NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

3 minutes ago, Nowhere Man said:

Mate at work reckons Joshua Kimmich is incoming. Thinks he’s an ITK. 

He did get Isak right like 🫣 

I’d say bullshit. 

I’d call bullshit too, surely too expensive both fee and wages?

2 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

I’m not convinced Thuram would improve our starting 11 once we sign Tonali.

Im not sure, but only based on that it would push Joelinton out of the middle.  Tonali, Bruno, Joelinton is solid.

I'd prefer a winger, Moussa Diaby, or Harvey Barnes.

But I think we will pull another wildcard, Like Florian Wirts, or Charles De Ketelaere, 

Antonio Nusa wouldn't be bad [emoji38]

Edited by mighty__mag

If Bruno and Tonali are going to be our CM's in a 4-2-3-1 formation, then I think it's crucial that we buy a right sided forward who can score goals. We have lots of pacy, skilfull wide players already in Willock, Almiron, Maxi and Gordon, but none of them hit the ball particularly well. That's what Liverpool have paid for in Szoboslai, he might not be a wide player as such, but he can strike the ball well.

Miggy scored 10 goals last season and it was great, but is he going to do that every season? We need someone who can.

We're going to need a much bigger squad to cope with the extra fixtures, and Nelson on a free would be a good addition. And it would be really great to take him away from Arsenal and for Eddie to produce the sorts of improvements in him that we've seen with other members of the squad. 

It doesn't look like we'll win any transfer battles with the 'blg six' for the time being, so we have to build gradually (which of course has its own merits anyway)

I think Thuram would be a very shrewd signing and gives us a good physical presence alongside Bruno and Tonali, almost a perfect midfield 3.

It would also free up Joe to play wide left as not sure Gordon or St Max will get the start.

We’d still have funds for a young attacker like Franca down the right. 

30 minutes ago, Cronky said:

We're going to need a much bigger squad to cope with the extra fixtures, and Nelson on a free would be a good addition. And it would be really great to take him away from Arsenal and for Eddie to produce the sorts of improvements in him that we've seen with other members of the squad. 

It doesn't look like we'll win any transfer battles with the 'blg six' for the time being, so we have to build gradually (which of course has its own merits anyway)

Quantity isn't the issue, it's quality in certain areas. Most positions we have 2-3 senior players. It's why I'm not so sure extending Ritchie and offering Dummett a new deal was such a good idea. 

58 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'll be amazed if we play anything other than 4-3-3 again.

Regardless of the formation, if you have three forwards, then they need to either be hitting the net regularly or setting up the others to do it.

If we were to grade the squad as a top 4 challenger in terms of depth I'd say....

A: Bruno, Isak, Botman, Tonali, Trippier

B: Pope, Schar, Willock, Longstaff, Joelinton, Almiron, St-Maximin, Gordon, Wilson

C: Dubravka, Karius, Burn, Targett, Murphy, Anderson

D: Darlow, Lascelles, Krafth, Manquillo

E & below: Gillespie, Ritchie, Dummett, Hayden, Hendrick

Give or take a grade for the majority based on opinion, and writing off Hayden and Hendrick, plus I've probably missed one or two players when I was trying to work it out off the top of my head on the bus.

There's 14 players I'd happily see starting any game, 4 players in the "C" where you could probably still be very confident of competing seeing two starting, as long as there's at least 3-4 from "A" and 4-5 from "B". 

That's 19 senior players plus Anderson who are good enough. We're never going to have a perfect squad 2 years into this ownership so we'll likely have 3-4 senior players D & E bracket for a year or so yet, so ideally we need 2-3 more this summer. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If we were to grade the squad as a top 4 challenger in terms of depth I'd say....

A: Bruno, Isak, Botman, Tonali, Trippier

B: Pope, Schar, Willock, Longstaff, Joelinton, Almiron, St-Maximin, Gordon, Wilson

C: Dubravka, Karius, Burn, Targett, Murphy, Anderson

D: Darlow, Lascelles, Krafth, Manquillo

E & below: Gillespie, Ritchie, Dummett, Hayden, Hendrick

Give or take a grade for the majority based on opinion, and writing off Hayden and Hendrick, plus I've probably missed one or two players when I was trying to work it out off the top of my head on the bus.

There's 14 players I'd happily see starting any game, 4 players in the "C" where you could probably still be very confident of competing seeing two starting, as long as there's at least 3-4 from "A" and 4-5 from "B". 

That's 19 senior players plus Anderson who are good enough. We're never going to have a perfect squad 2 years into this ownership so we'll likely have 3-4 senior players D & E bracket for a year or so yet, so ideally we need 2-3 more this summer. 

Agree with most of that but Joelinton should be A.

I'm assuming we are hoping one of Minteh of Kuol will step into the first team squad next year or the season after, so possible age isn't a pre-requiste for anyone else coming in for the wide areas, as long as there is some resale value.

3 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

I love the guy, but his finishing needs to be better to be an A. He's more like a B++ for me.

6 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Aye he was definitely in the "give or take a grade" group but I didn't want to put two many As in. :lol:

Like you'd probably break it down more into the likes of Pope, Wilson and Joelinton as B+ and Gordon and Almiron B- if I dissected further. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I'm assuming we are hoping one of Minteh of Kuol will step into the first team squad next year or the season after, so possible age isn't a pre-requiste for anyone else coming in for the wide areas, as long as there is some resale value.

Far to early to tell on either of them 2 imo

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

I love the guy, but his finishing needs to be better to be an A. He's more like a B++ for me.

Definitely not A at LW. And I think a solid B+ at CM. 

Im not certain Botman is A either. He’s not as good as Isak, Trippier or Bruno imo.  Not sure he’s currently better than Schar either. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Definitely not A at LW. And I think a solid B+ at CM. 

Im not certain Botman is A either. He’s not as good as Isak, Trippier or Bruno imo.  Not sure he’s currently better than Schar either. 

The Office Questions GIF

Joelinton lacks guile and finishing ability at LW to be considered an A at LW.  

Botman is probably better in the air than Schar defensively. But has a lot of the same weaknesses and strengths. Composed, reads it well, good on the ball, can be aggressive, good concentration. Struggles against pace, not an attacking threat aerially. And Botman has had Burn in close proximity all season. Schar is left far more exposed.