Premiership Keeper Poll

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I dread seeing Cech behind Carr, Baba and Bramble.

Given absolutely knocks the spots off him tbh.

I'm not so sure tbh. We seem to concede a lot of our goals from set pieces/crosses, and I think Cech commands his box better than Shay does, and is better at getting to the deliveries in the first place.

you don't half talk some shit at times

That a fact?

Could say exactly the same thing about you mate.

I'm not so sure tbh. We seem to concede a lot of our goals from set pieces/crosses, and I think Cech commands his box better than Shay does, and is better at getting to the deliveries in the first place.

Yeah, we do concede a lot from set pieces, but is that really that much to do with Given? Yes - a goalkeeper should command his box, however i think Given does. I'd put it down more to incompetence from our defenders, rather than lack of communication (etc) from the goalkeeper. And Given's catching has improved immensely through the years, i reckon.

I just think Shay's a better all-round keeper than Cech. Plus, Cech cocks up - like i said in my previous post, he lacks concentration at times. You rarely see Shay Given make a real howler, whereas Cech has done it three or four times since he's come to Chelsea.

I'm probably missing atleast one here... but the last real cock-up i can think of Given making, was when he flew out of his area to close down a Wolves striker, back in 2003/04. The striker promptly took the ball round him and scored.

Cech's only young though (in goalkeeper years), he'll certainly get better. Keepers tend to hit their best form once they've reached 30.

How many times do you see Given come out for a cross taking everything in it's path a la Cech, Lehmann or van der Sar?

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I was talking about. I think possibly Cech would inspire more confidence in our back four, whereas sometimes I get the impression that they're unsure as to who should be dealing with the ball in.

That is a joke if Given was not at Newcastle he would not be up there. NAme one good thing about him apart from Shotstopping?? Igf he were so good why didn't a big club pick him up 2 or 3 years ago when he was wanting to leave. I winder. CEch or Given. Reina or Given. Dont be stupid

I sort of see what you are coming from a few years ago but Given has improved vastly last few years... also comparing Shay Given to Jose Peipe *I apply oil to my hands before games*Reina... you joking right?

That a fact?

didn't mean to offend but just about any defender would opt for Cech over Given, his ability to take the pressure off those in front of him is immense. I've only seen Pagliuca, Lehman and Schmeichal do it just as well

Given is constantly rooted to his spot and there has been a few times when goals and even games lost have been his fault.  He does though more than make up for it with some unreal saves.

How many times do you see Given come out for a cross taking everything in it's path a la Cech, Lehmann or van der Sar?

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I was talking about. I think possibly Cech would inspire more confidence in our back four, whereas sometimes I get the impression that they're unsure as to who should be dealing with the ball in.

You're probably right about Cech... i'd probably consider him for my Top 3. However, i certainly wouldn't call him the best keeper - i honestly couldn't tell you who is. Nevertheless, i still feel that Cech is overrated, and Chelsea's lack of goals conceded is primarily down to the sheer quality that they have in their defense, it's not largely down to Cech. He's just the cherry on top, as apposed to the 'cake'.

Look at me getting all metaphorical.

That a fact?

didn't mean to offend

:thup:

To be fair most goalies in this league are excellent and there's really not much between the best and the worst. However I think the best goalie, week to week, is David James. Awesome player 9 games in 10, its just that 10th game that counts against him and puts him in amongst the rest. Maybe my opinion is tainted by him being a City player but even if he isn't the best goalie in the prem, he is definetly Englands #1. I voted for him, and Petr Cech.

Re: Isaksson - Only time I've seen him in a City shirt he was awesome. Much better player than Weaver who has hardly made a save all season but is keeping his place on sentimentality (Been injured for a few years) and not making any mistakes.

Isaksson was immense in the WC. especially in the game against the Germans.

Ben Foster is also pretty underrated.

What a surprise, all of the cretins who have Given as the best keeper in the league need to have a word with themselves tbh

Can't kick, can't command his box, no conviction when coming through a crowd of players and tries his best to dive OUT of the way of penalties.

He's a good shot-stopper.  That is all.

There are at least half a dozen keepers I'd have in front of him and probably even closer to a full dozen.  If he is that good why hasn't he been snapped up by another team?

Haahahaahahahaa, fuck me sideways.  Just seen Harper as an option :D :D :D

Jaaskelainen gave one of the best goalkeeping peformances I've seen for a very long time at our place this season.

David James has been excellent all season.

Ben Foster is, I think, the most promising young keeper around.