NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

47 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I think there has been healthy debate recently about the type of right winger we do need, with some fans saying we need more of a technical wide man that can pick a pass against the low block and others preferring a similar profile to what Gordon brings down the left.

Gibbs-White is a hybrid of both, he is proficient in the technical side but has the work rate and drive to run at players when needed.

We have also seen that the better technical wide players are comfortable coming in to the middle and playing in the 10 role, so I don’t see it as a stretch to think that MGB would be as comfortable on the right as he is through the middle. If anything, I could see him and Tonali swapping positions during the game like Joeinton and Willock did.

Agree with this 100%.

Gibbs-White is really versatile and intelligent and causes problems from any of those attacking positions, as well as the number 8 positions too if needed. This would be incredibly useful to have.

That breakout season for Sheffield United in the Championship he played on the right, number 10, and even upfront and was a threat in all of those positions.

No question at all he could play on the right in our team. He'd be finding spaces and popping up everywhere from there.

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

I think there has been healthy debate recently about the type of right winger we do need, with some fans saying we need more of a technical wide man that can pick a pass against the low block and others preferring a similar profile to what Gordon brings down the left.

Gibbs-White is a hybrid of both, he is proficient in the technical side but has the work rate and drive to run at players when needed.

We have also seen that the better technical wide players are comfortable coming in to the middle and playing in the 10 role, so I don’t see it as a stretch to think that MGB would be as comfortable on the right as he is through the middle. If anything, I could see him and Tonali swapping positions during the game like Joeinton and Willock did.

One of Barnes's strengths is his pass into space (see his link up with Vardy) and little passes in and around the area to create chances, quick 1-2s back to himself for a shooting opportunity. I'd have no problem whatsoever seeing him on the left with Gordon's directness on the right offering the sort of first time crossing opportunities we need on the wing. 

59 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

Tonali will help a lot with the pace in midfield. He doesn't look it, but he is exceptionally fast. He was apparently the fastest player in Milan, include the likes of Leao.

Yep Tonali is deceptively rapid. I remember seeing him for Italy under 21’s last summer and he flew past the French full back. Even the commentators mentioned how quick he was, given the French full back was no snail.

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

I think Gibbs White is brilliant but I don't think he'd fit into our current system with 3 centre mids or on the right wing. 

I think he'd be great as a number 10 behind Isak but we rarely play with one

I'd like us to sign him and change our system rather than shoehorn him onto the right wing

If we’re playing Tino as a marauding RB, with the RCM in a more conservative role, MGW is great for RW, coming into that half space.

Can also play LW if Isak/Barnes injured and Gordon needs to go up front. Can also slot into CM if really needed.

Think for an evolution of the side, he’s a good player to get.

The problem with the right footer at RW, even if he drifts inside, is that he doesn't bring a goal scoring threat from cutting in. We need a winger who likes to cut inside and let the fullback overlap, which Trippier or Tino will gladly do, and possess a decent enough left foot. Bringing in a right footer will slow the play down, especially if he is not 2-footed enough.

Edited by KingArthur

1 hour ago, Dr Jinx said:

The thing our midfield lacks the most if real pace, we have it up top and our full backs are ok.. but midfield we will always struggle when chasing back, and equally struggle to break lines and carry the ball at pace towards a defence.

When you have the likes of Gordon, Isak or Barnes looking to run onto a through pass while someone like Gibbs-White runs at pace directly at defenders, that presents a whole different scenario than what we currently have.

The front three could essentially change positions throughout a game which would be a nightmare for opposing teams.

(Potential first team when all fit.. or signed)

Gordon                      Isak

Gibbs-White

Big Joe - Bruno - Tonali

Hall Botman Silva Livramento

Pope

What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

1 minute ago, KingArthur said:

The problem with the right footer at RW, even if he drifts inside, is that he doesn't bring a goal scoring threat from cutting in. We need a winger who likes to cut inside and let the fullback overlap, which Trippier or Tino will gladly do, and possess a decent enough left foot. after that. Bringing in a right footer will slow the play down, especially if he is not 2-footed enough.

There's all types of different profiles, not everyone has to cut inside to shoot though.

4 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

The problem with the right footer at RW, even if he drifts inside, is that he doesn't bring a goal scoring threat from cutting in. We need a winger who likes to cut inside and let the fullback overlap, which Trippier or Tino will gladly do, and possess a decent enough left foot. after that. Bringing in a right footer will slow the play down, especially if he is not 2-footed enough.

We’ve had Almiron slow it down loads coming inside. Being able to cut in on stronger foot is only so good if you are good on your right or exceptional on left.

Theres value in coming in on your right, playing that short pass to Bruno/Tonali for a one two, behind the defence, and playing it first time on your strong side into the 6 yard box with Isak waiting there. 

Edited by Sibierski

11 minutes ago, KaKa said:

There's all types of different profiles, not everyone has to cut inside to shoot though.

No, of course not. But we are not Man City or someone else that controls the play all the time. Howe's football is a lot about transitions,  and getting your best goalscorers to best possible places to shoot increases our chances. Even Almiron has been effective in that role, and he is totally one footed and doesn't have a great shot.

Edit. And if the RW doesnt cut in but stays wide, then the fullback has to come inside. If the winger drifts to right side pocket he will be in same position that Bruno often occupies when we attack slower. And of course we need a player that has better weaker foot than Almiron has. 

Edited by KingArthur

While I get the attraction of having wingers who can cut inside and shoot, I do think that when Murphy played, his ability to get to the byline and cross it paid off a few times because cutting back often slows down the play and allows defenders to regroup. A better version of that would do me nicely.

We're absolutely crying out for a bolt-from-the-blue rumour for an unexpected player that's at the end of the negotiation stages and is ready for a medical. Let it happen this week to give us something to cheer about before England shit their pants against the Swiss

Neto I would’ve liked 3 years ago when he was 21 and there was something to work with, but feel that the talent has sailed now and what you see is what you get. Which is a good player on his day, but that not reliable enough for a club who wants to compete at top end.

29 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

No, of course not. But we are not Man City or someone else that controls the play all the time. Howe's football is a lot about transitions,  and getting your best goalscorers to best possible places to shoot increases our chances. Even Almiron has been effective in that role, and he is totally one footed and doesn't have a great shot.

Edit. And if the RW doesnt cut in but stays wide, then the fullback has to come inside. If the winger drifts to right side pocket he will be in same position that Bruno often occupies when we attack slower. And of course we need a player that has better weaker foot than Almiron has. 

I didn't see any of these issues pop up when Murphy played on the right.

Murphy still got shots away, the full back was still involved and was still a threat going forward, and Bruno's impact was not hindered in any way.

I see Eddie hasn't jumped on my suggestion of signing Ivan Toney, unless he's just waiting for the Euro's to finish, or he just doesn't read this forum 

..........................................Worrying 

Just now, Ben said:

I see Eddie hasn't jumped on my suggestion of signing Ivan Toney, unless he's just waiting for the Euro's to finish, or he just doesn't read this forum 

..........................................Worrying 

Toney is free this summer or next?

18 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I didn't see any of these issues pop up when Murphy played on the right.

Murphy still got shots away, the full back was still involved and was still a threat going forward, and Bruno's impact was not hindered in any way.

fair enough, I respect your opinion and think totally differently. Although there must be some reason that no top team has right winger who is right footed? At least in the PL, if I remember correctly.

And I think those issues did pop up even with Murphy. And Murphy is not a technical player drifting to that pocket which Bruno often occupies.