Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Newcastle United (07/11/23)

Yorkie

6 minutes ago, Beren said:

I like them but Willock and Longstaff are not cut out for this level IMO. Willock hasn't got the guile. He got bullied by Adeyimi once, and was completely stunted thereafter mentally and physically.

While at this point in time I agree with you, longer term they're only going to benefit from games like today, this whole campaign was always going to be a learning experience for a lot of these players, and you'd hope that should we get in the Champions League against next season, they'll all be better for it.

6 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Agree with that, unless we got money for a couple of signings in january(which I doubt).

Europe League is up to 9 more games, too many for the current squad. Already seeing signs of tiredness in a couple of games now. Its only going to get worse.

Exactly - we've had a great adventure this year (still a couple of games to go) but the team already looks spent.  We've no bench to rest players. Europa League would just break them.

7 minutes ago, Beren said:

I like them but Willock and Longstaff are not cut out for this level IMO. Willock hasn't got the guile. He got bullied by Adeyimi once, and was completely stunted thereafter mentally and physically.

Completely disagree on Willock. Longstaff, I think you’re probably right. Creatively, he’s not able to offer enough and technically he can’t control the game in possession enough. Willock’s pace, his ability to drive forward with the ball, his little flicks, all of that means he is good enough but he needed Isak tonight 

6 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

They had the rub of the green, no doubt. More luck in the home game and we draw that. I don't think anyone can say we deserved to win either game though. Half the PL would quite clearly not bounce them about [emoji38]

I never said we did, I said a draw in the home game would have been fair. If Joelinton had scored that chance and we got a draw, you would say we deserved one tonight as well.

Aye, I mean not a chance Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Villa, Brighton, a fully fit Brentford, us fully fit doesn’t beat them?

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

I fucking hate MON.

He goes out of his way to have a go at us, and has a bit of arrogance about him. An absolutely over rated manager. Aye ok he well winning those cups for Leicester, but at Celtic he did what they would expect, spent a bit of money as well, then at Villa he chucked a fuck load of money at it.

Here here. The fucking cunt was on talksport and was backing the Legoman. When Simon Jordan is the voice of reason you know the person talking to him is a bewildered fuckstick

I think all of the following are true:

1) Dortmund are better than many want to give them credit for. Their only two losses this season are to PSG and Bayern Munich and we're just a few months removed from them throwing away the Bundesliga title on the final day. 

2) Bayern's 4-0 win provided some optimism, but teams don't usually come here and win. This past weekend was their first loss at home since August of 2022. 3 points was always going to be difficult even in the best of circumstances.

3) We didn't play particularly well, which was probably a mix of nerves and more importantly it being our sixth game in 17 days with almost an entire first XI out injured.

4) Every bounce of the ball in these two fixtures seemed to go their way. Some of that is a subtle quality they have and some is just bad luck like hitting the bar twice at SJP and a few silly things tonight.

With all that said we were fractions away from both games being 1-1 with 20-30 minutes to play and who knows what happens from there in either game. 

Not even that annoyed. We have competed with a decent CL regular across two tight games and just a bit of naivety and their experience and quality, has beaten us. 

I’m still not having that either game was some tactical masterclass from them. We just weren’t clinical or effective in the final third across 180 minutes and they were. Fine margins and we are still trying to become a CL regular like they are. 

Would have been nice to have played them with Isak and not half our team missing.

Livramento was class, as was Pope and I thought both Joes were and all, bar the miss, of course. Not sure what’s happened to Trippier. But may as well get him off set pieces now. 

Ah well. Focus on getting 3rd now. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

20 minutes ago, RS said:

We are only at the start of our new journey but some of the comments on here by the pissy-nickered brigade makes for tough reading.  Look where we are after a season and a half of new ownership man. 

We really should be used to these awful takes after every tough result, but they are still so shockingly delusional man, honestly. It's sickening.

Dortmund have too much Euro experience and it's shown over the 2 games. Putting the bed-wetters to one side, this CL journey was always gonna be an experience to enjoy and not expect too much from. We've come so far in the last two years and as someone else said earlier, it's the start of the journey. :thup:

Players gave their all tonight and a few look knackered after the last few weeks.  Gonna probs be a tussle with Milan to finish 3rd - even if we end up bottom of the group, no one will ever be able to take away the memories of us battering PSG at home. :)

No complaints from me. :thup:

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I fucking hate MON.

He goes out of his way to have a go at us, and has a bit of arrogance about him. An absolutely over rated manager. Aye ok he well winning those cups for Leicester, but at Celtic he did what they would expect, spent a bit of money as well, then at Villa he chucked a fuck load of money at it.

That Leicester side were fucking horrible to watch, too.  Proper hoofball merchants. 

1 minute ago, duo said:

Exactly - we've had a great adventure this year (still a couple of games to go) but the team already looks spent.  We've no bench to rest players. Europa League would just break them.

I don't think the next phase starts until February.

Just now, timeEd32 said:

1) Dortmund are better than many want to give them credit for. Their only two losses this season are to PSG and Bayern Munich and we're just a few months removed from them throwing away the Bundesliga title on the final day. 

Could have worked against us as well in that Dortmund had something extra to prove today, while we were coming off a high against Arsenal.

Just now, KetteringMag said:

Unfortunately with our injuries these games are an unwanted luxury at the moment , great to be vetting champions league nights but realistically we're a europa league level team at the moment.

Unwanted by who ? I want them . 

Obviously Dortmund are a quality side both home and away against us . They remind me of the way we play to a degree  Either game could have been a draw but unfortunately for us it wasn't . Still really proud of our lads and think we'll do well against PSG and AC 

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

Not even that annoyed. We have competed with a decent CL regular across two tight games and just a bit of naivety and their experience and quality, has beaten us. 

I’m still not having that either game was some tactical masterclass from them. We just weren’t clinical or effective in the final third across 180 minutes and they were. Fine margins and we are still trying to become a CL regular like they are. 

Would have been nice to have played them with Isak and not half our team missing.

Livramento was class and I thought both Joes were and all, bar the miss, of course. Not sure what’s happened to Trippier. But may as well get him off set pieces now. 

Ah well. Focus on getting 3rd now. 

100% spot on.

Trippier was annoying, but honestly, he has played too much this season.

Now Livramento has shown such a high level of play, once we get left backs healthy, Tino and Trippier need to be rotated a lot more.

Shame even now he has to keep playing with both Targett and Burn out injured.

Difficult to be too upset at him really.

1 minute ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Here here. The fucking cunt was on talksport and was backing the Legoman. When Simon Jordan is the voice of reason you know the person talking to him is a bewildered fuckstick

He’s on every so often. He was on a few weeks ago and he was saying that Tonali should get a very lengthy ban, doesn’t think he has an addiction, and wouldn’t care if he did, and also accused us of knowing about it. He virtually admitted that when he had players with mental health issues, he just said ‘There there, pull yourself together’ and left them to it.

The same day Jordon was blasting him about how he had players going to ground for free kicks and penalties. He was almost in tears trying to defend himself.

1 minute ago, madras said:

I don't think the next phase starts until February.

The schedule is already stuffed with PL and domestic cup games until then. 

Its not just that we have a limited squad, its also that our playstyle recuires alot of energy each game. Suspensions and long term injuries fucks us further.