Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool (27/08/23)

Yorkie

6 hours ago, TRon said:

I didn't think it was a red card on first viewing, and was convinced it would be overturned, but after watching it a couple of times I don't think the ref had much choice. Isak did get his ankles clipped, and he was through on goal. Knowing him he'd have scored as well.

Same.  Real time I thought it was the standard piece of casual defending from VVD, where he nicks the ball away and they'd overturn it.  He quite clearly smashes through Isak to get to the ball.  I don't even think it's up for debate, as he was clean through on goal, if not.  

Shame he got sent off, in hindsight.  They would have had plenty of chances, of course.  But 11 v 11, we were getting a lot of space and looked dangerous.  

On 27/08/2023 at 19:23, Ronaldo said:

Check my posts after Villa. But that genuinely was the worst second half performance I’ve seen from us in a long time and there’s no excuse for it given the position we were in. 

Just checked. 5 posts vs 15 and counting. Not being the post police or owt obviously, just saying that the theory probably holds up.  

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Just checked. 5 posts vs 15 and counting. Not being the post police or owt obviously, just saying that the theory probably holds up.  

I mean, there’s probably a lot more to discuss / dissect with losing to 10 men when 1-0 up than beating Villa 5-1 at home, dude. [emoji38]

3 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I think because it was such a hyped up game, they did us over twice last season, Klopp is a wanker and the manner in which we got beat that made everyone absolutely raging - there's been a fair amount of over reaction. 

We weren't great second half, but we dominated most of the game. Even before the sending off we looked better. We created more chances throughout but they did well to stay in it and they nicked it. First goal was a brilliant finish by Nunez. The second was woeful from us, Bruno giving it away when the easy pass to Targett was on and then Burn caught flat footed. Going back to last season - Bruno had a habit of getting caught in compromising positions, was bound to be punished some time. Unfortunately it was in the worst possible way. 

I can see why the changes were made by Howe. Barnes is a 30m player and Longstaff was crucial last season. We've got a squad now, we cant whinge when players are brought on. I had no issue with the changes at the time. Wilson can hardly be blamed either. 

I dont have an issue with Howe's tactics. The problem was a failure to take chances. Its that final ball/composure/bit of quality that sets apart good players from top players. Now, Gordon had a good game, but im not convinced about his ability to take chances. Barnes looked ponderous (and wasted a similar opportunity V Villa). Almiron has little composure. Do these players have that quality to take us to the next level? We'll see. 70M spent on Gordon and Barnes - we need to see returns in crucial moments. Early days yet, but we'll see. 

It stings but I'm not concerned.  

Agree with most of this but definitely the bit about the Gordon sub. He looked like was starting to blow a bit and it's not unreasonable for Howe to expect a £30m winger to carry on doing what Gordon was doing which is basically running past a player who struggles defensively at tue best of times and was shit scared to put a tackle in as he knew if he got it wrong he would he off. "Ponderous" is a great description of the chance he messed up. Seemed like he was waiting for Wilson's permission to shoot (something which is never going to happen :lol:) whereas if he pins his ears back and runs in on goal himself he's in.

It's easy to criticise the sub with the benefit of hindsight, but I could see the logic at the time.

This is why nobody likes these weird sadsack cunts. Rather than revelling in a gutsy performance against the odds to grab victory from the jaws of defeat they would rather whinge on about imaginary injustices (ignoring everything that went their way) and wallow in playing the victims for the sake of it. What's the point in that??

Screenshot_20230829_190203_X.jpg

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Don't think I'll ever watch the highlights of this game.

At least we all care again though right?

Still never seen Carvalho’s goal from last season and never will. 

First time I’ve seen the Carabao goals back was in the Amazon doc. 

With ASM we would never lose, any game that we lose would be perfect for ASM and we would win them with him in the team. We saw that last season when he scored 1 goal.

Edited by Erikse

Can’t remember fall out from a game like this has been in a long, long time. I know it’s become a bit of a joke but it’s good that so many are so invested again but folk, across the board, are going to lose their minds if they keep up with this level of hyperbole if it continues at this level. 

Ex-refs as pundits is a terrible idea. 

