Newcastle United 0-1 Borussia Dortmund (25/10/23)

Yorkie

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Still in a strong position. If we beat them over there, as long as we don't get thumped in Paris we should at least get 3rd. I think PSG will beat Milan away so get into the last two games on:

PSG - 9

NUFC - 7

Dortmund - 4

Milan - 2

and it looks good. 

You're living up to your username there bud! Not sure we go to Dortmund and win, I think that'll be tougher than PSG away, personally.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Aye, to be honest after tonight I’d be shocked if we get out the group now. I thought before we needed 3 home wins to stand a chance.

Need to beat Dortmund away now pretty much, then we are back in it.

17 minutes ago, midds said:

Really really disappointed with that performance. Dortmund were smart and knew exactly what to do and how to play it (to be expected given their experience in Europe for the last god knows how many years). We showed a lot of inexperience  in the game in general and couldn't figure them out yet still had 3 big moments which could easily have resulted in a goal. 

They looked in control for most of the game and they deserved to win, they took one of their chances and we didn't. We looked sloppy as fuck and thick as fuck too at times, we looked like the novices we are in Europe and their experience told in the end. Passing was poor, tempo was slow and we rarely threatened. They nullified us and ripped us on the counter, we were just beaten by a better, smarter team. 

We just need to put this in the lesson bank and learn from it as we'll have this situation again in the near future, similar to the Liverpool result. Learn from it, figure out what went wrong and be aware next time we're in this situation. This is why I was looking forward to watching this group  - it's 6 tough fixtures and at the end of them all we'll end up a better, savvy intelligent unit. It's a loss tonight but we need to learn from the experience 

Great post. A lot to learn but we will, for sure.

4 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

They came for the smash and grab and it paid off for them, we weren't out classed or battered, we were out maneuvered. I'm not annoyed by this loss, can't really point the finger anywhere, I'm just frustrated. On a different day we're sat top of the table and we're all slapping each others backs. 

This is exactly how I saw the game play out.

Even their counters were more from our careless play, rather than anything particularly impressive they did.

Really like our chances at their place. Hopefully with more players available by then.

We had a good go tonight that's all we can ask. I'd of started tonali as he started the other two games in the champions league, it made no sense to not play him with his ban just around the corner. Miggy needs to go to the byline like there leftback had a piss easy game against him. 

6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Tempo was slow at times but passing was rushed as well. We overhit a ton of balls, really unusual how out of sync we were with our longer passing along the ground 

Thought we got a bit frantic after conceding, agree about the wayward distribution but it had nowt to do with slow tempo

Just now, Andy84 said:

Don’t mind getting beat at all, we’ve proven under Howe that we can come roaring back.  It’s the fucking injuries that continue to piss me off 

The injuries we continue to get are a continual arse fuck from the devil. 

38 minutes ago, worthy said:

Or supporters can up their game so they can get to the level of the rest of Europe. Honestly atmosphere in PL games are subpar compared to any other league. Kudos to the Dortmund fans, will be WILD at their turf.

Aye, instead of looking down our noses at european fans and complaining that they're making too much noise, we should be learning from them.

As far as I'm concerned, the fact that the team is still even remotely functional despite a ridiculous amount of injuries and our top summer signing getting suspended for he entire season is a testament to the fact that we have a strong squad built on good transfer business, not the other way around. 

You can only prepare so much for contingencies. It's no reasonable to have expect a whole XI of top-quality starters waiting in the wings when our first team starts going down.

They were well organised and showed their experience. Lots of tactical fouling, good discipline out of possession but used it well when they had it and played some decent stuff at times.  

We probably just about deserved a draw after the second half but it never felt like we really ramped up the pressure on them as much as you'd expect. A lot of sloppy touches and passes mixed with the poor weather conditions and a few players looking fatigued. 

Just now, Turnbull2000 said:

Not hugely disappointed in the result. Just super anxious about losing so many players now. Murphy seems a cert to be out till December and Isak anything from a week to 3 months.

And tonali gone. So willock back and 3 out 

Just now, OoOGazOoO said:

You're living up to your username there bud! Not sure we go to Dortmund and win, I think that'll be tougher than PSG away, personally.

Guess it's what makes this format so good. Tonight they pretty much had to win otherwise they were done. A draw would have been decent for us. 

Over there, a draw is a good result for them, a win for them pretty much finishes us off, a draw isn't ideal for us but keeps us in it. 

Love it. 

I don't think a 0-1 defeat was injust, Dortmund played with purpose and confidence, felt like we ended up relying on too many players who had been part of our relegation nightmares, and losing Isak was a massive blow.

I don't blame our coaching staff, there's only so much you can do with a certain level of player, and we just had too many quality players missing over 90 mins.

4 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

Sadly I don’t thinks it’s going to happen.

A draw isn't a bad result like. What is bad though is I can see PSG going to Borussia last game already group winners. Could probably do with Milan finally turning up to the group next round of games. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

This is exactly how I saw the game play out.

Even their counters were more from our careless play, rather than anything particularly impressive they did.

Really like our chances at their place. Hopefully with more players available by then.

The game is in two week's time. Isak would be the most important player, Murphy would have been another option to provide pace against their press. Things went against us tonight, but we also aren't in the best position to put it right in such a short span of time.