NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

13 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

So Ashworth gave that interview last year where he purposefully mentions Saudi loans which caused the league to rush to a vote that in a sense we won (although I don’t think we intend to loan from Saudi). 

The Eales interview was a club media piece released on club YouTube. When he spoke about player trading it wasn’t an offhand comment or a tricky interviewer.

Maybe I’m falling into the ‘playing 4D chess’ trap. But I think it’s been an exercise of a) killing the richest club in the world narrative and help negotiations start in a reasonable place b) smoking out the general level of interest in our players and getting a gauge of market values.

I don’t think the club have planned on selling anyone this window. Perhaps only the Joelinton injury has messed up that somewhat. 

Media have jumped on it with predictable gusto and hyperbole that we absolutely have to sell a Bruno or an Isak etc. If anything it helps us plan better for the summer when there is a likely renegotiation on the PSR limits and more sponsors etc. 

We can thumb our noses all we like at the media, still doesn't change the likelihood we're fucked if Bruno is out for even a few games. Unless we really are just writing the season off.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

We can thumb our noses all we like at the media, still doesn't change the likelihood we're fucked if Bruno is out for even a few games. Unless we really are just writing the season off.

1. You can add an unproven at this level Jow White to that list too.

2. The window isn't shut yet

18 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Romano taking time out in this quiet window from tap-ins to focus on flogging Google phones in a delightful mint colour:

IMG_5376.thumb.jpeg.50d2e1b8a554b8a31d8971b606b4001d.jpeg

"Tweeted from iPhone"

28 minutes ago, Sima said:

We're crying out for an attacking midfielder who can unlock defences rather than yet another 6/8.

I’m not so sure at the moment, Bruno is really our only competent PL midfielder right now. 

If we sell Wilson I hope it’s abroad or to someone we’re not competing with. I don’t want to see him banging goals in for Chelsea.

Still would prefer to keep him though.

Should we actually be getting anyone in my only hope is they’re of a high enough caliber for Howe not to have any reservations about chucking them in immediately 

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

Onana is better now than Gordon when we bought him, so you can’t blame Everton for looking at £50 million plus for him.

I think his wages might be a sticking point, I’m not sure what he earns at Everton but it was the reason he didn’t join West Ham.

Nobody will pay £50m for Onana.

FFP will hurt the selling clubs as well as the buying clubs.

I actually really rate Onana, but yeah £60m is crazy. You'd think better value abroad, just like how Everton got him for £20m or something 

Also, if were now looking for a 6 / DM, then why not buy one in the Summer just gone? 

Yeah I know we are now decimated with injuries and could do with another midfielder, but it would have made sense to buy a DM last summer and then buy a tonali / upgraded 8 in this Summer coming 

Having said that. I'm sure they know better than me 😂

If we could only sign 1 player this window i would go for a 3rd forward to fight it out with Wilson.

Isak is number 1. We are too light in that department. 

Players coming back soon in other departments (fingers crossed) 

22 minutes ago, janpawel said:

I actually really rate Onana, but yeah £60m is crazy. You'd think better value abroad, just like how Everton got him for £20m or something 

Also, if were now looking for a 6 / DM, then why not buy one in the Summer just gone? 

Yeah I know we are now decimated with injuries and could do with another midfielder, but it would have made sense to buy a DM last summer and then buy a tonali / upgraded 8 in this Summer coming 

Having said that. I'm sure they know better than me 😂

Ditto

Think he could turn into a powerhouse 

48 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’m not so sure at the moment, Bruno is really our only competent PL midfielder right now. 

That’s very harsh on Longstaff, he had something like 40 apps last season and was a huge part of it.

27 minutes ago, Nine said:

That’s very harsh on Longstaff, he had something like 40 apps last season and was a huge part of it.

Alan Pardew finished 5th once. Does that make him a good manager?

We all like Longstaff but we've got to be honest.. Hes very mediocre. Gets in tons of great positions and has low technical ability. I appreciate his running though. We cant get to the next level with such a limited CM. I'm fine with him being an emergency backup at the end of the bench. Same goes for Dan Burn. I'd like him as a depth CB and nowhere near LB. 

Edited by Sufi

1 hour ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

1. You can add an unproven at this level Jow White to that list too.

2. The window isn't shut yet

Yes I already mentioned in a previous post we might be considering chucking Joe White or Alfie Harrison into matchday squads as an option. We can only buy if we sell, and as of now, it doesn't look like happening.

38 minutes ago, Nine said:

He was integral to how we played last season and fits the system very well. He is limited technically though and needs to be upgraded as much as Almiron or

Burn, for me. But I suppose we did half try that with Tonali. Who didn’t really do much to cement his spot prior to the ban. 

Genuine question. As I have thought about it since all this FFP/PSR shite. What would his value be and what sort of club would be interested? 

Really hard to gauge. As he fits our system perfectly and has been a really important player. But I don’t think he is a particularly good midfielder at this level. 

14 minutes ago, Sufi said:

We all like Longstaff but we've got to be honest.. Hes very mediocre. Gets in tons of great positions and has low technical ability. I appreciate his running though. We cant get to the next level with such a limited CM. I'm fine with him being an emergency backup at the end of the bench. Same goes for Dan Burn. I'd like him as a depth CB and nowhere near LB. 

I would be very tempted to sell him this summer, especially with his stock being higher after a champions league run, and being an established PL midfielder, we would probably get £25-30m for him and he would do a job at somewhere like wolves/Fulham/Everton . As you say he’s a very limited player and not the player to take us forward to where we want to be. 

2 hours ago, Sima said:

We're crying out for an attacking midfielder who can unlock defences rather than yet another 6/8.

When we're at full tilt, I don't think we have a creativity issue, granted a top quality on the right would give us another dimension.

4 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Well that was an exciting few days. But now… it has all gone ominously quiet. 

The exact same thing is happening now as what happened over the last few weeks [emoji38]

Just now, The Prophet said:

When we're at full tilt, I don't think we have a creativity issue, granted a top quality on the right would give us another dimension.

The biggest thing we’re crying out for is a Midfielder that can plug the hole in midfield that’s left when we’re at full tilt, how many times have we been done this season when we have been pinning teams back and they break on our immobile empty midfield. 

I think Almiron being incredibly one footed and predictable is really holding us back. He has 2 moves. Play a 1-2 with tripier and go behind for a through ball. OR Cut left and try to get a shot away at the far post. He's a very poor mans Arjen Robben. I want a right footed RW who can put balls into the box for Isak and take on his man down the line. Teams can actually play narrow at the back because they know almiron isnt taking them down the line on his right foot. 

I love him to bits and appreciate his energy, but hes a very limited RW. Asides from that one month where he was the best player in the prem he didnt contribute much (other than pressing).