League Cup 3rd Round Draw - NUFC v Man City on 27/09 @ 8pm (live on Sky)

2 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Bare in mind there's not a cat in hells chance we play our first team.

we will because the fixtures at at time actually are beneficial towards playing the fringe players at the weekend

4 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Bare in mind there's not a cat in hells chance we play our first team.

If we get a good result away to Sheffield our next game is Burnley at home, we could afford to play a very strong team with good rotation in those games. I can't see Eddie and co taking this cup lightly after last seasons journey in it. We'll see I suppose but I still think we can do it. I hate the idea that we're to think we're beaten before a ball is kicked, although that might change tomorrow if we've to play away to Real Madrid. :lol: 

Edited by Decky

24 minutes ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

Man Utd have been drawn at home 9 out of their last 10 FA Cup Draws, and 5 out of their last 6 Carabao Cup draws.

Chances of that happening randomly are 0.18%.

Any particular combination of draws over the course of 16 ties is of low probability. 

Edited by Superior Acuña

2 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Any particular combination of draws over the course of 16 ties is of miniscule probability. 

Not really.

An equilibrium between the two is the most probable. So 8 home and 8 away is around 19%.

The more "extreme" it gets in any one direction, the probability drops off significantly.

11 minutes ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

Not really.

An equilibrium between the two is the most probable. So 8 home and 8 away is around 19%.

The more "extreme" it gets in any one direction, the probability drops off significantly.

Sorry yes you're right that taking all combinations. My point is that I don't think it's suspicious given the many draws across the teams that a team has a low probability run over a few years.

Edited by Superior Acuña

6 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Sorry yes you're right that taking all combinations. My point is that it's not suspicious though, if that's what you were implying. 

Glad we both tasted Wembley in February mate :lol:  

6 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Glad we both tasted Wembley in February mate :lol:  

I'll be honest, part of me will be relieved if we don't make another final for a few years. I'm going to be a financial wreck if we're getting to them regularly while I'm living in North America. 

4 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

Oh well so be it getting knocked out by you guys..

Well, the league cup circa 2014, is the  only time I’ve seen us beat you (in your new guise…) much to the distress of my City supporting son (who was with me aged about 5). So I’m going for same result again. 2-0 (no, not to the away team this time!) 

20 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Well, the league cup circa 2014, is the  only time I’ve seen us beat you (in your new guise…) much to the distress of my City supporting son (who was with me aged about 5). So I’m going for same result again. 2-0 (no, not to the away team this time!) 

I vaguely remember the game, think sissoko scored for you guys.

btw how comes your son supports the sky blues ?

1 minute ago, Maineblue said:

I vaguely remember the game, think sissoko scored for you guys.

btw how comes your son supports the sky blues ?

His home town team; and all the outlaws’ influence . Newcastle are supposed to be his ‘second team’ (took him to SJP a few times when he was little) though you wouldn’t know it; unless we’re playing Man Utd. 

Didn’t realise so many would be down about this one.  Your best chance of beating Man City is now, not in the later stages when they take it seriously.

That’s not to say that they’ll roll over or owt, but it is a home draw.  If we get last them then at least Man City & Spurs are already gone. 

It's hard to explain, but I think we've reached a point where to move forward, we need more competitive games against hard opposition to learn how to play hard opposition on equal or near-equal terms. I suspect this was a problem against Liverpool at the weekend. Aside from the revenue, getting into the CL so early in the project should be a great experience for the lads in this regard.

In this Carabao cup game, City will not be at anything like full strength, but they will still be playing City style football and Pep will be calling the shots and managing the game. They'll be more to gain from this experience than we'd get playing a Mansfield low block.

Edited by Stottie

4 hours ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Cup game, at home! Let's have a fucking go! They only beat us 1-0 at their gaff. It's not a foregone conclusion.

Will we be successful? I’ll let you judge that when I tell you that we once got beat by only 1-0 - by a little-known Mancunian outfit called Citeh.