Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool (27/08/23)

Yorkie

32 minutes ago, Conjo said:

It could be a defining moment for Nunez and Liverpool. Our bench was arguably stronger than Liverpools.

I don't think so. Nunez played a worldie against us last year and still was benched. He's very hit and miss. He just hits against us. 

32 minutes ago, Lish007 said:

I don't think so. Nunez played a worldie against us last year and still was benched. He's very hit and miss. He just hits against us. 

Our new Poyet 😆

1 hour ago, Lish007 said:

...I don't think it's a Klopp masterclass - he's just got incredibly talented players to bring on. And one day, we will too.

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

It could be a defining moment for Nunez and Liverpool. Our bench was arguably stronger than Liverpools.

Well you can’t both be right :lol:

Finally got to watch the game yesterday. I thought you did OK in general but like you all say, you didn’t have to confidence to really go for it when they were down. Still, there were those couple of moments when a bit of luck could have gone your way but didn’t (mainly the Alisson save and the post) and it did go Liverpool’s way (Botman getting tangled up and happening to put the perfect ball through). You do need a bit/lot of luck to survive with 10 men at this level regardless of what you do.

But what you do is still extremely important. I do think it was a Klopp masterclass, reminiscent of Hoddle’s for England against Argentina. It’s key that he’s been there for years now and even though the squad is in transition he’s been working with most of them for a long time in a lot of situations. A few of you have pointed out specific situations that you could have taken advantage of but didn’t (E.g. TAA’s booking) but others pointed out the ways in which Klopp - on the fly - worked to nullify them. I think Howe’s relative lack of flexibility was exposed, perhaps most obviously with the substitutions. He’s still only been there a couple of years and is still building his squad - there's plenty of time for him to develop that. The underlying question is - at this level, with higher expectations (and maybe the first loss of momentum) - can he respond?

I will say one thing though. After reading the match thread I was expecting the red card to be considerably more clear-cut than it was. And I suspect I hate Liverpool more than nearly everyone else on this board :lol:

7 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Finally got to watch the game yesterday. I thought you did OK in general but like you all say, you didn’t have to confidence to really go for it when they were down. Still, there were those couple of moments when a bit of luck could have gone your way but didn’t (mainly the Alisson save and the post) and it did go Liverpool’s way (Botman getting tangled up and happening to put the perfect ball through). You do need a bit/lot of luck to survive with 10 men at this level regardless of what you do.

But what you do is still extremely important. I do think it was a Klopp masterclass, reminiscent of Hoddle’s for England against Argentina. It’s key that he’s been there for years now and even though the squad is in transition he’s been working with most of them for a long time in a lot of situations. A few of you have pointed out specific situations that you could have taken advantage of but didn’t (E.g. TAA’s booking) but others pointed out the ways in which Klopp - on the fly - worked to nullify them. I think Howe’s relative lack of flexibility was exposed, perhaps most obviously with the substitutions. He’s still only been there a couple of years and is still building his squad - there's plenty of time for him to develop that. The underlying question is - at this level, with higher expectations (and maybe the first loss of momentum) - can he respond?

I will say one thing though. After reading the match thread I was expecting the red card to be considerably more clear-cut than it was. And I suspect I hate Liverpool more than nearly everyone else on this board :lol:

Haha. Well considering they brought on their most expensive striker, I'd say I was right. 

Of course I think Klopp is a great manager (but just a horrible man really), but I do disagree it was a masterclass. But maybe you're right with him knowing his players better and working with them for a long time. It does help. I just think he lucked out. 

If those 2 shots that hit the bar go in, we are not talking about a Klopp masterclass, we are talking about a domination. 

But yes, small margins. 

55 minutes ago, Lish007 said:

I would love to believe that, but Nunez was a hot property last summer and it was a pleasant surprise when he had a poor first season. But the way he took the goals, and his relative pedigree prior to moving to Liverpool makes me think he might come good this season. This will give him a major confidence boost for sure. Not that he ever looks short of confidence.

22 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

I didn't think it was a red card on first viewing, and was convinced it would be overturned, but after watching it a couple of times I don't think the ref had much choice. Isak did get his ankles clipped, and he was through on goal. Knowing him he'd have scored as well.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

I would love to believe that, but Nunez was a hot property last summer and it was a pleasant surprise when he had a poor first season. But the way he took the goals, and his relative pedigree prior to moving to Liverpool makes me think he might come good this season. This will give him a major confidence boost for sure. Not that he ever looks short of confidence.

True. But I keep seeing this being said and you think "this is when he will go on a run" and then it never materialises. Perhaps the fact he's full of confidence all the time actually goes against him! 

