NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

7 minutes ago, jigen said:

Howe knows only PL player. And he want to buy only PL players. A mistake when a manager make the market. Your fortune was the 2022 when you bought abroad.

Since Howe has been here, the only first team players we've signed from other clubs in this country, who remain at the club, are:

Gordon

Burn

Barnes

Pope

Targett

Livramento

Hall

You could argue one of those signings has been a failure - Targett. 

Had a quick look at Brentford forum and they masively rate Mbeumo tbf, think he's improving still and could be top 4 quality, even if he can be a bit wasteful in front of goal. Though as fans we can overrate our own players a bit so there's that to take into account.

He has 3 years left on his contract so I can't see him being cheap, particularly if they lose Toney this window.

1 hour ago, duo said:

Is it not called ambition? 

It's being a wanker, for me.  Ask yourself - if one of our players came out tomorrow and said 'I really want to play for a big club', would your first instinct be to think 'aye, right on mate'?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It's being a wanker, for me.  Ask yourself - if one of our players came out tomorrow and said 'I really want to play for a big club', would your first instinct be to think 'aye, right on mate'?

As someone who used to work in Brentford, if he came out and said his dream was to continue living and working there as long as possible I'd find it even more sus tbh!

Edited by Checko

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Exactly. Have ambition by all means but don’t need to be disrespectful by projecting it. Don’t need to broadcast it.

33 minutes ago, jigen said:

Howe knows only PL player. And he want to buy only PL players. A mistake when a manager make the market. Your fortune was the 2022 when you bought abroad.

95% of your posts are you saying we've wasted money at various points. Bore off, man. 

I think Olise became a pipe dream in the last couple months of the season. I’d also be surprised if we can afford anyone in that price range.

2 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I think Olise became a pipe dream in the last couple months of the season. I’d also be surprised if we can afford anyone in that price range.

He’s got a clause so I don’t think it’s a question of affordability, but I do think his recent form has increased the demand in him. 

7 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

He’s got a clause so I don’t think it’s a question of affordability, but I do think his recent form has increased the demand in him. 

Isn’t the clause like £60m?

Without Europe, the focus should be on getting the best upgrades to our strongest starting 11 (after the depth signing at CB to cover Botman & Lacelles' injuries).

I quite like Mbuemo, but I think if we signed him he would already be the weakest player in our starting front 6.

In my opinion, it would counter-productive to spend a significant fee on a player who in 6-12 months we immediately be looking to upgrade on.

Just now, timeEd32 said:

Isn’t the clause like £60m?

I’m not sure but even if it is, it’s less than Isak. I could be wrong but I think we do gain some FFP space after 1/7. 

44 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No disrespect to Brentford but you can't hold it against a player wanting to play for a more established club. Hasn't Bruno just done that albeit not verbally by putting in a release clause into his contract? He has clearly opened to door to the likes of Man City/Real Madrid. And if they came in I couldn't blame him for wanting to go. We are just not at that level yet, much like Brentford aren't at ours.

25 minutes ago, duo said:

No disrespect to Brentford but you can't hold it against a player wanting to play for a more established club. Hasn't Bruno just done that albeit not verbally by putting in a release clause into his contract? He has clearly opened to door to the likes of Man City/Real Madrid. And if they came in I couldn't blame him for wanting to go. We are just not at that level yet, much like Brentford aren't at ours.

A bit like us with Ashworth then…We have to pay what Brentford want, not just because the player wants to leave. He signed a contract and should honour it. 

Posted (edited)

This is what he said:

I have spent five years at Brentford, at a club that has allowed me to grow and pass a milestone but yes, I would like to play in the biggest competitions, at the best clubs. It is tantalising to see some big clubs interested in me. We will see.

I don’t find that particularly disrespectful to Brentford. They are, objectively, not one of the “big/best” clubs nor are they taking part in the biggest competitions (and we all know which clubs and competitions he’s referring to), but he’s hardy slagging them off. He’s put in 5 solid seasons there, and I don’t think his commitment or work rate have ever been questioned.

Edited by Deuce

My thoughts have really swung on Mbuemo recently. From thinking an upgrade/ideal fit/swap for Almiron to like others have said maybe not actually that big a step forward and maybe too much more of the same. Would love some more footballing brains in that position and the team as a whole. Would a MGW be able to squeeze in our team in that spot and still bring the best out of him and us? Or would he be wasted and better of looking elsewhere. Not sure how feasible but really like the look of Dani Olmo or a player of his ilk.

47 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I’m not sure but even if it is, it’s less than Isak. I could be wrong but I think we do gain some FFP space after 1/7. 

By allowable losses I think we'll be in decent shape for this summer. But UEFA's cost control ratio drops to 70% for 2025/26 (which is assessed in the 2025 calendar year), so we'll have an eye on that as well. I've been a little pessimistic about our summer spend pending the money coming in/wages out for Ashworth, Miggy, Wilson, and maybe a surprise or two (Longstaff? Trippier? Anderson? Targett?).

3 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

He'd be our starting RW which would likely mean Barnes and Gordon would never start together. 

I think the plan is to have is to have few "starters" so we can mix and match game by game. Especially in the forward positions where we press so much and sub quite a bit.

10 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

He'd be our starting RW which would likely mean Barnes and Gordon would never start together. 

I could see us playing something like this occasionally

Isak

Barnes        Gordon       RW

Bruno   Tonali

Just now, Jackie Broon said:

I could see us playing something like this occasionally

Isak

Barnes        Gordon       RW

Bruno   Tonali

Even playing a front three, having the other to bring off the bench, with our intensity, would be devastating.

Remember when we had a normal Injury hit squad (2022/23) only Brentford made more subs and most of ours were forwards to maintain the intensity.

Just now, madras said:

Even playing a front three, having the other to bring off the bench, with our intensity, would be devastating.

Remember when we had a normal Injury hit squad (2022/23) only Brentford made more subs and most of ours were forwards to maintain the intensity.

Yeah, I think that was the plan for this season, to rotate the forwards so they could run themselves into the ground, and why the injuries hit us so hard.