Lewis Hall

Paully

If we sell Hall in 3 years time for £60m then it was a good signing for FFP though. The best way to skirt FFP is to get a bargain and that was the plan with Hall.

When we signed him we had 2 strong first XIs, and even during our injury crisis LB has never really been an issue. Howe absolutely loves Dan Burn, so much so that Targett (a very solid fullback) was almost completely absent even when fully fit. 

Gordon showed some flashes of brilliance and actually played a lot in comparison, though. 

Hall has been here all season and seems further from the first team than he did at the start of it. When everyone was fit. 

Be a shit forum if everyone kept their mouth shut and didn’t speculate or voice any concerns :lol: 

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Strawmanning? Howay man, it's the same aggressively negative stuff all the time. 

Everytime Hall doesn't step on the pitch 'questions need to be answered'. Saying we're not in a position to spend £30m on future talent is speculation.

Like I say, people got hung up on replacing Burn with a tachnical left back this season, but in hindsight that was never the plan.

Apologies due for describing it as ‘straw manning’, I went overboard there.

Not sure that it is speculative to talk about FFP constraints though - they do exist and we are constrained.

I’m not one of those who is negative re BDB mind - I actually think that when everyone is fit I’m perfectly happy for Howe to pick him.  When we’re playing well, he tucks in when Trippier bombs on.  The fitness issues on the left (Joelinton, Willock, Barnes) has meant that the bloke has been a bit more exposed.  I never thought a LB was a priority, though Hall of course can play multiple positions.  At the moment he seems to be the last player selected despite an injury crisis - I get the impression Howe would bring on Ritchie at LB ahead of him. 

Not sure if Hall is a 'Howe' signing or a pure board signing for future ffp investment reasons. Either that or we're playing dirty with clauses on the loan agreement. There's definitely more to it than just footballing reasons. 

That said, I think if he'd blown everyone away like Livramento when he did have the opportunities to play, he'd be playing a lot more than he has regardless of whatever clauses there might be. 

20 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Apologies due for describing it as ‘straw manning’, I went overboard there.

Not sure that it is speculative to talk about FFP constraints though - they do exist and we are constrained.

I’m not one of those who is negative re BDB mind - I actually think that when everyone is fit I’m perfectly happy for Howe to pick him.  When we’re playing well, he tucks in when Trippier bombs on.  The fitness issues on the left (Joelinton, Willock, Barnes) has meant that the bloke has been a bit more exposed.  I never thought a LB was a priority, though Hall of course can play multiple positions.  At the moment he seems to be the last player selected despite an injury crisis - I get the impression Howe would bring on Ritchie at LB ahead of him. 

I mean the FFP constraints are real but it's speculation as to whether we were in a position to spend £30m on an 18 year old for the future. We don't know what the plan is but Howe (or Ashworth) has talked about a clear plan to phase the next line of players in. Signing potentially world class players like Livramento and Hall for £30m isn't a bad idea imo.

There seems to be an idea that we're going after players with a scattergun approach and have left glaring holes in the squad but in reality we've just been really unlucky with injuries (and Tonali's ban).

Edited by Hanshithispantz

When we are bring on the likes of Richie for Hall it has to be something contract related as to why he isn't playing more.  i.e. the timing of when Chelsea have to be paid when he hits the required games or Eddie just isn't quite sure of him so buying his time before triggering it.

42 minutes ago, duo said:

When we are bring on the likes of Richie for Hall it has to be something contract related as to why he isn't playing more.  i.e. the timing of when Chelsea have to be paid when he hits the required games or Eddie just isn't quite sure of him so buying his time before triggering it.

Then it doesnt make sense that he got some minutes in games that we already had won or lost. For the most part its in those games he actually get some game time at all.

Really think its as simple as Howe not trusting him yet.

8 hours ago, Ketsbaia said:

There's been times when Howe would rather make no sub and let his XI run themselves into the ground than bring on Hall.

When Bruno gets his inevitable two-match suspension and we're low on midfielders, Howe will still find a way to not use Hall.

Perhaps he doesn't fancy him in the middle?

A Longstaff - Miley - Hall midfield hardly fills me with confidence like.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Perhaps he doesn't fancy him in the middle?

A Longstaff - Miley - Hall midfield hardly fills me with confidence like.

We are probably going to see it very soon through necessity.

