NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Just now, Dr.Spaceman said:

8 goal contributions this season, one every 99 minutes is enough for me :thup:

Don’t get me wrong, I see your point but ultimately buying Barnes left us short in over areas (obviously this isn’t Barnes fault himself). 

I think sometimes things are a bit more nuanced than goal contributions as well. 

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

8 goal contributions this season, one every 99 minutes is enough for me :thup:

He's been good when he's played. You can't overlook the fact he's been unavailable for the majority of his time, his price tag, resale value and the fact it wasn't a priority position when evaluating the transfer though...

Just now, r0cafella said:

Don’t get me wrong, I see your point but ultimately buying Barnes left us short in over areas (obviously this isn’t Barnes fault himself). 

I think sometimes things are a bit more nuanced than goal contributions as well. 

Genuine question and not trying to be a dick here - do we know this for certain?

Genuine question and not trying to be a dick here - do we know this for certain?

Yes we do, we spent x on Barnes and didn’t spend x on a left back or right winger. 

If we go back a year most of this forum wanted those positions filled as a priority. 

Do people really want Rayan Cherki? He’s got great technical ability but Christ, physically, he’s the laziest most unfit player I’ve ever seen play at the top level; just disdainfully strolls about the field moaning and snarling. His agent is also Mbappe’s mum who, by all accounts, is an absolute nightmare too. 

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

Do people really want Rayan Cherki? He’s got great technical ability but Christ, physically, he’s the laziest most unfit player I’ve ever seen play at the top level; just disdainfully strolls about the field moaning and snarling. His agent is also Mbappe’s mum who, by all accounts, is an absolute nightmare too. 

West Ham seem keen on him. Perhaps destined for them not us. 

7 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Yes we do, we spent x on Barnes and didn’t spend x on a left back or right winger. 

If we go back a year most of this forum wanted those positions filled as a priority. 

But how do we know we didn't spend on a left back or a right winger because one that we wanted just wasn't available to us? I assume by this metric you're disappointed with the Lewis Hall transfer as well, given he contributed so little when we needed to spend elsewhere?

22 minutes ago, khay said:

If we went for Tomori or Guehi straight from Chelsea people would have been saying we have our CB back pairing sorted for the next ten years like they did with our full backs when we signed Hall and Tino. 

They would be fewming if we bought them at age 27 after years Wolves or Leeds though. :lol:

Lies!

You only have to look at what was being said when we were linked with Chalobah last summer.

Tomori and Guehi did not have anywhere near the reputations they have now, back then.

But how do we know we didn't spend on a left back or a right winger because one that we wanted just wasn't available to us? I assume by this metric you're disappointed with the Lewis Hall transfer as well, given he contributed so little when we needed to spend elsewhere?

Re Hall, we haven’t actually spent anything yet so that’s fine. 

if you wait for the right target to come along you basically never buy anyone, we aren’t really in a position to do that. Imagine if Olise was our right target we waited on for example? 

Given FFP we actually should be trying to trade aggressively so we can keep some headroom in hand. 

22 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Why do we keep bringing up Harvey Barnes in conversations about who we should or shouldn't have signed? The bloke has been very good for us ffs [emoji38]

Yup, also there were no guarantees Gordon's progress would be so rapid, and so he was brought in as a reliable contributor on that left side.

He got injured early doors and Gordon had a breakout season.

Re Hall, we haven’t actually spent anything yet so that’s fine. 

if you wait for the right target to come along you basically never buy anyone, we aren’t really in a position to do that. Imagine if Olise was our right target we waited on for example? 

Given FFP we actually should be trying to trade aggressively so we can keep some headroom in hand. 

I don't disagree with any of that (maybe the Hall bit, surely we've given Chelsea something for the last year or so....) but I just think there's a lot of assumptions being thrown about that nobody outside of a few at the club could be aware of. I'm glad we're not doing what some clubs do and just bring in anyone for the sake of it though.

