Rangers 1-2 Newcastle United (18/07/2023)

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Loved Ibrox, felt like a proper football stadium. Glasgow seems a great city, similar to Newcastle. Their metro system is miles better mind

It's more reliable and regular in terms of service but that's largely because it is just a single self contained underground loop of 15 stations. That's far easier to manage than the TW Metro where you've got parts of the line shared with National Rail, road and pedestrian crossings, loads of above ground infrastructure and stations which exposes to weather, ASB and theft etc. You've also got four times as many stations covering a much larger area.

It was really useful for getting to Ibrox from the centre but loop systems like that are pretty limited overall IMO. They've also had their new trains sitting in the depot for years now for some reason so I'm not sure what's going on there.

It's very cool though. The smaller gauge and tiny carriages/tunnels makes it really unique.

Edited by ponsaelius

47 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Loved Ibrox, felt like a proper football stadium. Glasgow seems a great city, similar to Newcastle. Their metro system is miles better mind

Glasgow is class aye. Been up for a few times for work events as our head office is there, people very similar to Newcastle too. Friendly and daft as a brush. 

Glasgow is class like, but I’m biased having lived there most of my adult life. Nice to hear people had such a great time in the city. Noticed a few arseholes of ours being embarrassing by singing sectarian songs but then the Union Bears were also belting out a good few of their repertoire as well. Fans seemed to get on well which was nice. 

1 minute ago, AJ9 said:

Glasgow is class like, but I’m biased having lived there most of my adult life. Nice to hear people had such a great time in the city. Noticed a few arseholes of ours being embarrassing by singing sectarian songs but then the Union Bears were also belting out a good few of their repertoire as well. Fans seemed to get on well which was nice. 

Apart from the lad who ran on the pitch I thought it was all good fun.

Must say I really enjoyed us replicating their goal music after we scored. The Anthony Gordon song seems to be our most sung chant now

4 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

Younguns singing sectarian songs, yet I would be looking for trouble by wearing my Toon top.  According to some on here.

5 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

I was up a few weeks back for my mate's wedding up near Balloch on Loch Lomond.  Had the Sunday in Glasgow.  

Absolutely quality place.  Had some top scran and beers.  Spoilt for choice with pubs and it was so cheap compared to drinking down here.  

Made me hope we draw Rangers in the CL for an away day, I enjoyed it that much.  

7 minutes ago, Rod said:

Younguns singing sectarian songs, yet I would be looking for trouble by wearing my Toon top.  According to some on here.

They were singing the “right” kind of sectarian songs for ibrox though…anyway, hugely positive overall but just irked me!

Totally agree about Glasgow being class. The right mix of being grand but also rough around the edges. Definitely should hop on the train there more often, kinda forget it's really not that much further from Edinburgh (where I go all the time, admittedly often for flights).

We went to Hamilton before the match as the buses we were on were heading to a club that was opening up especially for them. We didn't bother with the club and went off on our own for a little pub crawl and struggled to buy a drink. Literally every pub we went in there was Rangers fans wanting to pay for our beer for us! Never been made to feel so welcome as an away fan in my life and by all accounts it was a similar story everywhere. Everyone made to feel so welcome.

Aye. Didn't have the joy of grabbing a pint but literally loads of folk welcoming us and chatting with us and what not. Felt like it absolutely should have done. Suspect on a CL night it'd be far different but that's to be expected.

3 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Totally agree about Glasgow being class. The right mix of being grand but also rough around the edges. Definitely should hop on the train there more often, kinda forget it's really not that much further from Edinburgh (where I go all the time, admittedly often for flights).

Aye, I worked there for a while. Love the place. 

13 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

What did people make of the Union Bears behind the goal? God I hope we never get a drum. 

It's better than silence I suppose but I'm not a big fan of the drum and waving flags while the match is on would probably annoy me.

Rangers fan on the train this morning was saying it was the first time they'd ever done itand it was a bit of a trial. He seemed sure that a lot of people had complained about it, although I suspect he might have been projecting his own opinion onto others. He was a bit of a tit like.

1 hour ago, pedro111 said:

What did people make of the Union Bears behind the goal? God I hope we never get a drum. 

There’s good and bad to the UBs. They do some amazing tifos and foils, and at away games they make some noise, but at a home game I feel like they can sometimes spoil the atmosphere, because other parts of the ground might not always join in and the drum grates…however, it does help with the synchronisation and tempo of the chanting which we are absolutely cack at. They also have a deeper songbook than us as well (granted many are sectarian)

Even without a drum i have noticed rangers and even celtic manage to sing their songs a million miles an hour slower than we do,

Both got songs that that last an age as well

No excuse for us not doing it with the Blaydon Races at the very least

Good to read so many good stories. Was a bit worried it could be scuppered by some people not parking their non-football biases that I've read and the way young uns can be now.

Was at Ally McCoist's testimonial and that's how it was then and its a night that's lived with me. Scarves raining down on us and women blowing kisses. Singing each others songs during the game.  I just think that's the way to do it regardless of whether you've an inclanation otherwise or none at all.

My dad worked up there when I was a kid and said the people were great. obviously you cant generalise, but that's always been my experience.

They UB have been going for 15 years and have grown and transformed the support at Ibox, like the green Bridage have done at Celtic.  The ultra style support seems to be growing in scotland with many clubs having their own group.

IMO they provide a much better atmosphere than anything we have in England.  They werent great last night but it was a friendly, for league/cup games they are brilliant.  Anyone see the derby games will testify it rivals anything in Europe.

Some pictures/video of Green Brigade (Celtic) and Union Bears (Rangers) this season.

GB

image.thumb.png.841334420e77b17fc2c359bb58e58f45.png

image.thumb.png.50f88456d850dbd0bad0179a7ddebd9d.png

image.thumb.png.3af839212994097a42ffe5f2adc449cf.png

GB at celic womens game

Union Bears (Rangers)
image.thumb.png.bc32dd74ebc9f03b71c62c2c4bcbbef2.png

image.thumb.png.a72d0f1a2168ec43f9935e48cf530876.png

Loads more but theres a limit on photo size.

To say they get a bit more freedom than fans in England would be an understatement lol.  UB look like they will be controlling tickets in their section, with over 1000 members, the scene in scotland is going to be brilliant.

It looks great, no doubt. Just watching the stream last night the drum did my fucking head in! [emoji38]

I was also shocked to see a club like Rangers plays music when they score. I thought that was for tinpot clubs? Nevertheless. Ibrox is a beautiful old ground.

Genuinely really happy reading how many people enjoyed Glasgow. I’m not at all a fan of the old firm clubs but Glasgow/Airdrie is home. Shame I couldn’t make the game. I’ve always been welcomed very warmly when I come to Newcastle so I’m glad it appears Newcastle fans were given that same welcome. 

Ibrox is a terrific stadium and I’m sure lots of great lads in Glasgow support them. Hearing the red faced bigots that our support apparently holds joining in with their shit about Bobby Sands is genuinely depressing, and I hope we never bother with Rangers again outside of competitive football . Not a relationship I hope to cultivate. 

Edited by Hovagod