NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

It is very interesting that mainly through us there is a lot of talk around FFP among the journalists at the moment, coupled with barely any business being done it seems. 

we may well not sign anyone this Jan but feel there is a bigger move on going in terms of changing the narrative around FFP

We’re in a perfect taildive at the moment.  The further we drop down the table and the more injuries we have making it more unlikely that we’ll get a big bounce back, the less the club will be willing to push in terms of FFP.  The prize money difference alone between 4th and 14th is £25m.  The potential lack of European football next year also damages next season’s finances.

I’m becoming convinced no-one will be coming in, including on loan.  Hope I’m wrong. 

37 minutes ago, NWMag said:

It is very interesting that mainly through us there is a lot of talk around FFP among the journalists at the moment, coupled with barely any business being done it seems. 

we may well not sign anyone this Jan but feel there is a bigger move on going in terms of changing the narrative around FFP

I still think a lot of that is due to their own failure to understand it.  The Ronny Gill’s patter has been borderline delusional until last week - that young tit who does the podcast with John Gibson going on about needing to sign a centre forward this window.  Don’t know what planet some of them are on.

I think it’s embarrassing how little they understood how hampered we are by FFP, and they’ve sold a false narrative to the support. 

If we have to pay £40M + £7M in a loan fee for Philips I rather think we should buy 2 young players(1 midfielder and 1 forward) for £10-15M each.

Two players who could be backup/squadplayers for now. Play them when others need a rest and give them time to develop and become good players in the future.

57 minutes ago, Toon No9 said:

If we have to pay £40M + £7M in a loan fee for Philips I rather think we should buy 2 young players(1 midfielder and 1 forward) for £10-15M each.

Two players who could be backup/squadplayers for now. Play them when others need a rest and give them time to develop and become good players in the future.

Ideally, but then we'd likely have the same situation as we do with Hall. Which doesn't help as Eddie will take a while to trust them, if they even meet his required level. 

Chelsea did well with the loophole of signing new players on 8-9 year contracts. this will imo catch up with them quite hard in few years but short term it was a quick fix vs FFP.

and also they wont be able to sell players for 100-150 each season without weakening themselves unless saudi club will jump to help them, Boehly does have some Saudis connections.

Wht they will get done for tho is the historical shady things they did under Abra which they admitted, so PL just has to charge them without much fuss and decide on the punishment given they admitted to these things blaming previous ownership. Uefa already threw 10m euro punishment for them for these. bit surprised takes PL lot longer for same charges.

He isn’t young anymore, big wages, “expensive” considering no resale value. Also not sure about him considering how little he has played in the last couple of years. Much rather see that money spent elsewhere. Him not doing reasonably well is the least of the worrries but aye. 

Edited by Ikon

2 hours ago, Ikon said:

I would imagine there are lots more options than Phillips. Ones that make more sense for now AND long term. 

We must be keeping our cards very close to our chests then because apart from Phillips I haven't heard a peep about other midfield options.

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

We must be keeping our cards very close to our chests then because apart from Phillips I haven't heard a peep about other midfield options.

I meant it more like there are other options that would help us out. Even if not Phillips. Whether we are interested or not is a different matter. Even if we could afford him I wouldn’t go the Phillips route. But aye, seems very very quiet. 

Edited by Ikon

9 minutes ago, TRon said:

Gotta hope it's a Saudi player. Makes a lot of sense, especially in context of a short-term, FFP-compliant fix, which Joelinton means we really need. I don't think people could dislike us more anyway. 

Will wait to see what the end of the transfer window brings, but so far this window, I’m disappointed in our recruitment team. We’ve been engulfed in an injury crisis for months, surely deals should have been in an advanced stage. We’ve had quite a long lead-in time in identifying what the team needs.

I’m also frustrated at how we don’t seem to be shopping in markets where we could get better-value, if finances are this stretched. Brighton signing Barco for £8m springs to mind. Do our scouts even do anything? 

I would have been delighted to have signed Phillips from Leeds. I genuinely thought he was a good centre-mid; excellent range of passing, good in the tackle and good positional sense, but the worry is that he's let his career stagnate without seemingly kicking up a fuss.

Could you see Bruno happy to sit on the bench for big wages? I don't think he would. He strikes me as someone who's happy picking up his pay, without really doing anything, and that raises a big question mark for me.

I do think Howe could reignite that fire in his belly, though, but only if the price us right. 

26 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Will wait to see what the end of the transfer window brings, but so far this window, I’m disappointed in our recruitment team. We’ve been engulfed in an injury crisis for months, surely deals should have been in an advanced stage. We’ve had quite a long lead-in time in identifying what the team needs.

I’m also frustrated at how we don’t seem to be shopping in markets where we could get better-value, if finances are this stretched. Brighton signing Barco for £8m springs to mind. Do our scouts even do anything? 

If we sign no one I think it's because they don't see the point in investing now in order to chase 7th, thereby reducing our summer budget and affecting next season's chase for 4th. It suggests to me that they trust Howe and can live with a mid-table finish this time.

So should we tbh; I'm desperate to be in Europe and would love a Europa campaign, but I can respect the long-term sense in not recruiting now.

Would be criminal to not still aim for top 6 imo. Also, IF possible to get a quality young player in for CM it would help us now as well as getting said player ready for next season. Doesn’t necessarily have to be expensive. There are options out there I reckon. Would give a slight boost too to the current players. Instead of going with barely any central midfielders and basically giving up this season. Even if not literally. 

Edited by Ikon

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If we sign no one I think it's because they don't see the point in investing now in order to chase 7th, thereby reducing our summer budget and affecting next season's chase for 4th. It suggests to me that they trust Howe and can live with a mid-table finish this time.

So should we tbh; I'm desperate to be in Europe and would love a Europa campaign, but I can respect the long-term sense in not recruiting now.

Agreed. It’s a 5 year plan - if we sign no one this window I’m 100% confident we will invest in the summer and start next season in a considerably stronger place than we started this one. With less games to play if we haven’t made Europe. Progress is never a straight line. 

56 minutes ago, Pablo123 said:

I would have been delighted to have signed Phillips from Leeds. I genuinely thought he was a good centre-mid; excellent range of passing, good in the tackle and good positional sense, but the worry is that he's let his career stagnate without seemingly kicking up a fuss.

Could you see Bruno happy to sit on the bench for big wages? I don't think he would. He strikes me as someone who's happy picking up his pay, without really doing anything, and that raises a big question mark for me.

I do think Howe could reignite that fire in his belly, though, but only if the price us right. 

Don’t agree. 

obviously to everyone else it was obvious he wouldn’t get much game time at City, but he would have backed himself to break into the team. He’s given it 18 months and hasn’t made progress, and is now actively wanting to leave. 

There are definitely deals to do in Europe and beyond for younger upcoming players. Not sure if we have the appetite for it this month or all the eggs are in the Philips basket.