Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 Newcastle United (02/09/23)

Yorkie

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

I think a few need to calm down a bit.  We lost away to a really good side - it’s nowhere near panic stations yet.  Unless of course you’re expecting us to challenge for the title, in which case panic away you delusional knacker

For me its the performances and that no fucking lessons has been learned. Thats what pisses me off. We like all other teams will lose games, its a competitive league. But the manner that we have done it and not actually learned from it and with todays all switched off everywhere on the pitch playstyle. It does make at least me boil.

1 minute ago, Decky said:

We’ve played 4 games and lost 3 and you’re having a go at people for being annoyed, and doing it while the 3rd defeat was still happening. We all support the same team give people a break. 

Bro ... I really was not having a go at anyone.

Just sharing my own perspective on things. Just like they are.

Having a go would be telling them to shut up or F off.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m not even that angry tbh, I’ve come to appreciate what a miracle last season was and always viewed this season as being really difficult. It almost feels a bit transitional. I just hope Howe is given time from fans and the owners.

good post.

played 4 of last seasons top 7.  

no crisis like talksport are trying to drum up.  a crisis is chelsea.....a billion spent........

I think a few need to calm down a bit.  We lost away to a really good side - it’s nowhere near panic stations yet.  Unless of course you’re expecting us to challenge for the title, in which case panic away you delusional knacker

I am not panicking just disappointed as to how bad we were. You cannot use the excuse that Brighton are a good side, we weren't at the races.  Brighton didn't even play that well - they beat us playing in 2nd gear.

Just now, Jaqen said:

We are a side that is ultimately lacking in quality and relies on being very well drilled and intensity opponents can't cope with. 

As soon as there's even a small drop off our weaknesses are exposed. The other top sides can afford to have games where they're maybe playing at 60/70% and get bailed out by their quality in attack. 

Fortunately we have a good run after the international break and a chance to build up some momentum. There's so much to learn from what went wrong in the last three games and I'm confident Eddie will be able to address it. 

100%.  Look at our starting XI - a lot of that side need coached and drilled into being top performers.  Isak, Bruno, Trippier and Tonali are the only ones who a top six side would contemplate buying for their first XI.

We’re still early into a rebuild. Patience is necessary. 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Nope, that was truly abject

1 minute ago, worthy said:

For me it’s the performances and that no fucking lessons has been learned. Thats what pisses me off. We like all other teams will lose games, it’s a competitive league. But the manner that we have done it and not actually learned from it and with todays all switched off everywhere on the pitch playstyle. It does make at least me boil.

Same, of course you lose games but you could even see in the villa game the midfield had a problem imo. Villa were just really really bad 

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m not even that angry tbh, I’ve come to appreciate what a miracle last season was and always viewed this season as being really difficult. It almost feels a bit transitional. I just hope Howe is given time from fans and the owners.

Amen man. This is exactly where I'm at. Last season was outrageous. It didn't even make sense.

This season is going to be the most difficult because of what we achieved last season and what people now expect us to do this season.

I would not want to be Eddie Howe at all this year. God help him.

Edited by KaKa

100%.  Look at our starting XI - a lot of that side need coached and drilled into being top performers.  Isak, Bruno, Trippier and Tonali are the only ones who a top six side would contemplate buying for their first XI.

We’re still early into a rebuild. Patience is necessary. 

Come on - we've a better 11 than Brighton.  You can use that excuse against, City, Liverpool, etc.  Not Brighton. 

1 minute ago, WinstonFC said:

Why's Tonali gettin hooked after 60mins in games. Surely cant be that unfit??? 

The way he wandered after his own shit clearance in the lead up to the first goal he could have convinced me.

Just now, KaKa said:

Amen man. This is exactly where I'm at. Last season was outrageous. It didn't even make sense.

This season is going to be the most difficult because if what we achieved last season and what people now expect is to do this season.

I would not want to be Eddie Howe at all this year. God help him.

It's not the fact we lost that is disappointing it's how poor we were.  This is Brighton - people are giving them far too much respect.  I'd expect us to at least have a go.

First time in forever I actually welcome the international break if only to give Joelinton time to properly recover from something that is clearly affecting his performances this season and to hopefully see Willock available on the bench at least.

Pope should not be allowed to touch the ball with his hands for the next two weeks so he is a bit more comfortable with the ball at his feet going forward. :lol:

I also hope we can see improvement in:

- how our three midfielders moves both with and without the ball

- how we collectively press as a team rather than one and one player at a time

- how we play the ball out of defence so we don't get caught in the press and forces us to hoof the ball up towards an isolated striker

- how we make Tripper more available to contribute offensively (and maybe see some of Livramento & Hall)

3 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

City and Brighton brought their A games like. It’s the Liverpool one that’s still fucking bugging me 

At the same time, not sure how our "intensity is our identity" mantra is going to work against the best teams if they can pass around our press so easily. The balance of the midfield doesn't look right, we just couldn't get close to either side.

For me - Bruno and Big Jo look off the pace. Loss of form maybe? Was just so dis-jointed and plodding today and that's what's surprising, because it's not us. Probs the worst defeat since Villa away (3-0) and it may even top that as being one of the worst since Eddie took over. However, the time is not to panic - Eddie needs to earn his money a bit over the next couple of weeks - back to the drawing board and take another look at things.

Trust the process. :thup: As I said through the previous week, we were probably never gonna challenge for top 4 this coming season. A run at the CL and the cups should be priority, IMO. We've come so far in two years - people need to remember that a bit and temper their expectations.