NUFC Injuries and Suspensions

On 09/01/2024 at 21:40, FloydianMag said:

Shocking.

Kind of crazy how Moyes does so little rotation in any tournament and escapes with barely any injuries. Until now atleast, now they have a problem.

Edit: And Tonali doesn't even count in this stat..

Edited by Erikse

3 minutes ago, Mikky said:

Barnes if they operated would have been back by now

Bloody amateurs 

Equally if they’d operated on Botman he’d be out all season.

Swings and roundabouts.

“Jacob is close,” said Howe. “He has joined in training with us, although only on a non-contact basis. He’s been in and around the team though, which has been great. His personality is really good, so he’s been a big player to have back with us training.

“Harvey is getting closer. He hasn’t been training with the group, but he’s been running on the grass with his boots back on and he’s been kicking balls around. We’re pleased with his progress currently, but he still has a long way to go.”

Callum Wilson is also still recovering from his hamstring problems, but he too could be back in the side to face Villa at the end of this month.

“We’re well aware of what Callum’s problem is and the timescale on it,” said Howe. “We’re hoping that he can be back in and around for the Aston Villa game, that’s what we’re looking at. Obviously, if it takes a bit longer, we’ll take that time, but we don’t see it being a long-term issue.”

Sounds fairly promising on Barnes and Murphy when you read the quotes.  https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/24044732.newcastle-united-midfielder-joelinton-six-weeks/

Said it numerous times now but Murphy has been an enormous loss for us this season. He's such a key component of our pressing game, whether he's on the pitch or the bench. Put Willock and Barnes' absences on top of that and it's a disaster. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Said it numerous times now but Murphy has been an enormous loss for us this season. He's such a key component of our pressing game, whether he's on the pitch or the bench. Put Willock and Barnes' absences on top of that and it's a disaster. 

Tonali - Willock - Anderson - Barnes - Murphy 

All more or less been absent for circa 70% of the season - killed us

Just now, Mikky said:

Tonali - Willock - Anderson - Barnes - Murphy 

All more or less been absent for circa 70% of the season - killed us

Yep. Anderson is an 'underrated' absence too.

Just now, r0cafella said:

Not really, he’s still totally unproven at EPL level.  Was he this injured at Bristol?

Don't think he's 'totally unproven' at all. He's physically capable of playing a game of Premier League football and has contributed to plenty of positive results, so - at the very least - we've definitely missed his ability to alleviate pressure on those ahead of him in the pecking order. 

I'm yet to see it with Anderson when he plays centre mid.  But I always thought he looked really promising out wide.  More importantly, Howe seems to like and trust him.  

So instead of our wingers burning out whilst Hall and Ritchie sit on the bench.  Or playing the same CM's in 3 games across 6 days.  Or rushing CM's back from injury.  We would have had a genuine option for both these areas of the pitch.  

On 12/01/2024 at 12:30, r0cafella said:

Not really, he’s still totally unproven at EPL level.  Was he this injured at Bristol?

Yes really.

Proved he was at least good enough at this level to be a squad player. We have let in so many last 10 min goals this season if you haven’t noticed. Largely due to us not being able to bring on fresh legs.

Regardless of whether he was going to be a brilliant player or a solid squad player.

If you ask anyone at the football club his injury along with many others is a massive blow.

How fans can think he isn’t a miss is beyond me. Sorry

1 minute ago, Toon1892 said:

Yes really.

Proved he was at least good enough at this level to be a squad player. We have let in so many last 10 min goals this season if you haven’t noticed. Largely due to us not being able to bring on fresh legs.

Regardless of whether he was going to be a brilliant player or a solid squad player.

If you ask anyone at the football club his injury along with many others is a massive blow.

How fans can think he isn’t a miss is beyond me. Sorry

I don’t know if he’s a miss or not, the point I was making was I don’t consider him a proven player because he hasn’t done enough yet for me to vote him that way. 

45 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I don’t know if he’s a miss or not, the point I was making was I don’t consider him a proven player because he hasn’t done enough yet for me to vote him that way. 

How can’t he be a miss if we can’t make a substitute at the moment?

Of course he’s a miss. He was the best player in pre season.

On 12/01/2024 at 12:30, r0cafella said:

No. Joined 31.1.21 and then played 21 games the remainder of the season - out of 21 games, so 100% availability.

Since then he’s had a number of niggles - a hip injury that kept him out most of the first half of the 21/22 season, knocks and muscle injuries in 22/23 (mostly first quarter of the season) and now the back injury in 23/24. Unfortunate as it’s really meant a stop start time to his NUFC career proper.