NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

57 minutes ago, MagMal said:

At the rate we are going clearing out the squad I can see another 3 or 4 going before the end of next week!.

I think Eddie prefers a smaller squad to work with and without the extra European games maybe the thought process is for a small number of quality additions after a clear out, push hard for Europe, and save the pennys and ffp for an extra push next year.

Drain the swamp! Drain the swamp!

5 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

Thems were the good ole days, 10 points clear at Christmas, so far ahead of the pack that the engraver was already etching our name onto the trophy to save himself a job in May

Screenshot-2024-07-02-170411.jpg

just no fucking need, man. PTSD.

7 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

The smoggies were having a great season too up to that point. Was that the Juninho effect? I can’t remember who came first, between him and Ravanelli

Juninho joined summer 95, Ravanelli a year later

2 hours ago, MagMal said:

At the rate we are going clearing out the squad I can see another 3 or 4 going before the end of next week!.

I think Eddie prefers a smaller squad to work with and without the extra European games maybe the thought process is for a small number of quality additions after a clear out, push hard for Europe, and save the pennys and ffp for an extra push next year.

I'm quite excited about this idea - there are plenty of players EH has developed and obviously puts his time into. Whilst they are all good players, one man can only do so much and some won't make it for various reasons.

If I were him, I'd prefer a smaller squad of quality players you can devote your time to more, and possibly some with a higher ceiling you can push them to.

The challenge comes in future seasons when we likely hit Europe again and there are more games, so a bigger squad is needed.

It probably feels like he's carrying the load of every decision right now as the face of the club, at least from the fanbase and the press, which is why I do think a visible sporting director maybe needs to be the next transfer we make.

27 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

The smoggies were having a great season too up to that point. Was that the Juninho effect? I can’t remember who came first, between him and Ravanelli

Juninho had the opposite effect on them

He signed less than 2month before that table (debut against Leeds early November). They were obviously doing well up until then having just been promoted. Momentum accounting for a lot perhaps. They won more games in 11 without him than in the 27 with him.

After this they won 2 more games all season and were in total freefall and continued that relegation form throughout the whole of the following season. Probably as a result of upsetting a modest but solid team to accomodate a completely different sort of player far too soon.

Edited by Jonas

14 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Juninho had the opposite effect on them

He signed less than 2month before that table (debut against Leeds early November). They were obviously doing well up until then having just been promoted. Momentum accounting for a lot perhaps. They won more games in 11 without him than in the 27 with him.

After this they won 2 more games all season and were in total freefall and continued that relegation form throughout the whole of the following season. Probably as a result of upsetting a modest but solid team to accomodate a completely different sort of player far too soon.

nubxo.jpg

3 hours ago, CPL said:

Can someone summarise what it said in the video? 

I only watched about a 1/3 of it but he basically said we found ourselves in the hole for £50-60M on Saturday despite weeks trying to sell and we were forced to get rid of a very promising Minteh despite him never having played for us and Anderson despite him not being a first team player. I quit watching when he admitted we avoided selling one of our stars.  That is the bottom line for me. Isak, Gordon, and Bruno are all still here.

2 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

I only watched about a 1/3 of it but he basically said we found ourselves in the hole for £50-60M on Saturday despite weeks trying to sell and we were forced to get rid of a very promising Minteh despite him never having played for us and Anderson despite him not being a first team player. I quit watching when he admitted we avoided selling one of our stars.  That is the bottom line for me. Isak, Gordon, and Bruno are all still here.

If true, me the eternal optimist is concerned it was cut that close. Maybe it had to do with Dan the gardener man or perhaps we thought we had deals to make but that's a close shave. Points deduction = Europe much harder to achieve.

2 hours ago, McDog said:

If true, me the eternal optimist is concerned it was cut that close. Maybe it had to do with Dan the gardener man or perhaps we thought we had deals to make but that's a close shave. Points deduction = Europe much harder to achieve.

We move on. If they run into this shit again, then it's time to be seriously concerned.

10 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

Thems were the good ole days, 10 points clear at Christmas, so far ahead of the pack that the engraver was already etching our name onto the trophy to save himself a job in May

They were lucky it was only 3-1 too. Leeds ran them absolutely ragged. "No way are they championship material" one thought

Edited by Jonas

14 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

Yep, we blew it.

