AC Milan 0-0 Newcastle United (19/09/23)

Disco

3 minutes ago, STM said:

Since Villa, this is how I've seen it:

City: Dogged, conceded from a great strike against the best side in the world. 

Liverpool: Were excellent for 45, and decent for 70. Absolute car crash in the final minutes.

Brighton: Was poor performance as a direct result of our confidence being shot after Liverpool, also, Brighton are excellent.

Brentford: Classic game where the oppo tried to shithouse us and we struggled to break them down. We are still regaining our confidence and again Brentford are a tough outfit.

Milan: Rode our luck but defended with valor, attack still not firing. Some chemistry missing.

Again, I will say, we've had one hell of a fixture list.

That's bang on for me, put into context it really does explain a lot and shows how a brief blip can be blown out of all proportion by the media.

8 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I don't think our players are as good as Milan's, and Liverpool's are miles better. We've got ourselves into this position through great management and team spirit. We have to be realistic and not expect too much. 

We had Murphy, Longstaff, and Schar starting, with Miggy and Wilson coming on for major roles. All players who two years ago were in a side heading for relegation with 20 points.

I don't think there's much in it personally, but yeah, fair point about Liverpool, and we clearly overachieved (in terms of quality) last season. Milan started Loftus Cheek, brought on Pulisic, and I know he still plays for France, but Giroud is 37 next week and didn't exactly light up the Premier League in his last 4 years here, scoring 7, 2, 8. and 4, and I wouldn't actively want to sign him for Newcastle at this stage. Thiaw signed from a German 2nd division team for £5m last year. I don't know enough about the likes of Pobega, Krunic etc. but it's definitely not a star studded side, and they are not as daunting as their name would suggest.

We were, and suspect still are after that result, odds on to get out of the group with PSG, albeit via UK bookies, but the money in the PL these last few years has been obscene and it's hard for these brilliant historic clubs to keep up. We took Tonali from them, Isak, Bruno, Botman etc. One literally did get in their team last year, they wanted, but couldn't afford another, and they would probably find a way to get the other 2 in as well. Our captain Trippier will likely be as good as their RB captain. You'd probably have 5 or 6 of each team if you did a combined XI, and I was expecting a fairly even match, but there did look a big difference between the sides, despite the match odds being very similar.

Anyway, I've said more than enough. It is a very good point, one I would have definitely taken a draw at 5.45pm.

Just now, STM said:

Again, I will say, we've had one hell of a fixture list.

It is and agree. But there has been concern after the Villa game even with the hard fixtures. With a manager saying intensity is our mantra..not been seen since the Villa game. Dont expect to be flying out every game but it hasnt been seen since the Villa game and 30 mins of the Liverpool game. Midfield and attack link up has some serious issues. But we can fully judge after the next two games.

1 hour ago, CPL said:

How the hell does Tomori not get in the England team ahead of Maguire. Nothing was getting past him tonight.

I'm sorry like, but that's just fucking insane. It seemed like he was stopping our entire strike force by himself tonight.

28 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Fucking brilliant day in Milan, capped off by a really positive performance, barring some sloppy nervous play in the first half.

Opening 10 mins we were great, for about 20 mins after that it was very tough, and then after that I thought we played really well considering the size of the task.

The San Siro, in person, is a really fucking intimidating place to play, which I’d say significantly affected our play in the first half.

The second half was a tremendous away performance at one of the hardest stadiums in the world.

Very very proud of the lads. What a day!

What is intimidating about it? Genuine question, just interested to know 

Now it’s digested, I’ve listened the players and a manger… the occasion, the inexperience, the atmosphere, the journey from there to now, the first game of the group of death, the clean sheet.

I’ve taken a step back and realised this is brand new , it was all about the journey this year. Yes, we hopefully go on to play better but fuck it, 0-0 at the San Siro in the opening game, I’ll take it 😊

19 minutes ago, andycap said:

What's solid about poor finishing? They should've had atleast two goals and that's been stingy on my part. 

Sure, some luck involved too. Was just saying I think we’re obviously somewhat out of nick and are trying to focus on solidity and the basics, and results of last 2 games in those circumstances show a good, well-coached side. But yes, also somewhat lucky tonight. Proud as punch nonetheless.

1 minute ago, Izakaya said:

And Theo Hernandez

Milan were nowhere near as bad as some of our more arrogant fans were expecting. Respected posters were poo-pooing their players on the basis of a freak result in the weekend derby.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Milan were nowhere near as bad as some of our more arrogant fans were expecting. Respected posters were poo-pooing their players on the basis of a freak result in the weekend derby.

A lot of it probably just looking for reasons for optimism?