Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 Newcastle United (02/09/23)

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Naive to say we will finish 6-8, could easily finish below that, just look at Chelsea last season.

Yes, of course we could. I just think we will get this sorted, and tbh we were unlucky against Liverpool and 6/12 would have been a good start.

9 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

Tonali.                             Bruno.

New DM. 

Well a new DM isn't going to happen - personally I think Eddie needs to revert to Joelinton, Bruno and Longtaff.  I noticed when he came on against Liverpool the midfield just had more balance.  Tonali as good as he is just doesn't seem to work with Joelinton and Bruno.  That's a problem Eddie is going to have to fix - quick.

Edited by duo

On the face of it we're only 1 point worse off from the same fixtures last season. Yes we've had the toughest start of any team in the league, however the manner in which the last 2 were lost has been insipid and toothless.

It's fair to say that the game against Liverpool and tonight has shown reason to be concerned about the team. Not getting the basics right, gifting opponents, slow, laboured build up play and lack of movement, front line looking isolated and unprotected at the back, the midfield has been poor and our usual high intensity press; non-existent.

The international break has probably come at a good time for us because if we don't come back all cylinders firing the season could be a write off very quickly. I'll reserve judgement until the last ball in the Burnley home game has been kicked but right now, this has been a tough pill to swallow watching what's been served up.

1 minute ago, nemtizz said:

Honestly baffled at how terrible our midfield is out of possession and on second balls. Thought these 3 would thrive at that.

Something’s not right with Joelinton. I believe Bruno should be playing further forward. Tonali is class but he doesn’t really allow for Bruno to move further forward unless the long term plan is for them to interchange positionally game by game or in-game

Just now, duo said:

Well a new DM isn't going to happen - personally I think Eddie needs to revert to Joelinton, Bruno and Longtaff.  I noticed when he came on against Liverpool the midfield just had more balance.  Tonali as good as he is just doesn't seem to work with Joelintin and Bruno.  That's a problem Eddie is going to have to fix - quick.

They ain’t leaving a 52m player out the team. I thought Longstaff was awful when he came on.

1 minute ago, duo said:

Well a new DM isn't going to happen - personally I think Eddie needs to revert to Joelinton, Bruno and Longtaff.  I noticed when he came on against Liverpool the midfield just had more balance.  Tonali as good as he is just doesn't seem to work with Joelinton and Bruno.  That's a problem Eddie is going to have to fix - quick.

I’d stick Joelinton either on the left or on the bench. Tonali is our best midfielder so far.

1 minute ago, Mattoon said:

On the face of it we're only 1 point worse off from the same fixtures last season. Yes we've had the toughest start of any team in the league, however the manner in which the last 2 were lost has been insipid and toothless.

It's fair to say that the game against Liverpool and tonight has shown reason to be concerned about the team. Not getting the basics right, gifting opponents, slow, laboured build up play and lack of movement, front line looking isolated and unprotected at the back, the midfield has been poor and our usual high intensity press; non-existent.

The international break has probably come at a good time for us because if we don't come back all cylinders firing the season could be a write off very quickly. I'll reserve judgement until the last ball in the Burnley home game has been kicked but right now, this has been a tough pill to swallow watching what's been served up.

There were moments against villa where our midfield was wide open, it’s only got worse imo 

I said all pre season we were short of a DM - we weren’t stacked with midfielders - we have 5 - Bruno - Tonali - Willock - Joe and Longstaff 

Miley is a kid and Anderson is a wide forward 

We must be the only team in the league without a 6?

Having a 6 gives you so much flexibility - you can’t let opposition run behind the mid time and time again - it exposes the backline way too much 

For this season you got to go 4-1-4-1, 4-2-3-1 or a 4-1-2-3 - just don’t play a stupid flat 3 - on top of this playing a flat 3 leaves you too one dimensional your offensive play with players like Miggy lacking support and suffering - same with Isak 

The sooner Hall starts the better 

Just now, Myleftboot said:

They ain’t leaving a 52m player out the team. I thought Longstaff was awful when he came on.

The whole team was awful. But you can't deny he made the difference last season - we were at our best when he played with Bruno and Joe.  To fit Tonali Eddie needs to break his mold and come up with a new formation.  Joe - Bruno - Tonali just isn't working atm.

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

Maybe not. But they've certainly have been miles better than all you've mentioned but Leicester. And who knows where Leicester would have been if they didn't lose their owner in the helicopter crash?

They're much nearer to Southampton really. Leicester struck gold winning the league and that springboarded them, but Southampton's player turnover was very similar to Brighton's now. I can't remember how they come unstuck, but there's definitely a pattern of clubs having a model and then a linchpin removed ends it. Who knows what it is with Brighton, but it's clearly not any player, Potter, or Ashworth. :lol: Bloom is probably the final boss tbh.

Joelinton didn't train much this week apparently and is off-form. It has seemed like he's always picked to start regardless of form or fitness. I know he's been very good the last 18 months and I'm not taking that away from him, but I dont like this aura of players being undroppable. Longstaff was also very good last season and is seemingly fully fit, yet to have a crack this season. I don't understand why you wouldn't start hum over Joelinton today, considering the circumstances. Its no major slight on Joelinton, we're all human, but we need a more solid midfield at the moment and I think Longstaff would provide a better chance of that with his workrate and I'd say more sensible play as a more all-round midfielder. 

When we bought Tonali I thought it was with a view of releasing Bruno further up, especially after the second half of last season where we were less solid defensively. Again I've been surprised to instead see him playing higher up rather than Bruno, who gets caught out sitting deep quite a bit. He had a better set up with Shelvey sitting deeper behind him, I thought this was the idea with Tonali, granted there's always going to be some rotation during the game.

Similar with Barnes signing & Gordon, as great as Almiron has done last season I thought there'd be more rotation with Gordon, with Barnes slotting straight in on the left giving us more cutting edge in the final third.

I thought we had a great window with all this in mind but it seems the signings were made with other plans in mind. 

This is all within context; it is so important than inside the ground, the players & Howe get unconditional support & encouragement and we live up to 'we'll support you ever more'.

2 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

Last season the stats showed us as the team that got a shotvaway after winning possession the quickest. We seem to be transitioning into a more possession based team and it's not coming easy.

2 minutes ago, Mikky said:

I said all pre season we were short of a DM - we weren’t stacked with midfielders - we have 5 - Bruno - Tonali - Willock - Joe and Longstaff 

Miley is a kid and Anderson is a wide forward 

We must be the only team in the league without a 6?

Having a 6 gives you so much flexibility - you can’t let opposition run behind the mid time and time again - it exposes the backline way too much 

For this season you got to go 4-1-4-1, 4-2-3-1 or a 4-1-2-3 - just don’t play a stupid flat 3 - on top of this playing a flat 3 leaves you too one dimensional your offensive play with players like Miggy lacking support and suffering - same with Isak 

The sooner Hall starts the better 

Worked last season.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

I’d stick Joelinton either on the left or on the bench. Tonali is our best midfielder so far.

Maybe - I am not a coach so have no idea what will work but I just know the current system doesn't. 

Just now, Mikky said:

Teams figure you out

Or we've changed pattern even within the 433 to try and be more possession based, with new personnel and its not working. That's not to say it won't, but at the minute it's not.

6 minutes ago, duo said:

I agree. That at least is a combination that we know can work. 

Overall, I didn't think Tonali had a good game today. He looked okay in flashes, but most of the time, he didn't seem to know what he was doing, and seemed tentative. His failure to even attempt to close down Gilmour for the first goal was just awful and would have been noticed by his team-mates.

1 minute ago, Cronky said:

I agree. That at least is a combination that we know can work. 

Overall, I didn't think Tonali had a good game today. He looked okay in flashes, but most of the time, he didn't seem to know what he was doing, and seemed tentative. His failure to even attempt to close down Gilmour for the first goal was just awful and would have been noticed by his team-mates.

What you said about Tonali could be word for word Bruno as well.