emphasise with POV which may differ from my own. 

People who are wuming I generally try and ignore. 

42 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

He’s either a substitute from next season or sold to generate FFP wiggle room. A team with aspirations to consistently be a Top 4/6 side doesn’t have Miggy as their primary RW. He’s bearing the brunt of no options in his position but as a winger I’d expect more than 6 assists over the 130 odd games he’s played for us. As an example:

Solano in 2001/02 - 37 games, 7 goals and 9 assists

Solano in 2002/03 - 31 games, 7 goals and 6 assists

Robert in 2001/02 - 36 games, 8 goals and 11 assists 

Robert in 2002/03 - 27 games, 5 goals and 7 assists 

That’s the level of productivity we need to aspire to from wingers if we’re serious about being a consistent European places force.

I definitely think we will get that from the left eventually with Barnes and Gordon (throw in Joes and Anderson as Wilcards)

The right we definitely don’t - only have Miggy and Murphy - you can add Gordon when we have everyone fit - however a winger in necessary and a forward who can drift to the left - I am all for Bakayoko and Mbuemo

20 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Spot on, great angle. Barnes and Tonali have been a disaster but I don’t think that’s the clubs fault and in Barnes case not his fault either. Neither situation you could predict particularly Barnes injury. Tonali is slightly different, could they have done more background work? Who knows, seems unlikely but he’s a recovering addict ffs. 

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Keeper is number one priority and then several furlongs beyond that it's probably another CM. I know Miggy is public enemy number one but once the pressure on him has been alleviated by virtue of rests and Murphy/Barnes returning, we'll see his performances pick up imo. 

i'm an old git but this still made me chuckle.