League Cup Quarter Final - Chelsea (a) -19/12/23 @ 8pm (live on SkySports)

44 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

The odds for this are crazy - Chelsea 4/5 on and Newcastle almost 3-1. Can't see why that is?

It was almost 50/50 when the draw was made with them a very slight favourite, but I guess it will mainly be the venue. Since the draw was made they did draw at home to Man City, beat Brighton, and then Sheff U (although obviously nothing special), whereas since then, away from home, we have lost 2-0 to Bournemouth (which could have been 5 or 6), lost 3-0 to Everton and 4-1 to Spurs, plus barely laying a glove on Dortmund. Our injury situation isn't getting much better, get a couple back, but lose 2 more straightaway. Then factor in fixture congestion in that this is our 9th match since Nov 11th with a small pool of players, I can see why we are that price.

We're actually 7/2 at Unibet, so even longer, and I believe they are the longest odds we have been this season for a domestic match as we were only around 5/2 vs City at the start of the season.

1 hour ago, jonny1403 said:

The odds for this are crazy - Chelsea 4/5 on and Newcastle almost 3-1. Can't see why that is?

midweek away match in that london- injuries and fatigue.

seems about right. dont see them having to rest many.

Not sure if Isak is an option or not and sounds like Gordon is also playing with a niggle.  So I'm guessing Wilson will probably start.

Personally, I think he's looked leggy as fuck since Isak came off at home to Dortmund.  Plus he's been injured again since in the meantime.  3 games in 6 days would certainly seem like too much for him and the extra minutes will have contributed to him breaking down against Dortmund away. 

1 hour ago, jonny1403 said:

Probably a lot to do with our away form.

Still surprising to see Chelsea such favourites mind.

Sounds from Hope like they might not want to risk Isak if possible so my guess is start Wilson with Gordon on the bench to come on for him and give both of them part of a match.

I'm going to predict:

M Dubs

Krafu  Jammy L   Dummett    BDB

[um... who the fuck is still fit?...]

Miley  Bruno  Longstaff

Ritchie                     Newcatle United Fan Lewis Hall

Wilson

1 hour ago, Checko said:

Sounds from Hope like they might not want to risk Isak if possible so my guess is start Wilson with Gordon on the bench to come on for him and give both of them part of a match.

I'm going to predict:

M Dubs

Krafu  Jammy L   Dummett    BDB

[um... who the fuck is still fit?...]

Miley  Bruno  Longstaff

Ritchie                     Newcatle United Fan Lewis Hall

Wilson

3 hours ago, jonny1403 said:

I'd price us higher than that and Chelsea a lot lower.

This is a massive game for Chelsea and we are knackered.

23 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I mean, not much but 'more points in the league' is usually enough for most clubs to deprioritise the cup. Especially if they think of themselves as a big club. 

They're not going down and they're almost certainly not getting Europe.

Surely a cup win is worth more than finishing 9th instead of 10th? I know what I'd prefer as a fan.

Flashbacks to Andy O'Brien skying over from about 6 yards out at 0-0 and Hasselbaink winning it a couple of minutes later with this one. Would have had an average mid-table Spurs in the Semis and Blackburn who were in the bottom 3 at the time of the Final (who won it under Souness). 

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Flashbacks to Andy O'Brien skying over from about 6 yards out at 0-0 and Hasselbaink winning it a couple of minutes later with this one. Would have had an average mid-table Spurs in the Semis and Blackburn who were in the bottom 3 at the time of the Final (who won it under Souness). 

Shut up.

1 hour ago, Chris_R said:

They're not going down and they're almost certainly not getting Europe.

Surely a cup win is worth more than finishing 9th instead of 10th? I know what I'd prefer as a fan.

Agree - they would if they win a cup (get into Europe).  They have about 3 full squads to choose from as well so pretty sure they will be up for this, irrespective of their league position.