NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Liverpool allegedly in for Lavia too. They look like they're still in the market for another midfielder.

If we end up with one of Thuram or Lavia I’d be delighted. Some great athleticism plugged into the midfield.

8 minutes ago, Kanji said:

If we signed Thuram that’s Willock or Joelinton on the bench more often than not. 

So Willock then. Player of the season doesn't get dropped barring a massive loss in form

Edited by gjohnson
Humor

Sounds mad but I don’t want us signing Thuram, we’re already blessed at the LCM role as we can play Joelinton, Willock or even Tonali there. At RCM we have Tonali, Longstaff, Willock and Joelinton (at lesser extents for those two). 

We’ve gotta sign an attacking mid / winger who’s our main man or one who can compete with Miggy. That’s the biggest need for us imo. If that lad can also play left too, even better. 

if we sign another midfielder it’s gotta be a genuine defensive midfielder who is either an older head who offers us a bit of tactical nous and big game experience or a young one for the future. 

Edited by Kanji

3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Sounds mad but I don’t want us signing Thuram, we’re already blessed at the LCM role as we can play Joelinton, Willock or even Tonali there. At RCM we have Tonali, Longstaff, Willock and Joelinton (at lesser extents for those two). 

We’ve gotta sign an attacking mid / winger who’s our main man or one who can compete with Miggy. That’s the biggest need for us imo. If that lad can also play left too, even better. 

if we sign another midfielder it’s gotta be a genuine defensive midfielder who is either an older head who offers us a bit of tactical nous and big game experience or a young one for the future. 

Caqueret and Ryan Cherki?

Might be difficult to get both from Lyon 

As things stand a lack of G/A from the wide players is going to be the killer for us, Almiron's purple patch covered up the cracks last season to an extent. Top clubs expect players in these positions to have proper end product, not just put in a shift.

6 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I’m not convinced Thuram would improve our starting 11 once we sign Tonali.

Finished the season with Anderson and Gordon in CM, and now have European games, it’s not about the 11 it’s about the squad

Just now, WilliamPS said:

Finished the season with Anderson and Gordon in CM, and now have European games, it’s not about the 11 it’s about the squad

Then you bring in someone like Tielemans or Lerma on a free if it is about squad depth, that or you spend more on someone who should improve the starting 11, like we have with Tonali over Longstaff.

Spending big money on a player who isn’t going to improve the starting 11 would be daft unless it is part of some sort of succession planning, especially after we did it with Gordon.

A developmental midfielder would be ideal I think. We're fairly well covered in midfield now. Watched the Norway France u21 match last weekend and the Norwegian holding midfielder looked a nice prospect in the Kante mould, plays for Sparta Rotterdam iirc. Should be the profile of player we're after I think.

He would be a really good signing on a free transfer, although we would have to pay Arsenal compensation I believe. 

Similar to Willock with his movement and intelligence with the ball, they would know each other from their time at Arsenal being the same age.

The downside is we should be aiming higher for the right wing, unless we are going to move on one of Almiron or Murphy to help with FFP.

It could be a case of there's just nobody available that fits the bill at a reasonable price. We've shown we're not the type to spend on a position for the sake of it. If it came down to signing a RW that they don't fancy or signing someone like Livaremento who they'd view as a long term successor to Trippier I think they'd plump for the latter.

1 minute ago, jackflap said:

It could be a case of there's just nobody available that fits the bill at a reasonable price. We've shown we're not the type to spend on a position for the sake of it. If it came down to signing a RW that they don't fancy or signing someone like Livaremento who they'd view as a long term successor to Trippier I think they'd plump for the latter.

Think we have needed a top class RW since the takeover happened tbh. No excuse to not get one this window imo (and I think we will get one).

48 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

This ^