Your own football ability - how good are/were you?

Big Geordie

Started out as a right back, under 11s and 12s won the league and cup back to back. Then a few kids left and we finished 6th or some shit. I then left and stopped playing from age 14 until about 17, huge regret tbh. Reinvented myself as a box to box midfielder, then slowly moved up to a number 10 (who couldn't finish very well :lol: ) then at 21 I tore my ACL. Took just under a year to get back playing again but never bothered with 11 a side after that, just five and seven a side. Have played one game in the last 3 years :lol:

Played for school and university, originally as a full-back at school, ending up in goal, and then reverting to full-back at university. Played centre-half for Sunday league sides as I got older. Decent passer of a ball and crosser from deep, but chronically slow after having perthes disease as a kid, so was never in danger of playing at a higher level. My eldest brother got as far as Newcastle reserves and England schoolboy caps, and my other brother got to county level.

Guest reefatoon
38 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

I could run and I could hoof the ball. Thats about it. [emoji38]

@reefatoon was very good I seem to remember.

Ahh cheers man. It’s all I lived for when I was young. Played some games for the county, played in the under 19 northern youth league when I was 14, was offered trials for Hartlepool at that time too, but I didn’t fancy it. Then around 16, I found the pure joys of drinking on Wallsend high street. Career over [emoji38]

Scored from inside my own half once for my college against a uni side.

Had a left foot and could run a bit. Now I've just got a bit of a left foot and two very broken achilles.

Cricket was always number one for me. Somehow made it to the NEPL for a very short while, can't complain.

Played for the school, college and Sunday league teams and would score a worldie every 3 or 4 games, but would drift in and out of games but was rapid, I suppose I was a bit of a luxury player 😆.

I once Played against a lad who was supposedly on Man Utd's books and he turned me in and out all game, which kind of made me realise my level.

One lad that was in my year turned pro and had canny career - Dave Walton, who was a centre half for Shrewsbury, Crewe and Derby back in the 90's/early-mid 2000's. Told me a few months ago that he nearly signed for Birmingham when Trevor Francis was manager- didn't come off though.

A few years ago me and a few of the lads had a skinful down st peters ironically where Stanley fc came from. 

On the way over to ouseburn we challenged these kids in byker to 5 aside even though we had 4 and they had about 13. 

With rushy keeper we found ourselves 0-3 down straight away. However, we made a tactical change and decided to have someone in goal. I then scored 5 goals against the kids and one of the other pissed lads added a sixth. It may only have been against bairns but for pissed cunts it was probably the greatest comeback of all time.

There was a lad in my year who I was sure would go pro but he was released by Sunderland the year they got relegated and when he was graduating from their academy. Steven Taylor was in the year above, never rated him as highly as the lad in my year 

My great grandad played for Coventry and Bristol city but got shot in the hip in WW1 and played non league after. My grandad was a great amateur cricketer. My fatha played football, Rugby, hockey,  cricket and boxed for the Royal Marines and declined a contract offer from spurs as a keeper in the early 60’s. Both my nephews are professional sportsmen, one of them about as well known and well regarded in his sport as it’s possible to be. 
I couldn’t find my own arse in the bath. 

Never had any confidence at school due to everyone else being class. I played more rugby initially. 

Only when I got to Durham uni I realised that every lad wasn’t inherently brilliant at football :lol:  

That gave me a bit of a boost and enjoy smaller sided football to this day. Think my peak was probably early 30s, although I would probably be still about the same if I could get a bit fitter. 

Been quite lucky with injuries except sprained ankles so I still enjoy playing now. 

Every experience of amateur 11 a-side has been dire and can’t understand how anyone enjoys it. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

6 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Pretty shite, but I didn't start playing football at all until I was 11/12ish. Always felt I was playing catch up because of that.

Aye, I wasn’t into it at all until about 14. Still never attended any form of football training or coaching :lol:

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I was OK at school (left back) but lacked confidence. On leaving school the confidence came, played Sunday league for about 3months before jacking it in due to being able to get passed anyone but not able to keep away. The violence wasn't worth it. Played 5 a side at Eldon Square for about a dozen years and the odd game of 11 a side just to fill in.

All left foot, great eye for a pass, hard shot, naturally defensive, no pace.