Harvey Barnes

khay

49 minutes ago, 54 said:

I feel like your arguing with yourself at this point my guy :lol:

It's all part of a cycle that builds on the work of the great NE5:

1. Hypothesise about a past event, with hindsight and conjecture doing most of the heavy lifting.

2. A healthy debate breaks out.

3. Debate to a relentlessly tedious degree, until anyone who disagrees or points out obvious flaws, leaves to scream into a pillow or stick pins in their eyes.

4. Pat yourself on the back on a job well done.

5. Introduce a new theory, which frequently contradicts the previous one.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice goal, and that ball for Osula's disallowed one is the sort he'd feed Vardy with for fun, and would do for Isak too. Wouldn't be a surprise if he started v Southampton.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

The disrespect he gets from our lot (mainly seen on social media, enough said ig) is mental. 

Might not skin 3 players, do a load of step overs or wear a Gucci head band but if he plays more next seasons he’ll have some decent GA stats. 

3 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

The disrespect he gets from our lot (mainly seen on social media, enough said ig) is mental. 

Might not skin 3 players, do a load of step overs or wear a Gucci head band but if he plays more next seasons he’ll have some decent GA stats. 

Totally agree. He also showed second half why he shouldn’t be trying mazy runs, but moving the ball out of his feet and cutting in he’s very effective. 

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Totally agree. He also showed second half why he shouldn’t be trying mazy runs, but moving the ball out of his feet and cutting in he’s very effective. 

Loves a good 1-2 as well. 

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Going to say it, he's better than Gordon. 

Hes a different player. I think he’s a better finisher but he ls not as quick and doesn’t take players on like Gordon does. I could easily see him getting double figures in goals this season and if he hadn’t been injured I think we’d have been in Europe this season. His and Popes injury last season was critical.

Said it before, say it again; it should be  Barnes left Gordon right. For me, it just seems a real waste to not have the quality of that front 3 (with Isak) on the pitch at the same time and we’re handicapping ourselves by not choosing so. 

The reason why Gordon is just as good on the right is because his game is not really about coming inside to shoot or even coming inside and threading intricate passes - at least, not as much as Barnes. His game is about pace in behind, link up play, getting in good positions to score. He can go inside or outside on the right and I think having someone rapid as him going down the line at times adds a good balance to the other winger coming inside.

Barnes will give us goals and assists, we need his quality & technique in the final third when it comes to finishing. Look at his assist for the offside goal too. His form has been up and down, I remember he had a stinker away to palace last season, like most that night. But he needs a long run in the side to get into his rhythm and be afforded the odd misfire here and there. 

I do think Murphy is good enough as a squad player, I understand we need another winger quality wise but if Almiron isn’t sold then I’d actually not be averse to rotating him on the left now and again. Because he’s so one-footer it would force him to go on the outside and focus on whipping crosses in for runners and if Hall is left back, it would actually compliment him as there is a clear tactic for Hall to drift inside and even get into the box, which would dovetail well with Almiron going down the line.

2 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

Said it before, say it again; it should be  Barnes left Gordon right. For me, it just seems a real waste to not have the quality of that front 3 (with Isak) on the pitch at the same time and we’re handicapping ourselves by not choosing so. 

The reason why Gordon is just as good on the right is because his game is not really about coming inside to shoot or even coming inside and threading intricate passes - at least, not as much as Barnes. His game is about pace in behind, link up play, getting in good positions to score. He can go inside or outside on the right and I think having someone rapid as him going down the line at times adds a good balance to the other winger coming inside.

Barnes will give us goals and assists, we need his quality & technique in the final third when it comes to finishing. Look at his assist for the offside goal too. His form has been up and down, I remember he had a stinker away to palace last season, like most that night. But he needs a long run in the side to get into his rhythm and be afforded the odd misfire here and there. 

I do think Murphy is good enough as a squad player, I understand we need another winger quality wise but if Almiron isn’t sold then I’d actually not be averse to rotating him on the left now and again. Because he’s so one-footer it would force him to go on the outside and focus on whipping crosses in for runners and if Hall is left back, it would actually compliment him as there is a clear tactic for Hall to drift inside and even get into the box, which would dovetail well with Almiron going down the line.

Howe isn’t going to play Barnes on the right (even tho he said he can play there last offseason) so I agree our most dangerous front 3 currently is Barnes, Isak, Gordon, no doubt about that. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

7 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Going to say it, he's better than Gordon. 

Going to say it, you’re wrong mate :lol: He’s a more clinical finisher but apart from that Gordon’s a much much better player overall. 

5 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Going to say it, you’re wrong mate :lol: He’s a more clinical finisher but apart from that Gordon’s a much much better player overall. 

Very different types of winger with different attributes.

Love them both.

It was nice to see them as the frontline against Spurs and it seemed to work.

Obviously Barnes might not be enthralled with the idea but he did look good coming on for 25mins on the left as a finisher also.

Also with the Gordon situation a little delicate do you really want to be messing around with him moving him from his favoured LW spot.

Going to be interesting to see who the favoured front three are over the course of the season.

I like Barnes but I’m not sure he’s good enough to warrant moving Gordon. 

I thought Barnes was pretty poor yesterday and has looked rusty in pre season. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

20 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I like Barnes but I’m not sure he’s good enough to warrant moving Gordon. 

I thought Barnes was pretty poor yesterday and has looked rusty in pre season. 

Overall game is atrocious but nice goal and finish yesterday.