Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Newcastle United (07/11/23)

Yorkie

Tbf it's all house money at this point with this groups first UCL run. Either sneak our way into a Europa spot, or we get some extra rest on the back end of the season to shore up our PL standing. No worries!

Edited by Upthemags

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

Can someone explain the Europa league thing again, 3rd place is automatic Europa?

Have to play a knockout round play off so will play more matches than if we qualified for the RO16 in the CL.

Dunno if it's warranted but feel quite deflated after that tonight. Performance wasn't awful by any means but walking up to SJP before the home game against these I thought we had a serious chance of progressing. Now its all but gone. Will have to win in Paris and v Milan. Just not happening with the state of the squad atm.

Annoying as shit, but explicable.

They were far more clinical over two legs. You can't afford to miss the amount of sitters we did, and not capitalise on the upswings.

The squad is knackered. Normally midway through the second half you'd expect a push, and you could just see the energy wasn't there. Dortmund looked sharper to second balls all night long. We know the squad, it's not a commitment issue - they're just gassed.

Having said that it was very naive defensively to concede that second. We've looked more vulnerable from our own set plays for a few weeks now.

Newcastle played scared for parts of the two legs (which is what annoys me most). I think the frequency of useless direct balls to Wilson indicates that was a Howe-tactic, which he got badly wrong and left an uphill battle in both games.

Champions League campaign is over. Play the kids and concentrate on getting back there IMO.

I really, really, really want to qualify the Champions League again and draw Dortmund.

Dortmund are a good side in moments, but I do think we could stuff them 4-0 on another day. Disappointing as fuck that's the account we've given of ourselves over two legs. Ugh.

5 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Learn what lesson? 

We hit the woodwork 3 times in the first game... and but for a shocking miss from Big Joe today it would be a different game completely. 

They're a quality team, but we haven't done bad, just fine margins. 

I'm almost certain some people are either not watching the games or genuinely don't even know what they're looking at and so might as well be watching water polo.

And so every result is some inquisition about lessons not learned and tactical or managerial nous.

It's so embarrassing man.

Edited by KaKa

Wanker opinion I'd have never usually have said but personally I'd rather just go out than drop into Europa League.

Don't like the idea of CL teams getting in via the back door anyway (this route gets plugged next year). We don't have the depth or quality to plough through from a round of 32 without it harming league form. Would rather focus on the domestic cups and the league.

Edited by ponsaelius

5 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

They have pressed the hell out of us tonight and we couldn't cope with it. Hammered us on the counter both home and away. They foul a lot but the idea that that was the reason they won is laughable [emoji38]

My point is that they have had the rub of the green, and haven’t looked anything special.

I watched them in the league a few weeks back, and despite winning they didn’t look all that there either.

If they came up against half the Premier League, then they would be bounced all over without much thought, just like Bayern Munich did to them at the weekend, hardly surprising really.

Guest reefatoon
3 minutes ago, Vaj said:

What a shit game. Some really poor performances from Trippier, Bruno and Longstaff. Best players haven’t turned up in either game against these and now CL looks almost over for the year. Hopefully we can at least beat AC Milan and keep our European journey alive post Christmas. 

[emoji38] you’re talking out your vaj.

Just now, ponsaelius said:

Wanker opinion I'd have never usually have said but personally I'd rather just go out than drop into Europa League.

Don't like the idea of CL teams getting in via the back door anyway (this route gets plugged next year). We don't have the depth or quality to plough through from a round of 32 without it harming league form. Would rather focus on the domestic cups and the league.

I feel similar really. Something off about entering it as losers of the proper thing. 

I like them but Willock and Longstaff are not cut out for this level IMO. Willock hasn't got the guile. He got bullied by Adeyimi once, and was completely stunted thereafter mentally and physically.

3 minutes ago, duo said:

If we don't qualify for CL - I want us to gan home.  Our squad is just battered - we need what we have left to focus on the league.

Agree with that, unless we got money for a couple of signings in january(which I doubt).

Europe League is up to 9 more games, too many for the current squad. Already seeing signs of tiredness in a couple of games now. Its only going to get worse.

Just now, maybe_next_year said:

Meh, Dortmund were good, very good. We're just not there yet in our journey where we can compete on so many fronts with so many injuries. 

Appropriate user name [emoji38]

Beaten by the better , more seasoned team on the night. We changed things after going a goal down, had a go and came up short. Good experience for a lot of the players and for Eddie who seems to learn from every defeat. Ref was good, just didn't quite get the luck we needed and of course hampered by lack of options due to injuries and fatigue. No shame , they gave their all. Howay the lads !!

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

My point is that they have had the rub of the green, and haven’t looked anything special.

I watched them in the league a few weeks back, and despite winning they didn’t look all that there either.

If they came up against half the Premier League, then they would be bounced all over without much thought, just like Bayern Munich did to them at the weekend, hardly surprising really.

They had the rub of the green, no doubt. More luck in the home game and we draw that. I don't think anyone can say we deserved to win either game though. Half the PL would quite clearly not bounce them about [emoji38]

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I don’t think it should happen either - but I’d be happy for us to take the opportunity.  It does undermine the UEFA Cup though. 

6 minutes ago, Checko said:

Guys look tired. Dortmund clearly deserved to win. Just more technical quality on the ball than anything.

Hopefully a good experience for some of our young players.

Thought Tino impressed again & was our best players, particularly at fullback, which I think suits him better than winger.

Yeah, agreed. We absolutely cannot afford to not have the likes of Isak and Tonali available at this level, regarding your point on technical quality.