NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Just now, huss9 said:

so leaking a gordon story to what end?

Could be multiple reasons. Cushioning the blow of losing Minteh or Andetson and/or being able to point to the crushing reality of PSR moving forward.

I do think we'll have learnt valuable lessons from this though, I'll be shocked of we find ourselves in this position again, if it is of course as bad as the narrative suggests.

2 minutes ago, huss9 said:

so leaking a gordon story to what end?

Just my personal thought - Liverpool enquire about the availability of AG. We responded with a high figure. We leak the story as more evidence of PSR just resulting in the "big six" praying on the rest, knowing "the rules" make them vulnerable. Same with Chelsea/Isak. It could also be a softening-the-blow move when we sell Minteh, "Well, at least it wasn't Isak, Gordon etc"

The alternative is that we are trying to flog a major asset and this is us just trying to drum up interest. That doesn't bare thinking about.

I think the club are playing this perfectly, we must have extra sponsorship deals lined up that would dig us out of whatever PSR hole we are in, but Man.C winning the case they have against the league could mean we could up those a bit. They'll also be wanting to drop them so they go against next year's rather than this year's. 

So one of these "swaps" that makes the squad a bit better as well as gets us out of said hole would be perfect, until we know how much we can potentially get away with some of the sponsorship deals. 

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

I don’t think anybody gives him credit when he’s correct or sticks their neck out to say good or I agree. Mildly antagonistic but quite a useful source of information.

But still a cunt, that was my point.

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I really like Barnes - but he is one-dimensional.  No issue with that for me - he's direct - the lad is always looking to find a position from which to shoot.  It is something many players in the modern game lack.

Hall and Livramento are for the future - but in the immediate term, I didn't view them as resounding successes.  I'm confident they will be.

Agreed re Tonali - hopefully in a few years' time we can wax lyrical about the career the lad had on Tyneside after a nightmare start.  But as it stands - he's up there.

Agree with this, and then theres also: Where is he going to play in this team? Will he only ever come on when Gordon needs a blow? Or when Gordon can be slotted over to the right? Partly why it was such a head scratcher of a move. He's a talent obviously though.

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

Bad day at the office but he’s genuinely one of the hottest cb prospects in world football. Would be quite the statement signing imo. 

Indeed. And if you're going to try and start discussions over a player whose price you'd like to try and negotiate down, doing so after that showing is certainly the way to go.