Newcastle United 1-0 Arsenal (04/11/23) - Post match reaction from p. 46

Yorkie

40 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I'm surprised that Arsenal have made a statement backing Arteta. I can understand managers getting het up in the immediate aftermath of a game, but clubs need to set a better example all round. And above all else, they're simply wrong. Allowing the goal wasn't the outrage that they're suggesting.

I know they are one of the league's darlings but it really feels like the Premier League needs to do something here. A manager having a tantrum minutes after the match is one thing (as embarrassing as it was), but a club releasing a statement like this when in the grand scheme of things it wasn't really anything that crazy (unlike Liverpool who very wrongly had a goal disallowed) sets a dangerous precedent. 

I also find it comical how Arsenal, starting with Arteta, could have started a very different narrative which is that we should have been down to 10 men in the first half and honestly that would have been fair. They've made it all about the goal just because VAR looked at three things as if the number of incidents has any meaning.

The return fixture is going to be one of the games of the season. I think I'm now looking forward to it more than Anfield, though I have no idea how we'll keep 11 men on the pitch.

6 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I think it's a reasonable stance that a referee who isn't allowed to do a club's matches due to allegiance should also not be the VAR ref. That's asking for trouble and/or bad optics.

2 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I think it's a reasonable stance that a referee who isn't allowed to do a club's matches due to allegiance should also not be the VAR ref. That's asking for trouble and/or bad optics.

Yeah but it's also reasonable to not spread absolute bollocks. :lol:

Screenshot_20231106_152955_Brave.thumb.jpg.4dda55c84a40cc38115efb5594dc6c44.jpg

For those at the match, when the var stuff was coming up on the screen possible ball out if play, possible foul, possible wearing a tache in a public place etc.......was anyone expectting the next one to say "look, we're trying to find something......anything, to disallow this goal.

Just now, madras said:

For those at the match, when the var stuff was coming up on the screen possible ball out if play, possible foul, possible wearing a tache in a public place etc.......was anyone expectting the next one to say "look, we're trying to find something......anything, to disallow this goal.

At the time it felt like exactly that. I was convinced they were going to overrule it for something. The ref was awful all game and was booed off at half time. From my spot in the Gallowgate I didn't think there was anything wrong with the goal. The "push" could have been given, but the VAR officials obviously didn't think there was enough in it to award the foul. I agree with others that the defender was stooping to try and flick it back with his head and fucked up. It's just ranting and raving from their point of view on something that's entirely subjective. Embarrassing behaviour.

1 hour ago, Ste said:

Jorginho is the modern day Scott Parker. I don’t think he necessarily ignored Lascelles as much as he was looking for a ball to pirouette with or pass sideways.

If his hand had actually made contact with Jamaal's he'd have subsequently thrown himself on the ground holding his face

1 minute ago, NUFC_Chris said:

At the time it felt like exactly that. I was convinced they were going to overrule it for something. The ref was awful all game and was booed off at half time. From my spot in the Gallowgate I didn't think there was anything wrong with the goal. The "push" could have been given, but the VAR officials obviously didn't think there was enough in it to award the foul. I agree with others that the defender was stooping to try and flick it back with his head and fucked up. It's just ranting and raving from their point of view on something that's entirely subjective. Embarrassing behaviour.

I thought there doubts of ball in play (from L7) and offside (Gordon in advance of the keeper), the one that looked OK was Joelintons challenge....and that's the one they are now hanging their hats on.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

I thought there doubts of ball in play (from L7) and offside (Gordon in advance of the keeper), the one that looked OK was Joelintons challenge....and that's the one they are now hanging their hats on.

It doesn’t matter if Gordon was ahead of the keeper as long as he was behind Joelinton and the ball went backwards or level 

49 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Rest assured - next time we play at Arsenal, we'll get bugger all from the officials there. Ian Wright actually had the gall to say the ref was a 'homer' on Saturday? If that's the case, he'd had sent off Havertz like he was supposed to!

We are back at the top table, fellas and this kind of 'thing' will happen more often. We've upset the applecart - certain big clubs and the media don't like it  - at all.

They'd have loved if we'd done  a City or Chelsea and splurged. That Dan Burn and Schar and Jamaal and Sean and Murphs and Miggy are part of it..... they hate. Not enough glamour.

8 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

It doesn’t matter if Gordon was ahead of the keeper as long as he was behind Joelinton and the ball went backwards or level 

I know but from where I sit I couldn't see that but could see he was in advance of the keeper so we thought that's what it was  :thup:

48 hours later and the ranting, raving, crying and denial is still full volume across social media and every media pundit and ex-pro is wrong and Arsenal are right. The conspiracy theories put flat earthers to shame.

27 minutes ago, madras said:

This was 100% me

When it was finally given I'd long since sat down and was just shaking my head at how much of a fucking farce it all was. A classic of the VAR ruining the moment genre 

Just now, Kilcline said:

This was 100% me

When it was finally given I'd long since sat down and was just shaking my head at how much of a fucking farce it all was. A classic of the VAR ruining the moment genre 

Its just very modern entertainment................

A long pause before announcing the result.

I like Ian Wright a lot but he’s obviously very biased. Most neutral former footballers say that it wasn’t a foul by Joelinton. When you run it as a still it looks bad but the defender was already stooped before Jow leapt and put his arms forward. Defies belief how much chat there is about his arms meaning it’s a foul when they’re in a perfectly natural position and he doesn’t alter Gabriel’s position at all

1 hour ago, prefabtoon said:

https://www.geordiebootboys.com/match/miguel-almiron-did-something-to-william-saliba-that-no-other-premier-league-player-has-done-this-season/

No Premier League player had been able to dribble past William Saliba

Arsenal defender William Saliba has been absolutely exceptional so far this season, and is widely recognised as one of the Premier League’s elite centre-backs.

During the first 10 games of the season, not a single Premier League player had managed to dribble past the Frenchman, such is his dominance in the red of Arsenal.

However, that record tumbled in game number 11 courtesy of one of Eddie Howe’s men.

Miguel Almiron becomes the first as Newcastle beat Arsenal
According to Squawka, Miguel Almiron became the first Premier League player this season to dribble past Saliba during Newcastle’s 1-0 win.

Almiron had the speed to do what no other player has done this season, and it sums up how well the 29-year-old is playing right now.

The Paraguayan is enjoying a rich vein of form, and was outstanding during the win over Arsenal. His work rate down the right was sublime, while he was a constant threat on the break with his speed.

Combine that with his goal against Manchester United and it has been a brilliant few days in black and white for Miggy.

Hopefully this form can continue against Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League on Tuesday night, as Almiron and co head to Germany.

Wants to think himself lucky he wasn't up against Gordon, our real speed merchant.