NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

I'd be much more confident in our backup midfielders than I would in our backup attackers.

Willock and Longstaff have proven that they can be effective players in an Eddie Howe Newcastle team playing top four football. Miley also needs a path to being involved in the first team if he's going to develop like we hope.

Even once we sign a RW, our depth there will be poor. Assuming Gordon - Isak - New RW is first choice, Barnes is the only one who's good enough after that IMO.

14 minutes ago, Shak said:

I'd be much more confident in our backup midfielders than I would in our backup attackers.

Willock and Longstaff have proven that they can be effective players in an Eddie Howe Newcastle team playing top four football. Miley also needs a path to being involved in the first team if he's going to develop like we hope.

Even once we sign a RW, our depth there will be poor. Assuming Gordon - Isak - New RW is first choice, Barnes is the only one who's good enough after that IMO.

I think my reservation is what is the plan if Tonali doesn't make the grade? Seems to be alot of assumptions that him being Bruno/Joe class is a given when it very much isn't. 

Should he not quite make the grade are we happy with an injury prone Willock and/or Longstaff as the replacement in a run in for CL qualification

Edited by Thumbheed

11 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

So I guess Ashby is just not a thing anymore? 

Remember Drameh being a bit deal a few years ago. Seems a canny pick up. Ashby is definitely for the door if so. Krath being able to play CB is also keeping him here a little longer imo.

54 minutes ago, andycap said:

So do yous think there could be anything in the raphina links? He'd be next level considering the other right wing options we have been linked with. 

I think on paper he'd be pretty much the ideal player for what we need at RW and I'd be very surprised if we're not interested, his name has been mentioned in connection to us for years.

Has the qualities of a winger in terms of being able to run at and beat a man but also likes to get on the ball and try to pick a killer pass in the final third.

Seems unclear as to what sort of wages he's on though, may be out of our range. And would he want to go to a club not in Europe while he's aged 27, in his prime?

I'd also be a little worried about a player moving to us as a downwards step. Will he have the motivation?

Think there's a fair chance he moves this summer, think we'll have an interest. Not sure we'll land him though.

Upon further look I expect the Drameh links are probably just agent driven. Linked to mid table champ and upper league one clubs.

Ironically we were in for him but then opted for Ashby instead in Jan 2023!

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/former-newcastle-united-target-set-for-summer-transfer-after-leeds-united-offer-4688448

1 hour ago, Thumbheed said:

I think my reservation is what is the plan if Tonali doesn't make the grade? Seems to be alot of assumptions that him being Bruno/Joe class is a given when it very much isn't. 

Should he not quite make the grade are we happy with an injury prone Willock and/or Longstaff as the replacement in a run in for CL qualification

I don't know, I feel you kind of have to assume that your 50m midfielder is pretty decent and will feature a fair amount. He might flop but he'll be given every opportunity to not do so.

For the record I'd very much be interested in moving on Longstaff and bringing in a new CM with more upside.

I'd probably currently rank CM behind RW, versatile forward, CB and GK in terms of priority targets though.

14 minutes ago, Shak said:

I think on paper he'd be pretty much the ideal player for what we need at RW and I'd be very surprised if we're not interested, his name has been mentioned in connection to us for years.

Has the qualities of a winger in terms of being able to run at and beat a man but also likes to get on the ball and try to pick a killer pass in the final third.

Seems unclear as to what sort of wages he's on though, may be out of our range. And would he want to go to a club not in Europe while he's aged 27, in his prime?

I'd also be a little worried about a player moving to us as a downwards step. Will he have the motivation?

Think there's a fair chance he moves this summer, think we'll have an interest. Not sure we'll land him though.

243.000 euros a week. 

If we just want a back up RB then Atal is worth a punt. He can also play RW as well, a low cost short term cover.

We have very limited budget and likely we can only buy one starting CB or RW. We better prepare to see Almiron continue to start for us (should be the last season though). In that case we can try to bid Antonio Silva for 50m. Very highly rated last season, dropped off a bit this season, but still worth to gamble imo. If he is back to his best we won’t be able to get him, as he is closely monitored by all the big clubs.

3 minutes ago, Zero said:

If we just want a back up RB then Atal is worth a punt. He can also play RW as well, a low cost short term cover.

We have very limited budget and likely we can only buy one starting CB or RW. We better prepare to see Almiron continue to start for us (should be the last season though). In that case we can try to bid Antonio Silva for 50m. Very highly rated last season, dropped off a bit this season, but still worth to gamble imo. If he is back to his best we won’t be able to get him, as he is closely monitored by all the big clubs.

I think he’s gone. Him and Wilson are the two that will make way. I can’t see Miggy staying here when we need a saleable asset to fund that right hand side and have the more versatile Murphy as back up.

5 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

I think he’s gone. Him and Wilson are the two that will make way. I can’t see Miggy staying here when we need a saleable asset to fund that right hand side and have the more versatile Murphy as back up.

I want to raise more funds for a new RW as well, however it seems like both Almiron and Wilson prefers to stay. We can’t force them out…

9 hours ago, Thumbheed said:

Don't think I have, I don't think he could take any of the top teams up a level but the likes of Joe could. Still a very good player and contributed in the same way Longstaff did in the CL year and whilst I rate him higher than Longstaff their impact at their best has been almost the same.

Have to bare in mind Isak, Gordon and Bruno are the level we're aiming for. There's no reason therefore why we still can't go after that calibre of player in every postion. 

Tino and Barnes being good examples of players signed who would be good enough for a starting postion inspite of having similar quality players in front of them.

Have you actually watched a fit Joe Willock under Eddie?

8 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Strong links to Thiaw in the Italian media again.

Feels like this is the guy we want. No idea who he is though [emoji38]
Really lack som RW rumours though. Or is it MGW we think is the target?

13 minutes ago, ATB said:

Feels like this is the guy we want. No idea who he is though [emoji38]
Really lack som RW rumours though. Or is it MGW we think is the target?

If Trippier leaves and we've got Tino starting, having MGW as a RW could actually work pretty well. Tino will keep the width + make runs behind the defence and MGW can combine with him or drift into the centre/box. 

Personally though I do think the RW we are after probably hasn't even been mentioned yet and ideally that's the way it should stay until he's in the building.