NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 hours ago, gjohnson said:

Is he? A year out can be pretty detrimental, and we don't really know how good he is from the few games he actually played. Hopefully it's given him time to settle here and gain an understanding of expectations, but could easily go the other way and he's the next Aquilani.

This could all be true, but Tonali was almost certainly intended to replace Longstaff in the starting XI

3 hours ago, gjohnson said:

Is he? A year out can be pretty detrimental, and we don't really know how good he is from the few games he actually played. Hopefully it's given him time to settle here and gain an understanding of expectations, but could easily go the other way and he's the next Aquilani.

Did you not watch the first game of the season?

4 hours ago, buzza said:

I think Gallagher is over-rated, his effort is world class but his technical ability is not where we want to be.

A glorified McTominay if you like...:uglystupid2:

Onana, McTominay & Gallagher. All strong links. I think ‘we’ must want that kind of player. Perhaps one seen to be an improvement on what we have in a similar role/function for the team. 

I just don’t get the McTominay links, aside from being a bit bigger and maybe better in the tackle than Longstaff, I can’t really separate them in terms of output. Both very average players who hide from the ball a lot.

It’s gonna be Joelinton, Tonali and Bruno as first choice with Anderson, Willock and Longstaff to rotate. I can live with that. A true DM would have been nice but unlikely. Unless someone is leaving.

7 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

I just don’t get the McTominay links, aside from being a bit bigger and maybe better in the tackle than Longstaff, I can’t really separate them in terms of output. Both very average players who hide from the ball a lot.

It’s gonna be Joelinton, Tonali and Bruno as first choice with Anderson, Willock and Longstaff to rotate. I can live with that. A true DM would have been nice but unlikely. Unless someone is leaving.

Was gonna let this slide but what the heck. 

What a load of fucking drivel. Longstaff doesn't hide from the ball, ever. 

You can argue all day long how good, or bad, he is on or off the ball but he doesn't hide. 

30 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Was gonna let this slide but what the heck. 

What a load of fucking drivel. Longstaff doesn't hide from the ball, ever. 

You can argue all day long how good, or bad, he is on or off the ball but he doesn't hide. 

Yeah, I don't think the lad shirks.  If anything he is open for the ball constantly - I get far more frustrated with his dawdling on the ball than owt else

8 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Aye midfield is not a concern just now 

8 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

You can add Miley to the list. Maybe Longstaff to leave and Miley to take his place.

All the links to box to box type midfielders were likely due to behind the scenes work we were doing for the possibility of not getting Joelinton's contract done.

I doubt we will be looking at this type midfielder this summer, now that Joelinton has been signed to his new deal.

Not sure it was mentioned on here, but saw us being linked to Filip Jorgensen at Villarreal last week. Young Swedish goalkeeper.

I'm not even sure that midfield is an area we are desperate to do any business in. 

Bruno

Joelinton 

Tonali

Willock

Longstaff

Anderson 

Miley

I'd be content going into next season with those 7 to fill 3 spots at any given time. Obviously if Miley goes out on loan then we'd need another to come in because I don't think 6 is enough given that Bruno and Joelinton will most likely get 25 yellow cards between them through the year.  

CB, LB and RW are far more urgent and ofcourse ST as well assuming that Wilson is leaving.

That's four positions we need a player for and ideally we need two CBs. So that's five players needed as minimum in the summer without even thinking about another CM added into that.

If he's not a complete crock these days, i'd be looking at someone like Andre Gomez as a cheap back up for the 6 role. He wouldn't demand to play and is very good on the ball. It's just a question of if his body would stay together long enough to be able to work in the way we play. Still a little worried that if Bruno is injured/suspended/in need of a rest that we have no-one other than Schar* that can play the role

*:saylor:

On 19/04/2024 at 13:15, Thumbheed said:

Gallagher would be a great signing for us

Why? He wouldn't be a starting midfielder when everyone is fit. And even if he would, he is not a big improvement. If we are going to spend 50 million, it needs to be a winger or a centreback.

1 hour ago, KingArthur said:

Why? He wouldn't be a starting midfielder when everyone is fit. And even if he would, he is not a big improvement. If we are going to spend 50 million, it needs to be a winger or a centreback.

We had similar views about Gordon and were completely wrong about him.

He's quick, strong, technically very good, has an eye for a goal but on top of that, his pressing is second to none and his ability to win duels further up the pitch is one of those indirect variables that have a significant impact on our overall gameplay.

We conceded so many this season, not because our defence was in dissaray or poorly organised but because we weren't able to press as effectively in the middle. 

15 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

We had similar views about Gordon and were completely wrong about him.

He's quick, strong, technically very good, has an eye for a goal but on top of that, his pressing is second to none and his ability to win duels further up the pitch is one of those indirect variables that have a significant impact on our overall gameplay.

We conceded so many this season, not because our defence was in dissaray or poorly organised but because we weren't able to press as effectively in the middle. 

Not sure he has much of an eye for goal. He averages 1 in 10.

34 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

Not sure he has much of an eye for goal. He averages 1 in 10.

Based in his time at Palace where admittedly he was a 10, he's definitely got it in his lockers. 

I'm not basing too much on what we're seeing at Chelsea, he's been in a few roles and in a side which just isn't performing at all. We should know better than anyone how you can't judge a player when the team as a whole I'd poor.

Put him in the situations Longstaff finds himself in and I'd back him to score over Longstaff. 

I actually agree that Gallagher would be a good signing and would add a lot to our midfield. I just don't think it's the type of player we need most considering budget constraints. 

Edited by ponsaelius

41 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Based in his time at Palace where admittedly he was a 10, he's definitely got it in his lockers. 

I'm not basing too much on what we're seeing at Chelsea, he's been in a few roles and in a side which just isn't performing at all. We should know better than anyone how you can't judge a player when the team as a whole I'd poor.

Put him in the situations Longstaff finds himself in and I'd back him to score over Longstaff. 

I might be wrong, but I think his goals at Palace all came really really early in his time there and then he didn't score much at all in the second half of the season. Either way, across the length of his career it seems like a purple patch.

He's obviously not a bad player, but I would be surprised to see him start ahead of Joelinton Bruno Tonali.

5 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

I might be wrong, but I think his goals at Palace all came really really early in his time there and then he didn't score much at all in the second half of the season. Either way, across the length of his career it seems like a purple patch.

He's obviously not a bad player, but I would be surprised to see him start ahead of Joelinton Bruno Tonali.

Tbf, I'm not doubting that at all, I'm just giving him the benefit of doubt.

I'm probably more excited by his pressing because I honestly think it makes a massive difference to us, moreso than a midfielder who can chip in with a goal or assist now and again - sum of all part and whatnot

8 hours ago, Mazzy said:

CB, LB and RW are far more urgent and ofcourse ST as well assuming that Wilson is leaving.

I wonder why there are rumours around Wilson leaving. I hope he stays and that we also get a third striker, more so if we're in Europe next season.