NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Gallagher would be a good signing, if Tonali wasn't returning very early next season and also if Miley and Anderson didnt show the signs of being able to become a top level players.

Even if Lonstaff left, we the only type of CM we should be looking at is someone who can play in the middle of our 3 when needed.

Bruno, Tonali, Joelinton.

Anderson, Longstaff, Miley.

Don't think we need anyone else, just them to stay fit and not gamble. 

I'm encouraged Longstaff has been playing with an injury since last year. I'm hoping thats why he's been poor, and he still has something to offer. 3HG players as well. If we're in Europe more often than not, we really need 4/25.

7 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I'm encouraged Longstaff has been playing with an injury since last year. I'm hoping thats why he's been poor, and he still has something to offer. 3HG players as well. If we're in Europe more often than not, we really need 4/25.

willock

1 hour ago, BermyToon said:

I wonder why there are rumours around Wilson leaving. I hope he stays and that we also get a third striker, more so if we're in Europe next season.

Hopefully from his agent trying to drum up some interest.

Having three dedicated strikers for a team that plays one up top is a total waste of money. Gordon is our third choice and that's totally fine as long as we replace Wilson with a player capable of staying for for the majority of the season.

Now if the club can find a top class RW who is also capable of playing striker (or vice versa) that's ideal but it's also unlikely.

11 hours ago, Thumbheed said:

We had similar views about Gordon and were completely wrong about him.

He's quick, strong, technically very good, has an eye for a goal but on top of that, his pressing is second to none and his ability to win duels further up the pitch is one of those indirect variables that have a significant impact on our overall gameplay.

We conceded so many this season, not because our defence was in dissaray or poorly organised but because we weren't able to press as effectively in the middle. 

Our wingers before Gordon were ASM, Almiron, Murphy? Maybe Anderson and Fraser? We really needed a winger anyway. And saying "what about Gordon" is a poor excuse anyway, you cannot spend most of your budget on a midfielder, when we desperately need reinforcements elsewhere.

Gallagher doesn't bring anything Joelinton or Tonali already aren't already providing us with. Except I would say he is not as strong in duels as Joelinton. If Joe would have left, I would understand Gallagher as his replacement.

We conceded because our midfield was injured or dead tired. And we had 17-year-old playing twice a week with Bruno and Longstaff, because no one else was fit. Who are we going to sell to make room for Gallagher? Anderson? Longstaff? Both are most likely cheap and HG.

7 hours ago, Dokko said:

You can add Willock to that, too

I thought we were all in agreement it was: RW, ST (Wilson replacement), LB, CB (Schar understudy brought forward because of injury), in that order.

We had meeting about this lads, you were all there :lol:

I'm torn on the need for a left back. I'd like to think the performances Hall has put in the last few games he's played are signs he's starting to get up to speed and it'll be his spot to nail down next season. I wouldn't want to stunt that growth. I know Howe prefers Burn there when everyone is fit, but presumably Burn & Schar will be our CBs for at least the first part of next season, so that opens up the opportunity. Hall, Targett & Burn as our LB options (with Tino & Trippier both able to cover there too) would be fine by me I think. I wouldn't be opposed to losing Targett if we can get a little money for him and bringing in a new starter with Hall getting plenty of minutes off the bench - just feel there are bigger priorities for our meagre FFP room to be spent on.

I know it's become a meme that Hall will never play under Howe, but I think that was just Howe preferring to bed players in as we've seen before. Not easing up on that this season while we've been down to the bare bones is one of the few things I disagree with him on, but I definitely don't think he has some vendetta against the lad. Hall will get plenty of minutes next season whether that's starting or off the bench.

30 minutes ago, Guybrush said:

I thought we were all in agreement it was: RW, ST (Wilson replacement), LB, CB (Schar understudy brought forward because of injury), in that order.

If we get all those we’ll be looking very good indeed. There’s probably an argument that we need two CBs though. 

