Your own football ability - how good are/were you?

Big Geordie

Obsessed with playing from about 3 until 13. Played on after that but not with as much intensity. Was usually the best player in my friendship group, played a year up at school, had county trials every year but never got on to the team. Wasn’t fast but understood the game and could shoot/pass accurately and dribble well. Played striker or centre half depending on need in the team. Injured my knee ligaments in my early 20’s and was never the same. Nothing has ever given my more enjoyment than playing football like, I don’t mind admitting that. Got my coaching badge in my early 20’s and I now coach my boy’s U8 team.

58 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You’re David Burt?  I remember you as a player.  Excellent winger.  Mind, I probably saw you and your teammates more often than Keegan did … (happily, times seem to have changed re chances for the young players)

Yes that’s me , I should of pushed on further but Gullit released me 

He was arrogant as xxxx

We had Keegan , Dalglish and Ruud Gullit in my time

Unbelievable times at Durham / Maiden castle.

Training with the first team , shearer, Beardsley , Ginola , Tino , Gillespie , Ferdinand 

Standards of training was probably like Man City now 

Guest reefatoon
13 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

He was arrogant as xxxx

Training with the first team , shearer, Beardsley , Ginola , Tino , Gillespie , Ferdinand 

Class man. So many questions about your username now [emoji38]

Got megged 3 times in first 10 mins playing right back for Stocksfield under 11’s against Hexham in 1988. Swear down the kid on their left wing was a babyfaced David Ginola 

Our star strikers dad was on the touch line shouting at me to close my legs and sort my life out 

My career never recovered after that and I focused on fingering lasses and cricket rather than playing footy 

Edited by bobbydazzla

2 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Got megged 3 times in first 10 mins playing right back for Stocksfield under 11’s against Hexham in 1988. Swear the kid on their left wing was a babyfaced David Ginola 

Out star strikers dad was on the touch line shouting at me to close my legs and sort my life out 

My career never recovered after that and I focused on fingering lasses rather than playing footy 

:lol:

20 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

He was arrogant as xxxx

Was it you who got Didi Hamann Mein Kampf for Secret Santa?

22 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

He was arrogant as xxxx

Yeah, you looked like you could make it tbh - you reminded me of Gillespie at the time.  I can imagine Gullit was a complete arse - plenty of stories around about just how self-obsessed the bloke is / was.  He was an extraordinary player, but a terrible manager

9 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Got megged 3 times in first 10 mins playing right back for Stocksfield under 11’s against Hexham in 1988. Swear the kid on their left wing was a babyfaced David Ginola 

Out star strikers dad was on the touch line shouting at me to close my legs and sort my life out 

My career never recovered after that and I focused on fingering lasses and cricket rather than playing footy 

Hilariously, playing right back for Stocksfield was where I got a couple of run-outs in my late teens.  At one point I played a floated back-pass which our keeper suddenly made a meal of and I nearly managed to score a 25-yard OG as a consequence. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Hilariously, playing right back for Stocksfield was where I got a couple of run-outs in my late teens.  At one point I played a floated back-pass which our keeper suddenly made a meal of and I nearly managed to score a 25-yard OG as a consequence. 

Goal like that would have been headline news on the back page of the Courant 

Just now, bobbydazzla said:

Goal like that would have been headline news on the back page of the Courant 

I’m just pleased that no camera phones existed.  It was a gently lofted curling pass, which would have landed at the keepers feet if he hadn’t - for no hood reason - decided to run towards it and try to control it with his chest 

I played on occasion against Paul Dummett just on the field by mine and he was obviously a cut above. He was 3 years below me at school and it was an age where you should never be getting skinned by someone 3 years below, even if they're better than you - but he'd show me up. Can't say I had my eye on him being PL pro though. There were a few others I did think might and never did more than lower non-league.

Ryan Donaldson played in a cub-scout tournament and I believe he was disqualified for being underage (Beaver playing for the Cubs :lol:)- which would only be complained about cos he was class.

Edited by Superior Acuña

I wasn't a big fan of football growing up and if I'm being honest with myself I doubt football would have been a big fan of me. Having said that I won a game of 3 and in against all the top players in my school in year 11, a prize I will take to my grave :lol:

16 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

It's a great sport and great crack if you're in a team and all pals. 

Deffo better if you're getting 100k a week for it but there is alot to be said for just being involved at any level. 

This absolutely.

My oldest mates put together a team after high school and that team stuck together in one form or another for over 20 years. We're still very close and 18 of us spent 10 days in England this year on a (mainly football) cultural tour. (We all live in or near Sydney.)

Lifelong mates. Would never have happened without football.

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, you looked like you could make it tbh - you reminded me of Gillespie at the time.  I can imagine Gullit was a complete arse - plenty of stories around about just how self-obsessed the bloke is / was.  He was an extraordinary player, but a terrible manager

I remember reading a story about him in an English cinema translating a film to Dutch for his companion, in a loud voice, and completely oblivious of the many shooshers around him.

What an arse.

2 hours ago, Coastie said:

I remember reading a story about him in an English cinema translating a film to Dutch for his companion, in a loud voice, and completely oblivious of the many shooshers around him.

What an arse.

While I have to say I did actually laugh out loud reading your comment, it was only about the incredible arrogance of the man actually doing this.  What a complete wanker. 

8 hours ago, JonBez comesock said:

He was arrogant as xxxx

What a cool post to have on this forum. 

On 23/11/2023 at 18:28, gbandit said:

There was a lad in my year who I was sure would go pro but he was released by Sunderland the year they got relegated and when he was graduating from their academy. Steven Taylor was in the year above, never rated him as highly as the lad in my year 

You went to Monkseaton High?

19 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I went to school with him and I'd love to say he was shite, but the truth is he was a few years younger than me and I really can't remember whether he was rated in the school or not tbh. Think I might have played at the same time as him on the field once or twice but my memory's hazy. I think he was at the Sunderland academy at the time. Stuart Nicholson who went on to play for West Brom and a few others was good though. I'll resist the urge to go on about how good David Borley was again. :lol:

I knew of a lad who was in the academy at the same time as Peter Ramage and he kicks himself for being a bit of a hot head and not sticking in because he reckons everyone would have said Ramage was the least likely to make it, but he got there by working hard and being a bit of a teacher's pet.

Played against Ramage a few times at school level. He was fine, nowt more.