Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool (27/08/23)

Yorkie

I don't know if it has been discussed as I wasn't able to follow the match thread yesterday, but did anyone else find it disappointing that we allowed Nunez to get that much space on the left shoulder twice in succession for him to run on goal? Granted he got a lucky bounce for the first one, but still it was a bit risky committing so many forward when they were down to 10 men and basically praying we would do exactly that. Seems like we didn't learn much from last season's  game at our place.

Right, I've seen very little reasoned response to yesterday's game, so I will attempt it...

Firstly, let's remember where we have come and where we are going. Should we have beaten Liverpool yesterday? yes, could we have? yes. We dominated the game, even before the 10 men. We had seen out the early fight in the first 10 minutes and taken the game to them mainly through Gordon and Miggy.

Once we were ahead, we could have easily been 2 or 3 up, likewise they could have got a goal themselves. We were the better side though......

However, we weren't playing a Brighton or a Villa, we were playing Liverpool. What I mean by this, is that not only were they arguably the best side in the world two years ago but they are also the one club who fights to the bitter end, lives for a great escape and has experience of playing in hostile atmospheres. They were never bothered by the noise, the flags, the occasion etc. Like it or not, you don't win 6 CL trophies by being afraid of away grounds. We need to learn this.

The reason I mention this, is because there was a severe lack of game management, especially once we were winning the game. The reason Klopp hates us, is because that's what we are good at; slowing the game down, professional fouls, winding their players up etc. Once we were winning, we stopped all that and IMO that's what has killed us.

We showed last season that at the very high level, sides have incredible threat, even a man down.

We can criticise Howes substitutes but why shouldn't he expect Longstaff to replace Tonalis running or Barnes to offer a similar threat to Gordon? It was only two games ago that many of us had them two starting versus Villa.

For me, the main critique is our clear lack of understanding of trying to see out the 3 points. We didn't need to go chasing the game. We had the game. How was there so much space in behind? These are much bigger questions than the substitutes.

If we are being honest, we do really have to look at Isak and asked why he couldn't get into the game. Wilson will start vs Brighton. We also need to ask why Bruno gets caught out once every game.... especially at a time when we needed a calm head on the ball (who better than Bruno?)

My advice would be don't go being critical of Burn or Miggy when Isak was missing or Bruno cost us a goal. You can't just look after your favourites.

On the bright side, we did dominate Liverpool and we were OK away at City. We also have a gem in Gordon and bundles of talent on the bench to arrest any future problems.

A very bad day at the office, but it's fine margins in high quality games. We need to remember how to manage games again. It's time we stopped making Liverpool the enemy, we were our own enemy yesterday.

1 hour ago, 5th Place FC said:

I used to like Newcastle. Blood money has changed the club to another Chelsea. Yesterday was one of the most enjoyable wins for a long long time. Newcastle’s best team for half a century, we are about 4 players short of a good squad and we go to your fake plastic ground and beat you with ten men hahahaha. Tindall is the biggest pr1ck in football, seeing him trying to shush klopp and then klopp buzzing off him when we went 2-1 up was a truly brilliant brilliant moment. Absolute no-mark he is. Fact is, no matter how much Saudi blood money you spend, you will never ever be a club if the stature of liverpool despite how much you all want it.

Love you all. 

Interesting.

You wanted Dubai international capital (state funded) in when you had hicks and Gillett

Yous also wanted Chinese evergreen in (state backed) not long after. 

You invited the Saudi royal family to anfield in 2017 

You have academies in Saudi Arabia and your youth teams participate there every year in state funded tournaments.

You've just took a whopping amount of transfer fees off the PIF owned clubs (that's Saudi blood money) into your coffers allowing you to spunk it all over the shop. 

Your manager is a total cunt and behaves like a child and then you call one of our staff for reacting to it. 

Hypocrisy. 

Cockend x

2 hours ago, 5th Place FC said:

I used to like Newcastle. Blood money has changed the club to another Chelsea. Yesterday was one of the most enjoyable wins for a long long time. Newcastle’s best team for half a century, we are about 4 players short of a good squad and we go to your fake plastic ground and beat you with ten men hahahaha. Tindall is the biggest pr1ck in football, seeing him trying to shush klopp and then klopp buzzing off him when we went 2-1 up was a truly brilliant brilliant moment. Absolute no-mark he is. Fact is, no matter how much Saudi blood money you spend, you will never ever be a club if the stature of liverpool despite how much you all want it.

Love you all. 

the sun was right.

I would take seeing the scousers coming here fishing as a compliment. Under Ashley - they would never have bothered, because that version of Newcastle wasn't a threat. This one very much is and will be in the years to come. They are worried - make no mistake. :thup:

We might have lot a battle yesterday, but we are very much going to be in the war.

Just now, Interpolic said:

Liverpool fan used to like us when we rolled over for them twice a season and didn't threaten the CL places. Shocker. 

Spot on. Have to be a right cunt to join another forum to gloat. They are proper rattled by us.

28 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

No need for this at all.

Take it to Twitter if you want to get involved in comments like that.

I don’t understand the reference, what cos the Sun say?

Edit- nevermind

Edited by Gawalls

I can’t think of anything that means less to me than the respect of Liverpool fans. They have a scummy fanbase that is by far the worst behaved in the premier league. Their record is horrific.

Yep we were ten minutes from a forum full of positives and the team being praised for a professional performance.

However much like the Brighton.vWest Ham game... Goals win games no matter how many passes or chances you create.

And to give him his praise... I don't think any other striker on the pitch would have scored those goals.

Sometimes football just punishes you