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

I didn't think it was a red card on first viewing, and was convinced it would be overturned, but after watching it a couple of times I don't think the ref had much choice. Isak did get his ankles clipped, and he was through on goal. Knowing him he'd have scored as well.

In hindsight, you wish that VVD had stayed on the pitch and let Isak shoot and maybe score.  

Weirdly, VVD won them the game!

1 minute ago, Lish007 said:

True. But I keep seeing this being said and you think "this is when he will go on a run" and then it never materialises. Perhaps the fact he's full of confidence all the time actually goes against him! 

If he'd done the crying eyes celebration I'd be wanting Lascelles on the pitch to spark him out.

Don't know if the point has been made but it's easy to forget because it was earlier in the weekend that Arsenal were 2-1 up at home to Fulham, who also had ten men, with three minutes of normal time to play - they also blew the three points and only a very good save from Ramsdale stopped Traore winning it for Fulham. 

24 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Núñez has been wildly over hated, he’s a good player. I think he will score quite a few this season 

I don't think he's not a good player, he's very very good. Whether it's shot accuracy or his confidence I don't know, but he blows hot and cold for goals. His impact on Sunday was probably his best moment in a Liverpool shirt to date. 

Maybe he's just unlucky like us and like us, he should have more goals relative to his goal expected rating etc etc. 

5 minutes ago, Lish007 said:

I don't think he's not a good player, he's very very good. Whether it's shot accuracy or his confidence I don't know, but he blows hot and cold for goals. His impact on Sunday was probably his best moment in a Liverpool shirt to date. 

Maybe he's just unlucky like us and like us, he should have more goals relative to his goal expected rating etc etc. 

I don't think he will ever be at the level of a Torres, Suarez or a Salah but I think he is one of many good options for Liverpool.

I was actually more worried about Jota coming on with his trickery and touch but it worked out the other way.

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

It couldn't have been more clearcut? He clatters into his right ankle if you need that pointed out you definitely don't understand football?

8 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Still fuming at this result [emoji38]

Fucking Klopp, the cunt.

Tbf he was surprisingly humble in the post-match interview. Also referenced us being the better side after going down to 10 men against them last season explaining it isn't always easy to play against.

Still a miserable cunt generally speaking.

I think because it was such a hyped up game, they did us over twice last season, Klopp is a wanker and the manner in which we got beat that made everyone absolutely raging - there's been a fair amount of over reaction. 

We weren't great second half, but we dominated most of the game. Even before the sending off we looked better. We created more chances throughout but they did well to stay in it and they nicked it. First goal was a brilliant finish by Nunez. The second was woeful from us, Bruno giving it away when the easy pass to Targett was on and then Burn caught flat footed. Going back to last season - Bruno had a habit of getting caught in compromising positions, was bound to be punished some time. Unfortunately it was in the worst possible way. 

I can see why the changes were made by Howe. Barnes is a 30m player and Longstaff was crucial last season. We've got a squad now, we cant whinge when players are brought on. I had no issue with the changes at the time. Wilson can hardly be blamed either. 

I dont have an issue with Howe's tactics. The problem was a failure to take chances. Its that final ball/composure/bit of quality that sets apart good players from top players. Now, Gordon had a good game, but im not convinced about his ability to take chances. Barnes looked ponderous (and wasted a similar opportunity V Villa). Almiron has little composure. Do these players have that quality to take us to the next level? We'll see. 70M spent on Gordon and Barnes - we need to see returns in crucial moments. Early days yet, but we'll see. 

It stings but I'm not concerned.  

I was in Newcastle (couldn’t get a ticket, again) but decided to watch the match in town. I was doubly gutted. But I’m over it now, personally. Fair play to them. Two great finishes and they managed the game very well. Another day it could have been a juicy memorable 3-0 to us. That’s football folks. 
That said I’d be desperate to beat them at Anfield!

(nice thing is, we just might…). 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

4 hours ago, Conjo said:

Tbf he was surprisingly humble in the post-match interview. Also referenced us being the better side after going down to 10 men against them last season explaining it isn't always easy to play against.

Still a miserable cunt generally speaking.

He's definetly a bad loser, but atleast he's not a bad winner. That would've been even worse.

5 minutes ago, Joe1984 said:

VVD charged with improper conduct to the ref. Cue the German to start moaning about agendas against them! :D

And so he should. Football is the only elite level sport where it’s people seem to think it’s acceptable to abuse the match officials. They get stuff wrong but have no issues with the FA taking action like this.