NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

When we signed Hayden as a Championship player he'd have been on probably 10k a week. A progressive club would have moved him on 3-4 years ago in his mid 20s when he had a market to low Prem/high Champ clubs with an affordable wage bracket.

Instead, like with so many other players from that era, they have been kept on because we've refused to invest and improve the side. But we're seeing so clearly now what a false economy this is when you end up with aging average players on big wages. The club being taken over and trying to rapidly progress has only underlined this more starkly.

1 hour ago, dave s said:

“Ryan Fraser, Jeff Hendrick and Isaac Hayden are training separately from the first team and won't be involved in senior pre-season fixtures.”

What are we doing with these 3 you reckon? more loans or just bin them? 

These will be on about £150k a week between them. That's an Isak, Bruno, Tonali. 

Of all the deadwood (an unpleasantly pejorative term in the case of one or two), I could probably handle Hayden sticking around and regaining his fitness, assuming he was content to be omitted from the PL squad and was available for the domestic cups. Can't see it hurting having another good character in the dressing room and - while we don't owe him anything - it'd be a good gesture to help him get back to full fitness. 

That's if it's in any way economically preferable to us; i.e. I'd probably rather that than go to any expense in making him a free agent. 

Hendrick, on the other hand, I'd happily contribute to the pay-off.

Just now, Geogaddi said:

Can you not just terminate the contracts of all the dead wood we have ? Pay them off and free up more wages for FFP?

Not 100% but it'd still go against us? Unless they took a hit which they'd silly to, that's probably £15-20m in one shot. 

15 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Not 100% but it'd still go against us? Unless they took a hit which they'd silly to, that's probably £15-20m in one shot. 

I'm sure it still does, that write off is just from an accounting perspective.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

These will be on about £150k a week between them. That's an Isak, Bruno, Tonali. 

Reckon it'll be more than that since Fraser and Hendrick were free transfers

2 hours ago, El Prontonise said:

I'm sure it still does, that write off is just from an accounting perspective.

It does because it's within the 3 year period, but they will come off sooner than they would have had we not done that. "From an accounting perspective" is all that matters for FFP.

9 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I reckon they'll be on £50-60k each, Hayden £30-40k. 

Hayden is "only" on around £22k/wk according to multiple sources. Fraser a bit over £40k and Hendrick slightly under. The three combined are a little over £5m per season. We didn't write off Fraser's wages and he's probably the most attractive of the three, so I'm really hoping we can convince someone to take him.

I noticed that both Leverkusen and Ajax have dropped their asking price for Moussa Diaby and Edson Alvarez respectively. 

It's things like that which give me confidence in Ashworth and the recruitment team. It would have been easy to pay the asking price or close to it due to desperation. There's clearly a plan and they're sticking to it. 

2 minutes ago, Viana said:

I noticed that both Leverkusen and Ajax have dropped their asking price for Moussa Diaby and Edson Alvarez respectively. 

It's things like that which give me confidence in Ashworth and the recruitment team. It would have been easy to pay the asking price or close to it due to desperation. There's clearly a plan and they're sticking to it. 

It's how we got Isak. We definitely have some solid valuations on players and if the selling club is asking for far above that we just move on (or wait).

9 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The Anderson link is another that won't go away.

I really like him, but I'd prefer a more athletic defender with a bit of recovery pace.

Unless we want a like for like Schar replacement? Anderson his pretty much a clone of him.