AC Milan 0-0 Newcastle United (19/09/23)

Disco

I have such polarised opinions on this game.

On the one hand, going to the San Siro and getting a point is a brilliant result, and a great start to being back in the CL after 20 years away.

On the other hand, not having a shot on target until the 94th minute is fucking criminal, and indicative of a team that just hasn't turned up.

Basically if they'd put a couple of their chances away, we'd have had no complaints at all and would now be launching an inquest into why we were so shit. But they didn't, and we got a draw. Weird game.

The result is big, and to go to the San Siro and come away with a point is bloody great regardless of whether or not they're a vintage team. Again, humility is probably needed from us. They're an established European side, and we're lining up with lads that would never ever have dreamed of playing against Milan in the Champions League. A little disappointing that we didn't showcase anything attacking-wise and that our passing was very poor at times, but hey ho. 

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

On the one hand, going to the San Siro and getting a point is a brilliant result, and a great start to being back in the CL after 20 years away.

On the other hand, not having a shot on target until the 94th minute is fucking criminal, and indicative of a team that just hasn't turned up.

Basically if they'd put a couple of their chances away, we'd have had no complaints at all and would now be launching an inquest into why we were so shit. But they didn't, and we got a draw. Weird game.

I think it also shows the immense respect (fear) that AC Milan had regarding Newcastle.  They were terrified of our front three's pace which is why they didn't go "gung ho".  So although we didn't create a lot of opportunities, the opposition were very wary of our set up/formation.  Well done Eddie.

Fucks sake man. 0-0 away in the San Siro after 20 years and about a decade out of European football. What a bunch of fannies. 
fucking brilliant result. 
the change from ‘we just want a team that tries’ to unrealistic expectations is breathtakingly fast. 
‘Concerning performance’. Are you fucking kidding? 

I just don’t like how we are set up in midfield - it’s just too predictable 

Either we play with a double or single pivot - I hope it’s the former - should be Tonali and Bruno sitting - then Anderson - Willock - Joe - Isak or Gordon on front 

1 minute ago, AJ9 said:

The result is big, and to go to the San Siro and come away with a point is bloody great regardless of whether or not they're a vintage team. Again, humility is probably needed from us. They're an established European side, and we're lining up with lads that would never ever have dreamed of playing against Milan in the Champions League. A little disappointing that we didn't showcase anything attacking-wise and that our passing was very poor at times, but hey ho. 

This is all I'm disappointed(do feel this is a bit strong of a word) with tbh.

We know we can play way better, and to see us way off on the big stage, against a side I honestly fancy our chances against at home after witnessing that, just feels a pity.

Lads have to be happy with a draw and clean sheet in their first CL game, away, at the San siro to last year's semi-finalists [emoji38]

1 minute ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Fucks sake man. 0-0 away in the San Siro after 20 years and about a decade out of European football. What a bunch of fannies. 
the change from ‘we just want a team that tries’ to unrealistic expectations is breathtakingly fast. 

Shocking you’ve just glossed over Pardew and Roeders achievements. 

I would’ve liked a little more football from us, but overall very happy with how we managed the situation. 

We’re playing our first CL game in 20 years away to Milan in the San Siro. We’re starting with Murphy and Longstaff and Burn. We’ve had a difficult start to the season and we aren’t playing well. 

Bravo to Eddie and the lads, get the point on the board, learn from it and grow. 

To go away to that ground against a side like that and take a point in our first CL for 20 years is amazing work and I think most of us would have taken that before kick off. 

It had to be said though, the performance tonight was slack in many areas. We were fortunate to come away with that point, there has been a lot made of this game and perhaps the players went in nervy because even after we shifted to the mid block in the second half there was hardly any composure that you’d expect from certain players. We lacked mentally tonight imo. Maybe we grow into this competition and maybe not, either way I’m here to enjoy every single game we get. 

12 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Yeah, feel much the same.

Heard about some study a while back about people being essentially the same people no matter what happens to them. A curmudgeon will be a curmudgeon if they win the lottery. And a happy-go-lucky character will be a happy-go-lucky character if they break their leg.

Feels much the same on the forum. Some are just happy to be here, and a point vindicates that positivity. Even thought a loss would have been managed within the context of it being against CL opposition, first game in CL in ages etc etc.

Some want to see us play the best they are capable of doing, even if that isn't always possible for a variety of very credible reasons, and having only one 94th-minute shot on goal vindicates their desire to see team's talent showcased more effectively.

While appreciating the players are giving it their all, I'm probably closer to the second of the two ends of the spectrum, but you've nailed it tbh - a different result with the same performance often yields a complete re-framing of how people spin the game to their own natural predisposition :lol:

5 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Don’t get wound up by the internet, it’ll only drive you nuts, it’s not real.

This place is like Twitter at times.

Ideal World we show a bit more going forward and impose ourselves a bit more but in reality, we’ve gone to the San Siro in the CL and got a point in the opening game. We should all be celebrating how far we’ve come rather than bemoaning where we aren’t . 

Just a personal and unprofessional outlook but I'm not bothered about performances in games like that. Its not indicative of anything unless the status quo was to comfortably beat them.

I wasn't looking for that on either of the last two CL seasons either, like this just not to get battered at a new level, especially with Barcelona and away at Milan.

33 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Great point, certainly would have taken that at the start of the game, but the performance was concerning. They are an iconic club, with a brilliant stadium and vast Champions League experience, but player for player, the difference shouldn't have been like that. They were around 6/4 pre match, we were 7/4, so almost 50/50, but the way the game panned out youd think we were some 6/1 no mark making up the numbers like a Plzen or Antwerp. 

Liverpool would have been much more in the game there and wouldn't hsve been dominated, but we do look well off it at the moment.

Still, good point though. 7 points at home and maybe nick another away point on the road and we should be in and around 2nd, but we'll hsve to be much better than that, and I would expect us to improve at home.

I don't think our players are as good as Milan's, and Liverpool's are miles better. We've got ourselves into this position through great management and team spirit. We have to be realistic and not expect too much. 

We had Murphy, Longstaff, and Schar starting, with Miggy and Wilson coming on for major roles. All players who two years ago were in a side heading for relegation with 20 points.

2 minutes ago, Beren said:

Heard about some study a while back about people being essentially the same people no matter what happens to them. A curmudgeon will be a curmudgeon if they win the lottery. And a happy-go-lucky character will be a happy-go-lucky character if they break their leg.

Feels much the same on the forum. Some are just happy to be here, and a point vindicates that positivity. Even thought a loss would have been managed within the context of it being against CL opposition, first game in CL in ages etc etc.

Some want to see us play the best they are capable of doing, even if that isn't always possible for a variety of very credible reasons, and having only one 94th-minute shot on goal vindicates their desire to see team's talent showcased more effectively.

While appreciating the players are giving it their all, I'm probably closer to the second of the two ends of the spectrum, but you've nailed it tbh - a different result with the same performance often yields a complete re-framing of how people spin the game to their own natural predisposition :lol:

Mate, don't ruin the magic. [emoji38]

2 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I don't think our players are as good as Milan's, and Liverpool's are miles better. We've got ourselves into this position through great management and team spirit. We have to be realistic and not expect too much. 

We had Murphy, Longstaff, and Schar starting, with Miggy and Wilson coming on for major roles. All players who two years ago were in a side heading for relegation with 20 points.

Read this after my previous. Agree with this. 

Decent point away. 

The end

2 minutes ago, Beren said:

The happy go lucky person won't be miserable during the process though. A small minority on here seem to refuse any small shred of happiness.