NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Think an issue might be whether we decide to go for a more mobile striker like a cheaper Isak, or a different style like a target man. 

Ideally both I guess, a lot of PL teams have multiple average strikers instead of one good one. 

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

Paid attention to this guy a fair bit this season.

He's quite raw and needs some developing. Unbelievable physical gifts and technical ability, but his movements and instincts in the box need work. Sometimes you forget he's on the pitch as he's not getting himself in decent areas at all.

Would be a nice addition to our mix of forwards to further develop though, as he could be a heck of a player if it all comes together.

What’s his finishing like? Wasn’t impressed with it against Real Madrid and obviously appreciate thats a small sample size. Looked good technically outside the box but not sure that’s worth anything to us.

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

What’s his finishing like? Wasn’t impressed with it against Real Madrid and obviously appreciate thats a small sample size. Looked good technically outside the box but not sure that’s worth anything to us.

Seems okay, though I've seen him fluff some decent chances, so I know what you mean.

He's similar to Isak in that he is really comfortable on the ball and quick for his height, and so can drop and get on the ball and run at defenders and create chances. It's my favourite part of his game.

33 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

My thinking too. Wilson and Almiron likely to be touted, even if not proactively scouted, this summer. 

We haven't got much in the way of sellable assets aside from players we really don't want to lose (Bruno, Isak) so by default any players that are not at that level, but also not so shit we'll have to give them away (Hayden et al) we'll be actively trying to move on I think. Wilson, Almiron, Targett all spring to mind. Maybe Murphy but I can't see us selling him and Miggy.

41 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Last of the four I’d want on the pitch from a Bournemouth fan who watches him every 4 months when he’s fit.

I’d be massively underwhelmed if he was our defensive signing this summer, we need a 1st choice CB as a priority, the saying build from the back is rarely wrong.

At the same time we need to be smart with our budget. 

Kelly is an improvement on Burn and beefs up the options at LCB and LB. We still need a RCB, but with Botman out and Targett potentially on his way, it seems like a no brainer.

53 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I can't see a situation where we keep Wilson really, unless we can afford and he's happy to be 3rd choice.

If it's going to cost us £40m to buy a replacement and we can't sell Wilson for enough money to cover that, then there might be a scenario where we just use him like @TRC says until his contract runs down.

Edited by TRon

1 hour ago, Magpie said:

Have we been linked with Tosin or are people just automatically assuming we'll be interested due to the fact we're desperate for CHs and he'll be on a free?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/04/15/newcastle-united-transfer-news-tosin-adarabioyo-lloyd-kelly/

Interesting timing... Also mentions that Eddie wants to look at Minteh in pre-season but that he could already be off this summer.

Seems so rare that we sign in demand players like this when the press put it out there early. Not convinced we will get either.

They would both be very smart pickups at the price though and could give us good wriggle room foe the RW, Mid and Striker we need.

FIFA management-mode-tastic though so I hope it happens. Used to sign both a few years ago in FIFA lol.

1 hour ago, Magpie said:

Have we been linked with Tosin or are people just automatically assuming we'll be interested due to the fact we're desperate for CHs and he'll be on a free?

Tosin has some heavy hitters after him.

1 minute ago, Nucasol said:

Tosin has some heavy hitters after him.

Aye, they'll chuck wages at him that we're not willing too.

Edited by The Prophet

Whatever happens I’m cautiously excited. EXTRA much so if we keep hold of Isak and Bruno, which I think we will. We might not sign too many players. What I hope for is some bargains and a couple of real quality additions. The thing that gets me excited is the above combined with us adding a couple of icing on the cake players to the real quality that we already have, along with less injuries and Tonali coming back roaring to go. Sometimes we think we need so many top top quality players when it doesn’t have be like that. We just need better luck and taking care of players physical side as well as adding a diamond or two to what we already have. Then it would look very good going forward. Step by step we will get to where we aim and want to be.  Add say two on top of all our other quality players available and the eleven is looking very very good overall with some decent options here and there despite not complete obviously 

Edited by Ikon

17 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Aye, they'll chuck wages at him that we're not willing too.

Thats the thing with freebies. A club will offer him ridiculous wages. Just like Kamara at Villa when the deal was done to go to Atletico, I think Villa offered him 50k more a week or something.

With the 3 year PSR cycle starting again, couldn’t we theoretically just spend £500m this summer and then take it easy on spending for the next two seasons?

If we don’t break even then our defence when charged is that we thought we would sign higher commercial contracts and sell certain players - the Everton and Forest argument. 

Just now, andyc35i said:

With the 3 year PSR cycle starting again, couldn’t we theoretically just spend £500m this summer and then take it easy on spending for the next two seasons?

If we don’t break even then our defence when charged is that we thought we would sign higher commercial contracts and sell certain players - the Everton and Forest argument. 

It's a rolling three year period. So only one year drops off as the next begins.

Just now, The Prophet said:

It's a rolling three year period. So only one year drops off as the next begins.

That would make sense then. Chelsea’s spending spree over the last 12 months confused my thinking 

5 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

That would make sense then. Chelsea’s spending spree over the last 12 months confused my thinking 

They got a clean slate following the takeover, which is absolutely scandalous.

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

They got a clean slate following the takeover, which is absolutely scandalous.

I don’t think that’s true. Their debt was cleared as part of the takeover.

15 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

So this summer and January might be a quiet-ish one, but next summer the January survival transfer window drops off plus our much greater commercial revenue should give us a big bit of movement 25/26 season?

29 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Whatever happens I’m cautiously excited. EXTRA much so if we keep hold of Isak and Bruno, which I think we will. We might not sign too many players. What I hope for is some bargains and a couple of real quality additions. The thing that gets me excited is the above combined with us adding a couple of icing on the cake players to the real quality that we already have, along with less injuries and Tonali coming back roaring to go. Sometimes we think we need so many top top quality players when it doesn’t have be like that. We just need better luck and taking care of players physical side as well as adding a diamond or two to what we already have. Then it would look very good going forward. Step by step we will get to where we aim and want to be.  Add say two on top of all our other quality players available and the eleven is looking very very good overall with some decent options here and there despite not complete obviously 

I think a lot of fans views have been skewed by this season's terrible injury list compounded by Tonali's ban. With a lot of these players back next season our squad doesn't look half bad at all, we might just need cover in a few areas and some cherries on top in a couple of others.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

If it's going to cost us £40m to buy a replacement and we can't sell Wilson for enough money to cover that, then there might be a scenario where we just use him like @TRC says until his contract runs down.

True, but wouldn’t we still need to buy a third striker? That’s the issue. 

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

True, but wouldn’t we still need to buy a third striker? That’s the issue. 

I think the argument made was that if Wilson's workload is managed then he would be less prone to injury. Where do we get a third striker who is going to score goals without spending a shitload of cash? The only way we buy another striker is if we sell Wilson, and for that we'd need a buyer who will pay enough to fund a replacement. I'm struggling to think of one for the £10-15m we might get for Wilson.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

We wouldn't pay that £40 million up front though.

If we signed a £40 million striker on a five year deal, without accounting for wages, that's an £8 million per year book value. 

Even if we get £15 million for him, it covers it for two years.