29 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Yep, we blew it.

Joining together @bobbydazzla’s Ceefax flashback and @Jonas’s view of the negative impact of a (otherwise top quality) new player, I remain one of the few with the view that buying Batty contributed to our downfall ‘that’ season. Changed the way we played,  slowed down our devastating speed of attack. 
Regardless of it being an unpopular (and possibly dubious) opinion along with Anelka handling the ball in the build up to an Arsenal FA Cup final goal I’ll take it to my grave—like psychological big fat keloid trauma scar! 

5 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Joining together @bobbydazzla’s Ceefax flashback and @Jonas’s view of the negative impact of a (otherwise top quality) new player, I remain one of the few with the view that buying Batty contributed to our downfall ‘that’ season. Changed the way we played,  slowed down our devastating speed of attack. 
Regardless of it being an unpopular (and possibly dubious) opinion along with Anelka handling the ball in the build up to an Arsenal FA Cup final goal I’ll take it to my grave—like psychological big fat keloid trauma scar! 

Way off thread topic, but I can't resist.

As I recall, Batty replaced Lee Clark in the anchor role, which at first I think was an upgrade, but maybe not a significant one. In later seasons, I think the conservatism of his play held us back a bit.

I think that the signing we shouldn't have made was Asprilla. Good player, but the partnership between Ferdinand and Beardsley, which was so fruitful, was disrupted, with Beardsley moving out wider to replace Gillespie, who was struggling. No-one would argue that Gillespie was a better player than Asprilla, but the shape and balance of the side was badly affected.

At the time of Asprilla's signing, Brian Clough wrote an article in a paper. He said that when Forest were closing in on the title, he was tempted to make a signing 'just to make sure', as it were. He resisted the temptation, thinking that the signing might be a vote of no confidence in the existing players, and was based on anxiety rather than positive thinking. Clough thought that the Asprilla signing would prove to be an error, for those reasons.

Right or wrong, you can't get any better than correctly predicting the outcome.

Edited by Cronky

13 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Way off thread topic, but I can't resist.

As I recall, Batty replaced Lee Clark in the anchor role, which at first I think was an upgrade, but maybe not a significant one. In later seasons, I think the conservatism of his play held us back a bit.

I think that the signing we shouldn't have made was Asprilla. Good player, but the partnership between Ferdinand and Beardsley, which was so fruitful, was disrupted, with Beardsley moving out wider to replace Gillespie, who was struggling. No-one would argue that Gillespie was a better player than Asprilla, but the shape and balance of the side was badly affected.

At time time of Asprilla's signing, Brian Clough wrote an article in a paper. He said that when Forest were closing in on the title, he was tempted to make a signing 'just to make sure', as it were. He resisted the temptation, thinking that the signing might be a vote of no confidence in the existing players, and was based on anxiety rather than positive thinking. Clough thought that the Asprilla signing would prove to be an error, for those reasons.

Right or wrong, you can't get any better than correctly predicting the outcome.

Cheers lads. Bringing up all my repressed memories of Cantona, Schmeichel, Fenton, Collymore, Rosler and Woan. Won’t sleep tonight.

21 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Cheers lads. Bringing up all my repressed memories of Cantona, Schmeichel, Fenton, Collymore, Rosler and Woan. Won’t sleep tonight.

Fucking Woan. I Iived in Nottingham then and I was in the away end with a ticket I borrowed. Soon as Batty took his eye off the ball I knew what was coming. The crossley turned into fucking inspector gadget or Reed Richards in the second half. The best 45 minutes of his fucking career. 

1 minute ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Fucking Woan. I Iived in Nottingham then and I was in the away end with a ticket I borrowed. Soon as Batty took his eye off the ball I knew what was coming. The crossley turned into fucking inspector gadget or Reed Richards in the second half. The best 45 minutes of his fucking career. 

Natch. I was at school down there in Long Eaton at the time so had the scabs giving it large the next day. Hated the cunts since, the ones that were actually Forest fans and not the subhuman plastics supporting Man Utd or Liverpool.

5 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Nah, that was at SJP in 2004 when they pumped us 4-1. He was like a fucking brick wall that day.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman