Respect

Seegull

You may have lost the game yesterday but you won the respect of every member of our group and I suspect every Albion fan yesterday. A superb atmosphere at the Amex yesterday created by both sets of fans from the start but your fans’ reaction to going 3-0 down was just brilliant. Chatted to loads of Geordies before and after the game and an absolute pleasure to a man. Also, no one was ‘giving it large’ at the kids in the neighbouring family stand which bizarrely is the norm from most visiting fans.

Newcastle, of course, are a much bigger club than Brighton but it struck me that both are in a similar place right now with fans having no sense of entitlement or arrogance but loving the journey we are on! That really came across yesterday.

Hope you smash the Champions League!

If this is real (our rivals have these suspicious ‘in peace’ threads at the end of all their games), then fair play.

Anyone going to a game to cause bother is a weapon and childish.

I think you’ll find that most fans, not just from our club are a fan of how Brighton have developed.

Yesterday we weren’t at the races, hopefully we’ll return the beating next time. 

15 minutes ago, Seegull said:

You may have lost the game yesterday but you won the respect of every member of our group and I suspect every Albion fan yesterday. A superb atmosphere at the Amex yesterday created by both sets of fans from the start but your fans’ reaction to going 3-0 down was just brilliant. Chatted to loads of Geordies before and after the game and an absolute pleasure to a man. Also, no one was ‘giving it large’ at the kids in the neighbouring family stand which bizarrely is the norm from most visiting fans.

Newcastle, of course, are a much bigger club than Brighton but it struck me that both are in a similar place right now with fans having no sense of entitlement or arrogance but loving the journey we are on! That really came across yesterday.

Hope you smash the Champions League!

Just the fact you trousered 178m quid for Cucurella and Caicedo to Chelsea is enough to salute what you as a club are doing :thup:

Bigger team - check

Bestest fans - check

Hope you win a trophy - check

Forgive the cynicism Steven, it's just there's a tinpot club somewhere near the North Sea who routinely post this after every loss from 'an opposition fan' to make themselves feel better.

Brighton were the better team for sure, it sounds like a great ground to visit, and the city is a friendly one with loads going on.

But, there's no such thing as a 'bigger team', that's all Sky nonsense.

I like Brighton as a club, amazing the way they’ve developed in recent years and they deserve every success. I don’t have a second team and never will but I generally want them to win their matches when not playing us and would be happy for them to challenge the status quo. Used to live twenty mins away so that helps. Our seagulls are bigger and badder though 

11 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I like Brighton as a club, amazing the way they’ve developed in recent years and they deserve every success. I don’t have a second team and never will but I generally want them to win their matches when not playing us and would be happy for them to challenge the status quo. Used to live twenty mins away so that helps. Our seagulls are bigger and badder though 

In a nutshell. Loved watching them spank Liverpool and Chelsea last year. Their model seems to rely a lot on idiot clubs like Chelsea overpaying for their players (and manager, wouldn't be shocked if Chelsea, vile cunts that they are, tried to poach De Zerbi next) but they've made enough in the past couple of years to sustain themselves for a long time it would seem.

Had Brighton supporting family at the game and they texted similar. They were blown away with our support. Not that we should be surprised but it was great to see our fans supporting so well even post game, if you had tuned in after you would think we had won! 

I hope the majority of our fanbase can retain that level of support and patience to team while we are in a rough patch.

4 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Had Brighton supporting family at the game and they texted similar. They were blown away with our support. Not that we should be surprised but it was great to see our fans supporting so well even post game, if you had tuned in after you would think we had won! 

I hope the majority of our fanbase can retain that level of support and patience to team while we are in a rough patch.

The away crowd is typically excellent, has always been that way down the years. It's the sit-on-their-hands home crowd I worry about more, especially when the chips are down. Wish the home support had more of a bunker mentality every week and not just when Man Utd come to town.

33 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Bigger team - check

Bestest fans - check

Hope you win a trophy - check

Forgive the cynicism Steven, it's just there's a tinpot club somewhere near the North Sea who routinely post this after every loss from 'an opposition fan' to make themselves feel better.

Brighton were the better team for sure, it sounds like a great ground to visit, and the city is a friendly one with loads going on.

But, there's no such thing as a 'bigger team', that's all Sky nonsense.

Honestly, genuine post from me.

I appreciate your last comment though. Fans of clubs like Chelsea, arsenal, United etc etc along with the likes of talk sport (who actually had a phone in topic last season titled ‘should clubs like Brighton, Fulham and Brentford be allowed to play in Europe’) constantly have a go at us because we are just ‘little old Brighton’ and should get back in our box. It becomes a habit to admit to the obvious fact that we are a smaller club with little past success before its rammed down our throats.. But Ive always said that i would happily buy a beer in my local if someone walked in wearing a walsall or Shrewsbury shirt (or Newcastle of course) because you can guarantee they wont be plastic glory hunters. I wouldn't bother even saying hello if they were wearing a chelsea or United shiirt!

12 minutes ago, Seegull said:

I appreciate your last comment though. Fans of clubs like Chelsea, arsenal, United etc etc along with the likes of talk sport (who actually had a phone in topic last season titled ‘should clubs like Brighton, Fulham and Brentford be allowed to play in Europe’) constantly have a go at us because we are just ‘little old Brighton’ and should get back in our box. It becomes a habit to admit to the obvious fact that we are a smaller club with little past success before its rammed down our throats.. But Ive always said that i would happily buy a beer in my local if someone walked in wearing a walsall or Shrewsbury shirt (or Newcastle of course) because you can guarantee they wont be plastic glory hunters. I wouldn't bother even saying hello if they were wearing a chelsea or United shiirt!

Fair enough - and as others have said, what Brighton have achieved so far and continue to is fantastic. I'm not quite sure how you've done it given the continual raids on your team, managers and backroom team (errr, sorry).

'Big clubs' have always been a bit of a nonsense to me as an idea. You can argue all day about what that means, and it still doesn't matter a jot. One of my constant annoyances was seeing good players leave for a chance at some self entitled 'big club' and you've had that more than most. Regular European competition for you should hopefully lessen that over time, and I'm all for seeing a changing of the guard at the top end of the PL.

There is a fear re plastic fans, that we'll inevitably attract more assuming we continue to grow - I guess that's the price of success, but it's a difficult one to navigate as you can't and shouldn't just pull up the drawbridge. Anyway, hope you have more good days oot enjoying the matches - the fan experience seems to be forgotten a lot when it's that atmosphere is what makes the league what it is.

That's the way to be as fans either way. That's what gets remembered. Its something different about us, anyone can go on like a bairn when they lose and be good when they get their own way - there's nothing special about that, they all do it.

Its things like clapping the team off after getting relegated - Dabizas had to explain it to people in Greece, the craic with Bilbao after losing, clapping Arsenal off after the cup final - remarked upon by Adams, Wenger and Overmars, nobody leaving when we got beat 4-1 off Liverpool and xenomorph heed Owen in Gullit's first game and remember Stuart McCall mentioning in a programme years later that ouir fans never stopped singing despite getting beat 4-0 at Everton on his debut.

Timely reminder to some.

Edited by Jonas

43 minutes ago, Seegull said:

Talkshite having a phone in questioning certain clubs being allowed to be in europe is why I stopped listening to it years ago....ridiculous topic...so basically they want the ESL? It's weird what you say about fans of certain clubs...most away fans in Newcastle pubs before game are spot on...bit of a generalisation obviously but fans of Chelsea man utd Liverpool often leave a lot to be desired. 

Edited by Bally21

Re Talkshite. You have to think of their gameplan. It's to have controversial (crap) topics to get people to ring in, they didn't mind saying one thing one day then the opposite the next if it keeps people ringing in and listening.