I don't disagree with any of that (maybe the Hall bit, surely we've given Chelsea something for the last year or so....) but I just think there's a lot of assumptions being thrown about that nobody outside of a few at the club could be aware of. I'm glad we're not doing what some clubs do and just bring in anyone for the sake of it though.

The club certainly won’t be telling us about what they didn’t do, no club does so of course an element of conjecture is involved. 

personally, I wasn’t against Barnes signing, I think he’s a very good player, I’m not sure he’s what we needed last summer though. 

Just now, gbandit said:

Seems like a lot of our CB interest is linked to players abroad rather than the home market. Whereas attacking players the links have been more PL-based

European agents love using us to try and move players I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on it unless it comes from reliable sources over here. 

8 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

The club certainly won’t be telling us about what they didn’t do, no club does so of course an element of conjecture is involved. 

personally, I wasn’t against Barnes signing, I think he’s a very good player, I’m not sure he’s what we needed last summer though. 

Yeah, I just wonder if it was a case of signing Barnes or nobody at the time, without the club properly realizing the implications further down the line or something not coming off as intended to offset or soften the PSR impact.

Assumptions galore [emoji38]

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

Yeah, I just wonder if it was a case of signing Barnes or nobody at the time, without the club properly realizing the implications further down the line or something not coming off as intended to offset or soften the PSR impact.

From all I’ve read the points deduction Everton got came as a shock to most of the league, it definitely feels like that moment was one which changed the entire league’s calculations. 

It’s very easy for us on the outside to comment and pick at things but I think being in the situation and having to make decisions certainly narrows the focus. I’m sure this is something we can all relate to as well. 

Coming from that horror injury season of last, I don't think we should put too much emphasis on that.

Seems we're having issues getting rid of players, but the biggest question of them all is if we actually need to move anyone or if everything has been calculated and is within the PSR/FFP framework. I would expect more frantic, desperate links in regards to getting people out/in/trade-offs if we were in the hole, no?

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

From all I’ve read the points deduction Everton got came as a shock to most of the league, it definitely feels like that moment was one which changed the entire league’s calculations. 

It’s very easy for us on the outside to comment and pick at things but I think being in the situation and having to make decisions certainly narrows the focus. I’m sure this is something we can all relate to as well. 

Yep, feels like that was the moment when everyone realised how serious the PL were about actually fucking themselves over.

Yep, feels like that was the moment when everyone realised how serious the PL were about actually fucking themselves over.

Now this is a sentiment I don’t share, I think everything is working as intending as far as the overall consensus is concerned, if anything they want and will be getting even tighter financial controls. 

Out of the following who do we think we’ll sell?

Miggy

Fraser (have Southampton made an offer yet)

Dubs

Wilson 

Targett

Ashby

Longstaff 

Trippier 

I predict we sell:

Wilson

Fraser

Miggy

Dubs (for a tiny fee)

I predict we loan out:

Ashby

Targett

I predict we don’t sell or loan:

Trippier

Longstaff

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Now this is a sentiment I don’t share, I think everything is working as intending as far as the overall consensus is concerned, if anything they want and will be getting even tighter financial controls. 

From the PL's persective it is working as intended. From the clubs perspective I'm not sure they want the rules tightened any further, that would be absolute suicide. I really do think there'll be pressure from sponsors, Sky Sports etc if the level drops and we see more players going to Spain, Germany etc

From the PL's persective it is working as intended. From the clubs perspective I'm not sure they want the rules tightened any further, that would be absolute suicide. I really do think there'll be pressure from sponsors, Sky Sports etc if the level drops and we see more players going to Spain, Germany etc

I think it hinges on the legal action currently being taken, seems like a vote to loosen the rules is unlikely at this stage. 

I think it hinges on the legal action currently being taken, seems like a vote to loosen the rules is unlikely at this stage. 

Yeah, daft to rock the boat further when there's that going on. Still a little miffed that we're being the exemplary teachers pet though.