4 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

I'm torn on the need for a left back. I'd like to think the performances Hall has put in the last few games he's played are signs he's starting to get up to speed and it'll be his spot to nail down next season. I wouldn't want to stunt that growth. I know Howe prefers Burn there when everyone is fit, but presumably Burn & Schar will be our CBs for at least the first part of next season, so that opens up the opportunity. Hall, Targett & Burn as our LB options (with Tino & Trippier both able to cover there too) would be fine by me I think. I wouldn't be opposed to losing Targett if we can get a little money for him and bringing in a new starter with Hall getting plenty of minutes off the bench - just feel there are bigger priorities for our meagre FFP room to be spent on.

I know it's become a meme that Hall will never play under Howe, but I think that was just Howe preferring to bed players in as we've seen before. Not easing up on that this season while we've been down to the bare bones is one of the few things I disagree with him on, but I definitely don't think he has some vendetta against the lad. Hall will get plenty of minutes next season whether that's starting or off the bench.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Targett in the summer. I definitely don’t see another out and out LB coming in unless Targett goes. There’s also fairly strong rumours about Kelly coming whose another CB who can play LB.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Can't say I've seen move of him but Kelly makes a lot of sense.

Two CBs down for at least half a season so you'd think Burn will start as LCB, Kelly could push him for that slot but also play LB. 

25/26 phase Burn out and keep Kelly in his role as number 2 LCB & LB while Botman is back and we buy another LB.

8 hours ago, Dokko said:

I don’t think This is a top 4 set of midfielders. And If you take Bruno out then any selection is unbalanced.

There’s two sides, quality and capability/role

In quality, I rate Willock really highly and he’s missing but the reality of the 7 on the books is you have an absolute elite player in Bruno, one unknown in Tonali (after a whole year out), and then a big drop off. If you took that 7 and Bruno did a cruciate in September the season would be screwed.

I like all the players, and they are miles better than the CMs we had just a few years ago (Jeff Hendrick!!!), it’s just the bar has to be higher now.

The gap in capability is another player who likes to sit deep and can cover defensively - if there isn’t budget for an elite CM, picking a young DM with potential would at least cover that, then  in Brunos absence the midfield could still function

Its a big risk going into next season if we just have Targett, Hall and Burn as our choices at LB. 

Targett is injured and for an unknown timescale, who knows how long he is out and how long he will then take to get up to speed. Could be January for all we know.

Hall is 19 and maybe with a full pre season he could be close to what is required to be starting at LB, but that's still up for debate and the rest of this season will perhaps be a good sign of what's to come.

Burn shouldn't be playing LB unless absolutely necessary, proven by the last few weeks, he's a different player at CB. Emergency cover only.

It's why Kelly makes so much sense, he covers CB and also LB. Bringing him in (especially for free) allows another CB to come in and then you've got two players for every position across the back four PLUS very decent third choices at RB, CB and LB when Botman and Lascelles are back.

RB: Tripps, Tino, Krafth

RCB: Schar, New Player, Lascelles 

LCB: Burn, Kelly, Botman

LB: Hall, Kelly, Targett, Burn

2 hours ago, KingArthur said:

Our wingers before Gordon were ASM, Almiron, Murphy? Maybe Anderson and Fraser? We really needed a winger anyway. And saying "what about Gordon" is a poor excuse anyway, you cannot spend most of your budget on a midfielder, when we desperately need reinforcements elsewhere.

Gallagher doesn't bring anything Joelinton or Tonali already aren't already providing us with. Except I would say he is not as strong in duels as Joelinton. If Joe would have left, I would understand Gallagher as his replacement.

We conceded because our midfield was injured or dead tired. And we had 17-year-old playing twice a week with Bruno and Longstaff, because no one else was fit. Who are we going to sell to make room for Gallagher? Anderson? Longstaff? Both are most likely cheap and HG.

[emoji38] its not an excuse its a reason to be open minded. Like i say we have a terrible habit of judging players playing in poorly performing team despite the lessons we learnt of our own players. 