It totally undermines the current officials. Being a ref is not an exact science. You laws are set in stone but the situations you apply them to are nuanced and don’t overlap exactly. 

Having some whopper like Clattenburg disagreeing is just rage bait.  

It’s embarrassing to see Liverpool fans argue this. He literally told the fourth official to fuck off, and their manager doubled down after the fact. God some of their fans are insufferable. 

2 hours ago, Viana said:

Ex-refs as pundits is a terrible idea. 

It totally undermines the current officials. Being a ref is not an exact science. You laws are set in stone but the situations you apply them to are nuanced and don’t overlap exactly. 

Having some whopper like Clattenburg disagreeing is just rage bait.  

It’s embarrassing to see Liverpool fans argue this. He literally told the fourth official to fuck off, and their manager doubled down after the fact. God some of their fans are insufferable. 

100%. The refs have a very tough job and they will make mistakes, the idea that you can basically attempt to bully them is endemic at some clubs - Liverpool & Arsenal two of the worst offenders but my no means the only ones.

As I said on the previous page football is seemingly the only elite sport where people seem to feel it’s acceptable for the players to abuse the match officials. 

The ref has authority on the pitch and makes the decision and people need to accept that. People want certainty in the world of subjectivity and all VAR had done for the most part is allowed us to disagree in more minute detail. 

The arguing over the VVD red is mystifying it’s as clear red as I’ve seen, I’d like to believe I wouldn’t be complaining about it if it had been Schar or Botman. 

Refs are in shit situation with these new rules. Like, they cannot supervise the technical area rule 100% like it was first advertised, and same goes for waving the imaginary yellow card. They have to use common sense also.

Edited by KingArthur

19 hours ago, leffe186 said:

Well you can’t both be right :lol:

Finally got to watch the game yesterday. I thought you did OK in general but like you all say, you didn’t have to confidence to really go for it when they were down. Still, there were those couple of moments when a bit of luck could have gone your way but didn’t (mainly the Alisson save and the post) and it did go Liverpool’s way (Botman getting tangled up and happening to put the perfect ball through). You do need a bit/lot of luck to survive with 10 men at this level regardless of what you do.

But what you do is still extremely important. I do think it was a Klopp masterclass, reminiscent of Hoddle’s for England against Argentina. It’s key that he’s been there for years now and even though the squad is in transition he’s been working with most of them for a long time in a lot of situations. A few of you have pointed out specific situations that you could have taken advantage of but didn’t (E.g. TAA’s booking) but others pointed out the ways in which Klopp - on the fly - worked to nullify them. I think Howe’s relative lack of flexibility was exposed, perhaps most obviously with the substitutions. He’s still only been there a couple of years and is still building his squad - there's plenty of time for him to develop that. The underlying question is - at this level, with higher expectations (and maybe the first loss of momentum) - can he respond?

I will say one thing though. After reading the match thread I was expecting the red card to be considerably more clear-cut than it was. And I suspect I hate Liverpool more than nearly everyone else on this board :lol:

What wasnt clear cut with the red card? That is was a foul or that it would have been a clear goal scoring oppurtunity if he hadnt been fouled?

Both seem obvious to me.

38 minutes ago, Displayname said:

What wasnt clear cut with the red card? That is was a foul or that it would have been a clear goal scoring oppurtunity if he hadnt been fouled?

Both seem obvious to me.

I thought it was only a red if the referee determines if the player makes no effort to win the ball and he's deliberately taken out the player whilst through on goal. I was half cut at the time and I aint watching the highlights again, but I thought VVD make a genuine effort to win the ball and was only pipped to it by Isak.

The 2nd yellow for TAA however, the ref bottled that big style. Didn't want to make such a big call so early on.

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

I thought it was only a red if the referee determines if the player makes no effort to win the ball and he's deliberately taken out the player whilst through on goal. I was half cut at the time and I aint watching the highlights again, but I thought VVD make a genuine effort to win the ball and was only pipped to it by Isak.

The 2nd yellow for TAA however, the ref bottled that big style. Didn't want to make such a big call so early on.

That is only if its a pen.

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

I'd say 90% of fouls are genuine efforts to win the ball, though. He went for it, fouled Isak who had a good chance of running through on goal, red card all day for me.