Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool (27/08/23)

Yorkie

Just now, Gallowgate Toon said:

This happened a few times before the goals as well. Led to a series of corners.

It's like we got caught between 2 styles. Not gung go and blast them but rather slow but still high enough to expose our backline when we made cheap turnovers.

Agreed 

Losing against Man City didn't bother me, it wasn't that I expected it, I thought it was a decent enough game and the best team won on the day, adding in to that that Pep seems like a nice enough bloke. But losing against the media darling Scouse scumbags with their shitty players and tooth grinding arsehole of a manager, I fucking hate them, utterly hate them. I don't think there's a more fluky team that gets more help from the officials than them or has a more biased commentary following.

How the fuck did we lose to that shower of shite today? Proper pissed off by this result.

I've calmed down a bit after the initial gut punch.

If Almiron buries any of his chances or Barnes sends Wilson through, we probably aren't having this discussion, but here we are.

The second half was very odd, we looked caught in two minds between protecting the lead and killing the game, but ended up doing neither.

Liverpool managed the game expertly with ten, but we gave them far too much respect. Both Nunez finishes were superb, but came from individual errors from first Botman, then Burn, completely switching off.

Overall very frustrating. We've thrown away three points against ten men, after having ample chances to kill it off. Of all the teams to end up being are bogey team did it have to be them...

On a more positive note, Trippier, Bruno, Tonali and Gordon very good, the latter looked cooked when he came off.

5 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Our mentality in the last two games has been poor.

Against City, the scoreline was deceiving, we were uncompetitive throughout the whole game. Organised but without any belief we could exert pressure on the opposition. Our only retort to City was the sheer stubbornness of the back four.

Today, we were complacent on and off the ball. We actually seem worse the more of the ball we have, evident lack of composure in midfield. Liverpool losing a man seemed to actually hurt us. 

Totally agree mate.

Yes a 1 nil loss to city is by no means a bad result....but people ignore the fact we played far more better (or to use your words far more competitively) the year before and harshly lost 2-0.

Today, after the sending off, the competitive edge completely disappeared. The hunger and desire was traded for false security in the fact we were going to see the game out 

Edited by Pancrate1892
Spelling

4 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

Liverpool an official bogey team now and it’s fucking infuriating.

They're such a dislikable team as well, Klopp is a spiteful misogynist goblin, they dive, cheat and timewaste and their fans are only second to Chelsea in the Premier League in terms of being absolute arseholes.

We are lacking players who move to pockets and like to receive the ball between lines. Isak comes deep to collect sometimes, but it makes us predictable to play. Andersson wanted for the ball when he came on, but others are just hiding. Tonali and Bruno deep and Joelinton not showing for the ball or not calm with it.

4 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

We are lacking players who move to pockets and like to receive the ball between lines. Isak comes deep to collect sometimes, but it makes us predictable to play. Andersson wanted for the ball when he came on, but others are just hiding. Tonali and Bruno deep and Joelinton not showing for the ball or not calm with it.

We miss willock a lot Imo, but I think we lack a real creative passer 

Just now, Numbers said:

I dont think "We were excellent" is a fair assessment at all.

He said for long spells of the game. And he was right. An hour of that 90 mins we were on top, leading, creating lots of chances and dominating possession. 

I’ll be interested to see how our midfield develops this season, we’re missing Willock a lot, in my opinion.

We devoured Villa second half, but they looked punch-drunk by a combination of Mings’ injury and the self-inflicted kamikaze of a high-line.

The current midfield structure is missing some qualities for me. I wonder if a genuine defensive midfielder could have enabled us to be a bit more flexible in how we adapt in-game. 

Just now, hakka said:

He said for long spells of the game. And he was right. An hour of that 90 mins we were on top, leading, creating lots of chances and dominating possession. 

Were we though? I don't remember a clear cut chance we created. Closest we came to scoring outside of the actual goal which Liverpool created for us was Almirón taking it by the scruff of the neck and hitting the post.

6 minutes ago, GlenMag said:

At least all our new supporters know now what it's like to be a Newcastle fan.

I think we'd have won that game if it stayed 11v11

That plus some of our non-new fans seem to have forgotten how to take defeats at a growing club perhaps too.

Which is why I'm not vexxed. Been kicked in the balls that much like this but not always with the knowledge were going places and getting better all the time.

Third home game of 96/97 we lost 2-1 to Sheffield Wed for a second defeat (to two shit teams) in three games. Finished 2nd. No cause for bed wetting then much less now, pisser though it is.

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 minute ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I’ll be interested to see how our midfield develops this season, we’re missing Willock a lot, in my opinion.

We devoured Villa second half, but they looked punch-drunk by a combination of Mings’ injury and the self-inflicted kamikaze of a high-line.

The current midfield structure is missing some qualities for me. I wonder if a genuine defensive midfielder could have enabled us to be a bit more flexible in how we adapt in-game. 

It’s a very samey midfield for me, it lacks a lot of creativity 

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Were we though? I don't remember a clear cut chance we created. Closest we came to scoring outside of the actual goal which Liverpool created for us was Almirón taking it by the scruff of the neck and hitting the post.

Almiron had three big, but we didnt put enough pressure on them for large spells.