Paris Saint-Germain 1-1 Newcastle United (28/11/23) | Reaction: pg. 52 | Goal-post: OP

Disco

It's not hard to understand man, they either punish blatantly accidental handballs or they don't. It's only a mistake because of the inconsistency.

We can argue about what the actual rules should be, and what constitutes 'accidental' or 'unnatural', but in last nights game they applied their own interpretation of the rules inconsistently.

3 hours ago, gbandit said:

I generally quite enjoy Jonathan Liew’s sport takes but he’s clearly just decided to go for something that he knows will provoke a reaction. A lot of his writing is like that but often founded on a truth. Acting like we weren’t robbed yesterday to try and inflame our fans is a very weird line to take from a sports fan 

Liew's tweet last night showed a (wilful?) lack of understanding of the ebbs and flows of a football match.  PSG were chasing the game from the 23rd minute.  The final stats make PSG look dominant but I assume the first half stats were fairly even as they felt as though they were.  And most observers would say we shaded it, both on and off the ball.

Yeah,. we dug in in the second half but as above and he's also ignoring the context.  We didn't make a sub and we are down to our bare bones.  Of course we were hanging on.

I've seen Liew pontificating on SSN a few times and noticed the guy never smiles even when the conversation is lighthearted.  Takes himself way too seriously.  Get on the list :lol:

Unsure if already posted but this is on nufc.com via the BBC:

UEFA has stood down the VAR who made the decision to guide the referee to give PSG their penalty last night.

Tomasz Kwiatkowskiwas supposed to be VAR for the Real Sociedad v RB Salzburg Champions League game this evening. However, he has now been replaced.

Although UEFA are yet to make a public statement over the decision to award PSG a penalty deep into stoppage time against Newcastle last night, it is the clearest indication yet the think the ruling was incorrect.

Everything aside, I can't recall ever being prouder of a performance of ours than that last night. 

It had everything - guile, nous, effort, resilience.  Insanely impressive in the circumstances.

Edited by Interpolic

1 hour ago, CheikBoom said:

Honestly struggling to be angry despite VAR last night.

On the cusp of December, half a squad missing and still in all competitions. We're absolutely smashing it! We're within reach in the league and we can still guarantee some form of Europe. The sheer depths this team keeps going too will never not amaze me. We're over performing & consistently sticking two fingers up to every one who writes us off. We won't have a harder season than this (FFP), we will only improve and we'll be hated even more. 

Give me a team and manager that plays the way we do week in and week out... I'd die a happy man! 

Amen

7 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Do people feel more sick about last night or the Liverpool games this season and last?

Liverpool hurt much more as it felt partly our fault, yesterday we couldn't have done more and got robbed. Fuck them, we'll get there.

15 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Do people feel more sick about last night or the Liverpool games this season and last?

Liverpool games

Just feel huge pride in last night. Even the joke of a decision won't dampen that for me

1 hour ago, CheikBoom said:

Honestly struggling to be angry despite VAR last night.

On the cusp of December, half a squad missing and still in all competitions. We're absolutely smashing it! We're within reach in the league and we can still guarantee some form of Europe. The sheer depths this team keeps going too will never not amaze me. We're over performing & consistently sticking two fingers up to every one who writes us off. We won't have a harder season than this (FFP), we will only improve and we'll be hated even more. 

Give me a team and manager that plays the way we do week in and week out... I'd die a happy man! 

Cracking post.

18 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Liverpool. I feel hard done by for last night, but immensely proud. A healthier team would have won outright. That Liverpool game fucked me up.