Newcastle United 0-1 Borussia Dortmund (25/10/23)

Yorkie

Suicide watch man. We're just crediting that opposition to be honest @Rod. No one's panicking, no ones worrying, we're still in with a fighting chance of qualifying, we just came up against a well organised counter attacking unit.

Edited by The Prophet

5 minutes ago, Smal said:

Longstaff played 90 minutes on Saturday and Joelinton 80 after just coming back from injury. Possibly something to be learned there because both looked unusually lethargic tonight. Can't really afford to have the two runners in midfield not on it against someone like Dortmund. 

It's a great point.

Hope we can figure out some rotations that benefit us more going forward.

Just now, KaKa said:

It's a great point.

Hope we can figure out some rotations that benefit us more going forward.

yeah. Willock coming back is obviously huge. Could've done with Tonali starting tonight but I can certainly understand why he didn't. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Suicide watch man. We're just crediting that opposition to be honest @Rod. No one's panicking, no ones worrying we're still in with a fighting chance of qualifying, we just came up against a well organised counter attacking unit.

Good to hear.

Big positive is that we look more than capable at this level, wasn't sure if we would before the group started and the Milan game didn't help. Big negative is that we're 3rd having played 2 home games. I'd say a win away to Dortmund or PSG or at least 2 draws is now essential. Very tough, but we've showed enough to believe we can do it.

4 minutes ago, Holloway said:

The tempo wasn't slow,it was rushed if anything. You need a bit of guile in these encounters

Tempo was slow at times but passing was rushed as well. We overhit a ton of balls, really unusual how out of sync we were with our longer passing along the ground 

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yes we did.

Willock went left and Gordon was playing off Wilson, and both were interchanging at times. Almiron stayed in the right.

Double pivot of Bruno and Tonali.

I really liked it. Felt like we were giving their defence a lot more to think about whenever we went forward. Great to have as a plan B, hope Howe tries it again 

1 minute ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Definitely. They had a great spell first half but only actually scored after we'd had 15 mins of solid possession (which we didn't do much with) 

But the way some cunts are going on you'd think we got outplayed when they rarely entered our half 2nd half 

They came for the smash and grab and it paid off for them, we weren't out classed or battered, we were out maneuvered. I'm not annoyed by this loss, can't really point the finger anywhere, I'm just frustrated. On a different day we're sat top of the table and we're all slapping each others backs. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Still in a strong position. If we beat them over there, as long as we don't get thumped in Paris we should at least get 3rd. I think PSG will beat Milan away so get into the last two games on:

PSG - 9

NUFC - 7

Dortmund - 4

Milan - 2

and it looks good. 

That’s a massive assumption we go to Dortmund and win mind.

Will be honest, the way this season goes and injuries we get and now Tonali off for long, our squad will be on its knees by Christmas with the lack of real rotation done by Howe. Burn, Tripper, Bruno, Gordon etc all played way to much.

Barnes out too for months.

Bit surprised at the lack of starts for Hall, Livramento.

Overall I think we messed up the transfer window, this Tonali signing backfired, despite being our marquee signing for club record, Barnes came after we missed out on Maddison who has now 3 goals, 5 assists at a direct rival, Barnes lucky to replicate that over a full season, Maddison did it in 9 rounds.

Livramento and Hall are both good prospects but did not come in to strengthen the starting line up. and even Barnes isnt a starter over Gordon imo. so the only starter arrived Tonali, he certainly wont start anything this season anymore.

compared to last season we have a much stronger spurs and Pool and Chelsea will be more potent too. bloody fucking hard to finish in top6 let alone top 4.

we may did reach CL ahead of the curve a bit, but the fall back to EL or Conference League wont be too good once we tasted CL.

very unlucky with this CL group too, no weak teams, we may have had our only win already, I think its now up for Milan and us to fight it out for 3rd place but I am not sure this squad is big enough to have Thursday night games from February and tough PL games every Sunday.

Botman, Isak, Barnes, Tonali all out now, and the schedule is fucking sick, Wolves away , United away, Arsenal home, Dortmund away all within 2 weeks now. call me pessimistic but can see us going through that without a win and few more injuries picked up...

1 minute ago, BShearer said:

Will be honest, the way this season goes and injuries we get and now Tonali off for long, our squad will be on its knees by Christmas with the lack of real rotation done by Howe. Burn, Tripper, Bruno, Gordon etc all played way to much.

Overall I think we messed up the transfer window, this Tonali signing backfired, despite being our marquee signing for club record, Barnes came after we missed out on Maddison who has now 3 goals, 5 assists at a direct rival, Barnes lucky to replicate that over a full season, Maddison did it in 9 rounds.

Livramento and Hall are both good prospects but did not come in to strengthen the starting line up. and even Barnes isnt a starter over Gordon imo. so the only starter arrived Tonali, he certainly wont start anything this season anymore.

compared to last season we have a much stronger spurs and Pool and Chelsea will be more potent too. bloody fucking hard to finish in top6 let alone top 4.

we may did reach CL ahead of the curve a bit, but the fall back to EL or Conference League wont be too good once we tasted CL.

very unlucky with this CL group too, no weak teams, we may have had our only win already, I think its now up for Milan and us to fight it out for 3rd place but I am not sure this squad is big enough to have Thursday night games from February and tough PL games every Sunday.

Botman, Isak, Barnes, Tonali all out now, and the schedule is fucking sick, Wolves away , United away, Arsenal home, Dortmund away all within 2 weeks now. call me pessimistic but can see us going through that without a win and few more injuries picked up...

You are pessimistic 

I think it's not helpful being so positive. What we really need is to throw bricks at the players and sack the fucking manager. 

Completely outplayed even when they didn't have the ball. Took the piss out of us. 

Hit the bar twice? That's what the bar is there for, not even proper chances, we should be getting 20 one on ones per game. Shite 

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

I really liked it. Felt like we were giving their defence a lot more to think about whenever we went forward. Great to have as a plan B, hope Howe tries it again 

Yeah, I think we ought to do this sometimes when Wilson is upfront and not quite having a good time getting involved in general play.

Allows him to then just focus on getting in behind and the man playing off him can link up play.

I actually think if we make the change at the start of the second half we get the better of them.

It was a nice change by Eddie and one to keep in his arsenal going forward.

8 minutes ago, pubteam said:
8 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

One concern is our ability to come from behind against a well drilled team with a low block. Still say we need a top creative midfielder in there

Maxi we miss you

Never contributed a thing against a low block. 

3 minutes ago, BShearer said:

4c9.jpg