Of all the speculation, the idea that makes the most sense (though who knows!) is that the loan with obligation to buy for £30m (I believe) was tied to appearances. If we (a) didn’t want to  to buy him, or (b) didn’t want to buy him for that, and there was wriggle room to buy for less, if he didn’t meet the required number of appearances, then we might be trying our best to limit his game time. 

If the board wanted him in to turn a profit in the future for ffp howe should be atleast giving him 10 minutes every game. He's went from chelsea bench first team to playing for there u21s to bench and barely a sniff of game time. Howe said himself that he had to get the best out of what he's got to use, and I don't think he is giving the young lad a chance in my opinion. 

32 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's interesting given how little we know about his situation, that fans are choosing to criticise Howe over this than consider it might be a problem on Hall's part. Very telling.

If it's a problem on halls part then why even name him on the bench. Surely some u21 action would benefit him. 

It's a strange one, I was over the moon when we signed him and Tino, with the reports it felt like we had signed England's potential two starting full backs for the next generation, god knows what is going on, Eddie hasn't got any daughters that he might have taken a liking to?, 😆

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

It's interesting given how little we know about his situation, that fans are choosing to criticise Howe over this than consider it might be a problem on Hall's part. Very telling.

I suppose for me. The fact he never gets a look in full stop when we have no players to pick from is concerning.

Regardless of who’s problem it is. If Ritchie is getting minutes ahead of him. Then it is the transfer fee that we supposedly obligated to pay that becomes an issue IMO.

If a man that was finished at this level 3-4 years ago and can’t actually sprint these days. Can get game time ahead of Hall. Then how in the fuck is he worth that much? It is certainly money that could have been invested elsewhere. 

Richie has hundreds of Premier League games and has worked with Howe for years though. He'll know exactly what's expected of him when he comes on.

Gordon, despite the weird abuse, looked pretty great in some cameos last year but Howe wasn't happy with him tactically and physically from what we've been told, so he rarely played.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

I suppose for me. The fact he never gets a look in full stop when we have no players to pick from is concerning.

Regardless of who’s problem it is. If Ritchie is getting minutes ahead of him. Then it is the transfer fee that we supposedly obligated to pay that becomes an issue IMO.

If a man that was finished at this level 3-4 years ago and can’t actually sprint these days. Can get game time ahead of Hall. Then how in the fuck is he worth that much? It is certainly money that could have been invested elsewhere. 

It's strange for sure, but if we are indeed obligated to pay for him in the summer, I'm confident there will be a plan for his long term development and pathway into the first team, it might just be longer than we'd have liked.

Edited by The Prophet

So whats happening with Hall - is he homesick or dealing with something in his personal life, crap on the training ground or what?

Or is it a certain number of appearences that activate the transfer to us?

Its weird

16 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Why would that make a difference?

If there’s something in the deal that means if he hits a certain amount of games we have to sign him. It might activate this window. Waiting until after means it would be the summer. 

im just guessing obviously.  However.

If you want to understand what's happening with Lewis Hall look no further than a diminutive Scot who's never wished anybody harm, and is now kicking up a storm on the south coast for Southampton. Yes I'm talking about Ryan Fraser, who once had the temerity to try on a pair of boots half a size too large and was ruthlessly punished for it. This iteration of Eddie Howe at least seems to need a leper, a pariah, an outcast who the other players can look at and say 'there but for the grace of God', and after spurning 'the Scottish Messi' it turns out Lewis Hall was next on the chopping block. He's a mild-mannered lad who gives it his all, but nothing he does is ever good enough, and he gets no minutes and no chances as a sort of perennial kick up the backside of the other players.

17 minutes ago, Gottlob said:

If you want to understand what's happening with Lewis Hall look no further than a diminutive Scot who's never wished anybody harm, and is now kicking up a storm on the south coast for Southampton. Yes I'm talking about Ryan Fraser, who once had the temerity to try on a pair of boots half a size too large and was ruthlessly punished for it. This iteration of Eddie Howe at least seems to need a leper, a pariah, an outcast who the other players can look at and say 'there but for the grace of God', and after spurning 'the Scottish Messi' it turns out Lewis Hall was next on the chopping block. He's a mild-mannered lad who gives it his all, but nothing he does is ever good enough, and he gets no minutes and no chances as a sort of perennial kick up the backside of the other players.

Worrying.