We don't know the budget and don't know the actually finances with revenue taking a significant boost this year on top of the likelihood of a couple players sales and with a number of players on good contracts leaving too. It's not unfeasible to have a more significant budget than everyone realises that's not based on a narrative that is imperative to the club not getting ripped off/subetly challenging PSR. We're continuously linked with midfielders, so it's fair to say it's a postion we want to strengthen and I 100% agree on it. 

As for the last point, it's the exact reason why another midfielder is imperative because they will still be our options off the bench and whilst there's certainly some ability in a couple of those player to be excited about they're not ready to be key players in a high performance team. Yet. 

Edited by Thumbheed

1 hour ago, Guybrush said:

We need a keeper, if not 2.

57 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

I don’t think This is a top 4 set of midfielders. And If you take Bruno out then any selection is unbalanced.

In quality, I rate Willock really highly and he’s missing but the reality of the 7 on the books is you have an absolute elite player in Bruno, one unknown in Tonali (after a whole year out), and then a big drop off. If you took that 7 and Bruno did a cruciate in September the season would be screwed.

I like all the players, and they are miles better than the CMs we had just a few years ago (Jeff Hendrick!!!), it’s just the bar has to be higher now.

The gap in capability is another player who likes to sit deep and can cover defensively - if there isn’t budget for an elite CM, picking a young DM with potential would at least cover that, then  in Brunos absence the midfield could still function

The only difference from that midfield (when it isn't crippled by injuries) and the one that actually got 4th is that Miley has developed further and we've brought in Tonali. How is it not a top 4 set of midfielders? :lol:

1 hour ago, WilliamPS said:

I disagree. That group of midfielders finished 4th last season and has a very good chance of finishing 6th this season, despite missing two key players for extended periods (in Joelinton and Willock). Plus we've added a player that has proven himself at both International and Champions League level.

When people say "we need this, we need that", that's all entirely dependant on your expectations for next season. 

I'm wanting/expecting us to push for top 4 again and there is a strong argument to say that we weren't far off this year, if it wasn't for injuries and suspensions, of course.

However, as we know, if you stand still.. you go backwards.

From a midfield perspective, it can't be a priority. From a numbers perspective we are stacked, so even if we want to improve, it has to be a one in one out situation. Not entirely impossible, as I've said before we could get an offer for Willock, for example.

Defence has to be a priority, our attacking numbers are good, our defensive numbers aren't great. We have 2 CBs out with ACLs, so it's imperative we get a CB.

I'd argue LB is important. I'm sick of dancing around the position with players who are either injury prone, playing out of position or too raw. Sign a quality LB like we did with Trippier, it will transform our starting 11. Let Targett leave, get what we can.

After that, we need to boost our attack. We could go any number of ways. RW, CF, it doesn't matter. Fresh blood to support what we already have.

Aye, deffo right winger and striker needed, more so if we sell miggy and calum.

Defence injuries and age concerns need addressed asap, would like minimum one centre back and left back or 2 CBs (kelly). If we get Kelly he can cover both LB and LCB, would be a good signing!

Up and coming defensive midfielder would be a big bonus, as people have commented; if Bruno gets injured we have no real back up.

We do have a pretty poor record of uptrading ( ie getting rid of someone and bringing in a better replacement) mainly due to hanging on to players for too long before any value can be gotten (Ritchie and dummett are prime examples). We could have gotten a fair wedge for Longstaff when he first came through based on the hype, but we slapped the 'not for sale' sign on him and he hasn't progressed as well as expected, so now we have a player low on confidence, in such poor form that no-one will be looking to spend on and will probably be here in 10 years time as a 'dressing room leader'

20 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

We do have a pretty poor record of uptrading ( ie getting rid of someone and bringing in a better replacement) mainly due to hanging on to players for too long before any value can be gotten (Ritchie and dummett are prime examples). We could have gotten a fair wedge for Longstaff when he first came through based on the hype, but we slapped the 'not for sale' sign on him and he hasn't progressed as well as expected, so now we have a player low on confidence, in such poor form that no-one will be looking to spend on and will probably be here in 10 years time as a 'dressing room leader'

We've only done it once you could say, Mazi for Barnes and Barnes is clearly a better player for us.