The chants thread - Read OP

Mike

1 hour ago, Chicken Dancer said:

The promotion season in 09/10 probably remains my favourite year as a fan you know. Last year was great but I'm a Dad now :lol: 

Back then - 21 years old, not a care in the world. Up there with 7 other mates. Was absolutely mint every week. Was genuinely like an away day every game. Absolutely class.

Strawberry Corner does what it can but it's nowt like it was up there back then. 

Loved that season up there, easily 15-20 songs a game. Everyone sang loud and proud. 

44 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

I think the difference now (and I apologise for pigeon-holing a generation) is that the younger fans are more concerned about showing people that they're at the match via Snapchat & instagram than actually going with the purpose of letting loose and being a lunatic for 90 minutes.

For me going to the match has always been the release at the end of my week - whether it be school, college, uni or now work. For 90 minutes you can just forget about whatever is going on in life and be with 50,000 like minded fans supporting the same thing. 

It seems these days that if you're a younger fan, recording fans singing or parts of the game are more important than actually creating an atmosphere.

As @NUFC91 has said a good few times, moving like-minded fans to designated singing areas would definitely improve things. Having 2x singing sections in the Strawberry Corner and somewhere in the Leazes would improve the atmosphere tenfold. I think they've done something similar at the Emirates and it's had decent results.

For the record, as a fairly well-travelled away fan, I must admit St James' is much better than many other grounds in the UK in terms of atmosphere, despite what we think. But that's not to say it couldn't be much better with some tweaks to seating arrangements.

Exactly all it is, i would go as far to say if you had 2k in lower leazes stood all game it would be class given the strawberry corner. 

One of main drivers for new stadium is seat moves

2 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Exactly all it is, i would go as far to say if you had 2k in lower leazes stood all game it would be class given the strawberry corner. 

One of main drivers for new stadium is seat moves

The problem is there isn't that many that wanna sing anymore

It's either full of old cunts or Snapchat younguns like mentioned above

Even at sheff utd the other week when we were twatting them there was plenty glum faces not fancying a sing song

48 minutes ago, plenum said:

Bring back the simple yet powerful chant of UNITED-UNITED-UNITED.......and so on. Haven't heard that since god knows how long!

Personal opinion but that’s been ruined by the ‘TOON’ in between Uniteds. Video of away fans at Peterborough away in early 90s is exactly how it should be sang. 

2 hours ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Personal opinion but that’s been ruined by the ‘TOON’ in between Uniteds. Video of away fans at Peterborough away in early 90s is exactly how it should be sang. 

2 hours ago, Chicken Dancer said:

That's the one. Absolutely mint that man.

Still think best thing about that is the clapping in between we gonna win the league. Fuck me to have that these days

I had some blokes laughing and taking the piss out of me last season for the clapping. I’m not sure how to describe it… (I think it’s after “Get into them and fuck them up “- which is also barely ever sung).

I did hear the clapping from the Leazes in the Strawberry Corner last week however! 

I tried to explain to these blokes and they just took the piss further. “What’s clapping going to do man”. Completely missing the point. That’s the mentality you have to compete with now.

59 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

I had some blokes laughing and taking the piss out of me last season for the clapping. I’m not sure how to describe it… (I think it’s after “Get into them and fuck them up “- which is also barely ever sung).

I did hear the clapping from the Leazes in the Strawberry Corner last week however! 

I tried to explain to these blokes and they just took the piss further. “What’s clapping going to do man”. Completely missing the point. That’s the mentality you have to compete with now.

Knob heads. On both counts. 

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

Stupid cunts man

Edited by jack j

Just now, Groundhog63 said:

Anyone remember

I was drunk last night

I was drunk the night before

And when I get up in the morning I'm gonna drink some more.... 

Personal favourite. Remember singing it on the coaches back to the airport after Real Mallorca. Three days without any kip, felt appropriate.

4 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I have to say, I'm normally against props, but having heard PSG last night I wouldn't be completely against us having a drum like, it was so fucking loud :lol:

Nah, bit Crystal Palace and their Holmesdale End “Ultras”. Next we’ll all be turning up in black bomber jackets.