NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He has a little goatee doesn't he? Or he has had. 

You had me doubting myself, I googled and couldn't find one image. :lol: Could be the shadow from his massive man jaw.

46 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Thiaw was really good the season before but he’s looked very shaky since his return from injury. Great timing to try and get him when his stock is so low; still young and has all the attributes to grow into a quality PL centre-back imo.

A very clear part of our transfer strategy that we do look to do at times, seems to be buying talents after a not so great or productive year.

Isak and Gordon were massive hits off the back of such a strategy.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

A very clear part of our transfer strategy that we do look to do at times, seems to be buying talents after a not so great or productive year.

Isak and Gordon were massive hits off the back of such a strategy.

Yeah, PSR rules mean we’re having to box clever in the market and buying the dip as opposed to paying hype-inflated prices.

It’s also cool to see that we’re focusing on buying players based on profile and attributes (as to how well they can work with our playing style) instead of form. The game is rigged at the top so we can’t do what the other top teams can; we have a clear strategy and I’m here for it.

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

Yeah, PSR rules mean we’re having to box clever in the market and buying the dip as opposed to paying hype-inflated prices.

It’s also cool to see that we’re focusing on buying players based on profile and attributes (as to how well they can work with our playing style) instead of form. The game is rigged at the top so we can’t do what the other top teams can; we have a clear strategy and I’m here for it.

Yeah, I wish more folks would grasp this, and not freak out so much because some players we go for are not necessarily an obvious 'flavour of the month', and coming off a great season.

Really think this approach has played a big part in helping us to make up so much ground so quickly.

11 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, I wish more folks would grasp this, and not freak out so much because some players we go for are not necessarily an obvious 'flavour of the month', and coming off a great season.

Really think this approach has played a big part in helping us to make up so much ground so quickly.

I’m not sure people are unhappy with this approach tbh, people were absolutely delighted when we got Isak. I think what you are referring to his people not being happy when linked to overpriced British players- DCL, Mctominay etc. 

If anything, the excitement level goes up when we bid or get strongly linked to a potential younger foreign target where value for money is more likely.

9 minutes ago, Sean said:

Has anyone actually been freaking out or are you doing your usual patter there though?

A good player is a good player, quiet season or not. 

Absolutely no one is freaking out they just have a different opinion to Kaka :lol:

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m not sure people are unhappy with this approach tbh, people were absolutely delighted when we got Isak. I think what you are referring to his people not being happy when linked to overpriced British players- DCL, Mctominay etc. 

If anything, the excitement level goes up when we bid or get strongly linked to a potential younger foreign target where value for money is more likely.

Like @McCormick just stated, it's targeting players that are also a fit for how we play.

Yeah, they may seem like they are 'over priced British players' until they aren't when they come into the team.

Just as was the case with Gordon.

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

Absolutely no one is freaking out they just have a different opinion to Kaka :lol:

Here we go again ...

Must have been just me that read the plethora posts about Brexit Eddie, get him off transfers etc etc.

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Depends what you mean by value for money though I suppose. I’d argue there’s more value in paying a little bit extra for a player you know can settle in the country and do well in the most difficult league in world football.

While I agree there’s potentially great players we’re missing out on by not shopping abroad more often, we can’t afford to take too many risks when the odds are stacked against us via FFP. The players we bought outside of the PL weren’t unknown punts; they were either established internationals or had played in the Champion’s League (and none were particularly cheap either btw) mitigating that risk a lot. I like what we’ve been doing so far, given the constraints.

7 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Depends what you mean by value for money though I suppose. I’d argue there’s more value in paying a little bit extra for a player you know can settle in the country and do well in the most difficult league in world football.

While I agree there’s potentially great players we’re missing out on by not shopping abroad more often, we can’t afford to take too many risks when the odds are stacked against us via FFP. The players we bought outside of the PL weren’t unknown punts; they were either established internationals or had played in the Champion’s League (and none were particularly cheap either btw) mitigating that risk a lot. I like what we’ve been doing so far, given the constraints.

It’s getting the balance right imo, taking risks abroad is cheaper than overpaying for some domestic targets.  As is it, we have been pretty much spot on so far.

18 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Like @McCormick just stated, it's targeting players that are also a fit for how we play.

Yeah, they may seem like they are 'over priced British players' until they aren't when they come into the team.

Just as was the case with Gordon.

Aye and I have said repeatedly I was massively wrong about Gordon. His profile is quite different to that of a DCL mind.