Newcastle United 5-1 Aston Villa - 12/08/23

Disco

9 minutes ago, St1pe said:

I didn’t want us to sign him when we were linked but Tielemans could never have played for us under Howe. Isn’t physical enough, doesn’t cover enough ground, isn’t dynamic. Got shown up by our midfield yesterday. 

Agree. 

As I’ve said before, I’m not convinced that Villa have improved that much in the transfer market this summer. 

I guess they have added a little bit is depth but they will need to take great care about when to use people like Tielemans. Sometimes he’ll just be overwhelmed by the pace of games. 

Thought McGinn was completely out of his depth as well, which was nice to see. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

Agree, Howe said the same thing basically, for an hour it felt like it could go either way, but that third goal killed them.

Equalised then had chances straight after we scored at 2-1, 3-1 and 4-1. Good chances. 

Granted we could've had 2-3 more as well but, as we all know, timi g is everything 

Dont think the scoreline was flattering at all based on chances atleast. They looked dangerous sometimes, but couldn't convert it into clear chances. Atleast not that i remember.

We on the other hand missed som pretty big ones:

Tonali, Isak, Wilson all missed 1v1 with the keeper. 

Almiron had a chance on open goal, and could have gotten another if not teared down by the keeper. Also had a dangerous cross a feet or so away from a Wilson tap in.

Joelinton header cleared on the line.

6 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

He will be a good signing of them, obviously he stunk yesterday but playing against our high energy style really isn’t his bag. 

Villa should be slightly concerned though midfield la led mobility and didn’t cover the half spaces well at all. 

Rough debut for Torres too. 

I was surprised to see them play such a high line, you would have thought with their pace up front, they would be better suited to sitting back. Especially if they are going to play Tielemans.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

:lol: We're really turning into Yankees fans with these callouts of @brummie.

Villa are going to finish top 6, imo. I think we just caught them at the right time.

You know damn well he’d be falling over himself to hit us with a “good ebening” at minute 94 if the scores were reversed :lol:.

Edited by McCormick

6 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Tielemans sub on at HT was a very strange one.

I don’t rate Bailey but it’s not like I saw anything that meant an immediate substitution made sense. A sub on 45 mins is always going to damage someone’s confidence. No word of an injury?

2 hours ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Can’t remember any decision of note the ref made that was controversial that went against them. Maybe the Luiz penalty claim but that was a half arsed appeal from him and he knew he wasn’t getting it. 

The Wilson goal Barnes looked offside. Shame they don’t show the lines anymore. 

You didn't need the lines, the grass shows both were onside?

17 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I don’t rate Bailey but it’s not like I saw anything that meant an immediate substitution made sense. A sub on 45 mins is always going to damage someone’s confidence. No word of an injury?

Think I remember the commentators saying he seemed to be 'feeling his back' before HT.

5 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Diaby was so dangerous, but I honestly think Howe didn't fancy him because of his physically. Toon certainly don't lack in height and physicality but with no sacrifice of pace in the team 

Aye he looks quality but not a Howe player. He seems to float around not much urgency in the defensive phase  

Hungover to fuck again. Ahhh it's good to be back.

Tonali or Isak MOTM for me. We are very good at playing association football. 

Didn't want to jinx it by mentioning beforehand but the last time Aston Villa won at St James' Park I hadn't even started primary school. Always nice to see that run continue. :thup:

48 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Don’t understand the Bruno criticism; watch the highlights back and you’ll see how involved he was 

It was just responses to some moments of sloppiness really. And I think against more athletic aggressive midfields he could do with keeping it simpler at times.

In actual reality, he takes so much responsibility in initiating and orchestrating our play that despite those moments he is still so instrumental.

He never really has a bad game when you look at everything on the whole. He's just that good that his dodgy moments really stand out.

Edited by KaKa

For me it was a really strange game until we scored the 3rd. Up until that point we had played ok without being anything outstanding, but from the moment the 3rd went in Villa just wilted & we sensed blood, so went for the kill. I just love how ruthless we were and hope that is going to be a theme this season as it was definitely one area where we were a bit lacking at times last season.

49 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Don’t understand the Bruno criticism; watch the highlights back and you’ll see how involved he was 

Hard to take in all that is happening live. But from what i saw he had a few sloppy passes and got caught in possesion a couple of times. Also didnt have any standout moments.

As an average Joe i only take in 10% of what is happening though, so for all i know he could have been vital to our win.